I will have to replace the chain and front sprocket at least, maybe the rear too, but my local dealer says the rear sprocket for the Pulse adrenaline is 51 teeth, my bike has a 48 tooth rear sprocket. Now I have a spare rear sprocket, another 48 tooth gear, but which is correct, a 51 tooth rear or a 48 tooth rear ? The front sprocket is 15 teeth, the same as the replacement, so no worries on that one.

If I opt for the 48 tooth rear ring, what would that give me over the 51 tooth ring, if anything, it is acceleration I would rather have over top end speed.

Also I understand the chain has a pitch of 428, but how many links should it have ? The reason I am asking on this one, is because I am going to investigate other makes of chain as an alternative the Pulse parts which I notice tend to be quite expensive.

How often should a chain and sprockets be replaced, I understand if it looks shot, replace the lot, but is there a rule of thumb, a ratio of how many chains to replace before the sprockets get replaced ? My mountain bike the rule of thumb I use is two chain replacements with the same sprockets, the third chain replacement, the sprockets get changed at that point, is there something similar for motorcycles ?