Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hobbies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Hobbies 
    C-Moto Noob
    Well, I would not call "dieting" or "lifestyle changes" necessarily hobbies, but outside of these issues we all share, what else are you interested in?

I like to do some genealogical digging.

I have become more interested in history since my son has been getting older.

As a family, we have enjoyed going out and exploring our home state. You never know when you may have to relocate and wonder "I wish I had done that while I lived there".

I also like to scrapbook. I am a bit behind but I still have my things organized and ready to pick up where I left off.

2. #2 Re: Hobbies 
    Hobbies, well, with me they vary, it seems I go through phases with them, but I have a core of hobbies I do, which seem to be by them lasting a few years, more like permanent hobbies, these would include Landscape and urban photography, metal smithing to include precious metals, gems and black smithing, I also dance, an ethnic Egyptian dance called raks sharqi, also erroneously known as belly dance.

A hobby that comes and goes with me, is that of restoration, the restoration of things that come my way, a hobby that I have taken to understand is because of my need to know how things work and what I can teach myself in the process. Currently my restoration project is my bike, this time last year, it was a retro mountain bike a few years back, it was a 1979 VW combi/camper and prior to that the thing that taught me mechanics and welding was a 1955 series one Land- Rover which I got with a snapped chassis and cracked engine block, plenty of skills needed with that thing, but I got it sorted eventually, and even fitted it with an aviation quality wiring loom made out of fire proof wiring and quality connections, something I am repeating with my bike, less the fireproof wire, but there will be no electrical problems due to poor connections with this bike.

Things currently I am trying to learn, which might become a hobby, if I can learn some rhythm that is, is tabla drumming, with an Egyptian doumbeck.

3. #3 Re: Hobbies 
    Tabla drumming is insane but what a great percussion sound to add to almost any jam. I'm a djembe man myself as I think they're one of the most versatile hand drums on the planet full capable of kickin' huge low while keeping nice and snappy highs.

AND NOW FOR YOUR TABLA LEARNING ENJOYMENT!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #4 Re: Hobbies 
    Yeah, the djembe, most around here that drum use those, and they are very versatile, but there are a few doumbek players, they being good with the light and fast drum. I recently met with some of the drumming friends at a commune and we spent the night drumming and dancing to a mixture of North African and West African rhythms, djembes and doumbeks together, so simple enjoyment.

My kind of drumming, and my favourite dancer

5. #5 Re: Hobbies 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hobbies? Don't know if you would call it a hobby or not....42 years of Tae Kwon Do training and teaching. 30 years of drag racing. had to give that up when I came to China. I've looked and looked..can't find a dragstrip anywhere that isn't covered with taxis and pedestrians.

Lots of thing I used to do, I can't do any longer in China. I used to build cars, race cars, build custom choppers.

I am going to attempt...attempt mind you! to buy or lifetime lease a traditional walled courtyard home and turn it into a palace. That little quest will start as the weather gets warmer. One thing I can do anywhere is design and build a home. Some place are more difficult than others, but it is possible everywhere.

6. #6 Re: Hobbies 
    LH,

There are plenty of GongFu places in Chengdu. Some are formal and others are informal. There's a serious formal school about 1 hour SW of the city which is a HARD CORE self defense class. From what I understand it was a JeetKundo based school with a little Wushu mixed in. It's straight up no nonsense, how to take a person down and out training...like a body guard training of sorts. Informally there are little lessons held all over the city by old dudes (who I still wouldn't mess with) that have students for free in the early morning hours. Gotta find those in the nooks and crannies though.

Your courtyard project sounds sweet! I got some friend who currently live in such a place near the "Flower City" south of the Chendu a little ways... a few kms past teh normal university. They're in a band and have been living there for quite some time. They enjoy the quiet and relatively low rent but the major issue (to me) with those places is lack of facilities like gas and power. Not that you can't find them, mind you, but it may be a little more difficult. Either way, I'm sure it will be an adventure... like everything else in China. Would you do all the work yourself or contract some out?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #7 Re: Hobbies 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I found a TKD school not too far from my home. I work out there with the classes, but they are young kids, so it is mostly just for the exercise. Also have the instructor to spar with. He's only a 4th Black, but he is pretty good...what he lacks in technique, he makes up for in speed. He's young so he has lots of time to improve. I tell him every time I see him that he needs to work on his balance...That pisses him off and he is easy to defeat! Not badmouthing him, he is a good guy and he works real hard with his students. He doesn't have anyone to help him with his technique except now me. He has been pretty much on his own for training for the past five years. I may teach some classes next year. There aren't many BB TKD practitioners here, so that would limit my teaching. I don't want to teach colored belts. I did that for twenty years. My focus for teaching would be only BB's. From what I can find out, I am the highest ranking TKD practitioner in Sichuan province. I need to find an 8th Dan so I can have a mentor to be able to test for my 8th.

I'd like to talk to your friends that live in one. I have many questions! I would do everything myself that would make sense to do. If the tools would require a greater expense than having the work done, then I would contract it out. There are some things that I would do no matter what the cost, mostly because I would never be able to explain what I want to someone else. Looking forward to the project if I can get it off the ground!

8. #8 Re: Hobbies 
    well if I talk about my hobby so it is racing and long street driving. I love to drive. When I was in 10 years I have been driving to my car , I done many stunt and dropped many time but that stuff is still working that I never stop to do that because its my hobby.

9. #9 Re: Hobbies 
    C-Moto Noob
    My favourite hobby is riding sports bike in different tracks with stunt .I joy my hobby with my friend every weekend.

10. #10 Re: Hobbies 
    C-Moto Senior
    Well other then fleckling with my Honda GL1000 1975 (1st Edition) I collect shirts ,I have over 50,,god knows how I got in to this,,troulbe is the more you get the harder it is to decide what to wear..Next I collect Royal Stafford China (Olde English Gardene)....lastly I have a thing about tools,,,I love small box sets that the chinese seem partically fond off...I wish I had a garage big enough to be able to collect m/bikes..I love the styling on the lastest chinese big bikes like the Keeway 600 and Cf650 (they seem good enough to buy,and cheap enough to collect) oh I have a thing about 70s dirt bikes too...and new Chinese dirt bikes too,,,and I could go on!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast