Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Chains and Sprockets ? 
    I will have to replace the chain and front sprocket at least, maybe the rear too, but my local dealer says the rear sprocket for the Pulse adrenaline is 51 teeth, my bike has a 48 tooth rear sprocket. Now I have a spare rear sprocket, another 48 tooth gear, but which is correct, a 51 tooth rear or a 48 tooth rear ? The front sprocket is 15 teeth, the same as the replacement, so no worries on that one.

If I opt for the 48 tooth rear ring, what would that give me over the 51 tooth ring, if anything, it is acceleration I would rather have over top end speed.

Also I understand the chain has a pitch of 428, but how many links should it have ? The reason I am asking on this one, is because I am going to investigate other makes of chain as an alternative the Pulse parts which I notice tend to be quite expensive.

How often should a chain and sprockets be replaced, I understand if it looks shot, replace the lot, but is there a rule of thumb, a ratio of how many chains to replace before the sprockets get replaced ? My mountain bike the rule of thumb I use is two chain replacements with the same sprockets, the third chain replacement, the sprockets get changed at that point, is there something similar for motorcycles ?

2. #2 Re: Chains and Sprockets ? 
    Hi Sprocket, looks like you're having fun with your project. There's no rule when it comes to the number of teeth on the sprocket, just like your bicycle, it's a matter of personal preference. If you want more snap off the line, the 51 will be better, but there's not much difference between a 48 and 51. Some of these bikes came with 520 chain and others came with 428. The 428 is lighter, the 520 maybe a bit more durable. Although people argue the point, many believe the entire drive system should be replaced at the same time. How long it all lasts is a matter of materials. I had a 630 O-ring chain on my Yamaha FJ1100 and it went 40,000 miles before it needed to be replaced. My Galaxy XTR250 came with a 520 and was shot after 800 kilometers.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: Chains and Sprockets ? 
    Thanks, seeing as I am considering a chain and sprocket change, a more durable 520 pitch is something to consider as durability is something I am seeking, hence my rust proofing and electrics waterproofing exploits. I also notice there seems to be more choice available for after market components in the 520 pitch, and there better prices, so I am looking into the change. So, how can I do it, is it just a case of getting sprockets and chain in 520 pitch or what ?

I also notice places like JT Sprockets do not list for the Pioneer, Pulse or Quingi, so I am left with just what is the drive train modelled on, I need it seems a popular Japanese bike model to start looking for the relevant information like diameter of sprockets, bolt pattern and dimensions to fit my hub and then, take it from there, unless anyone has any more useful information ?

4. #4 Re: Chains and Sprockets ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Sprocket,

Have you looked at Forchetto's post here..
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...prockets/page6

I can recommend www.wemoto.com as well for ordering parts....I ordered my rear sprocket lunchtime one day and it arrived next morning.

5. #5 Re: Chains and Sprockets ? 
    senior member of mcm
    Hi Sprocket, i can recommend i chain i bought recently off ebay... he sells many parts too for Chinese bikes... here`s the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLD-CHAIN-FOR...item518fd1a86f ...hope that helps m8, oh and they have a website also, http://www.tormoto.co.uk/

6. #6 Re: Chains and Sprockets ? 
    Ooo, thanks to both Ian and Skyteam, UK advice is very helpful, but thanks to all of you that have offered advice to my query.

I have just taken a chance with a Hi-Flo oil filter I ordered off ebay, a HF131, this came about by noticing there was a HF131 listed under parts for the Sinnis Apache, yet Sinnis is not mentioned on the Hiflofiltro website, nor is anything I recognise bar Suzuki, the DR125 takes the HF131 oil filter, so all in all, I hope it works out, and if it does I will report here. Oh, the HF131 I bought using the lowest price and postage function, so about £3 cheaper than the item listed for the Sinnis Apache.

I have also noticed Hiflofiltro manufacture replacement air filters of the more reliable and functional performance kind and many I have noticed bear a striking resemblance to the OEM filter which someone here mentioned as a shapeless lump of yellow sponge, I quite agree. Looking under Suzuki, there is nothing listed for the Suzuki DR125, but there are filters listed for later models which use the two stage filtration system ( is that what it is on our machines?), anyway the filtration assembly does look the same, and there are four part numbers of filters, one of which might fit, so I have more research to do on the airfilter options, but again will report my findings, when I have selected the right part.