Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 hi guys (n gals) 
    I used to ride a lot, british bikes and a couple of japs but on the road unless there wasn't one. But that is all decades ago and despite a back injury I decided to get a m'bike again to escape fire in an emergency (I live in the Aussie bush and last year a few hundred got killed so ... I don't intend to finish my run black and crispy). Ended up with a Kinlon RT200 by an error of the suppliers but decided I liked the look of it. Not the best way to get a bike but I was broke and got it new for $2000 aus. ... !!! Don't look gift horses in the mouth, just screw the bolts in with loctite is what I reckon.
    It rides like a donkey, no snap, no go, starts when it wants to, back wiggles all over the place, but heck I love it. It scares me not because it is fast but because I have forgotten how to ride. I took the stickers off it so in my old black leathers and new full face (hate 'em) helmet I look like a young Batman on this shiny black beast. The lasses look admiringly until I take off the helmet and undo the leather jacket, then the belly falls out and the wrinkles sag but its a good fantasy for five minutes.
    Bloody ozzy bastards reckon despite an international full bike license I still had to take a learners test for a couple of hundred bucks and all that, I nearly failed it as my skid stops in two meters are not allowed, they reckon pile in a straight line into the side of a truck over seven meters and you are better off. Now I will have to find another few hundred bucks and take the full license test to prove I am all grown up.
    Gone through two cheap batteries in 240km so finally got a decent one, finally worked out the choke is back to front, stopped worrying about the screeching front brake, replaced a couple of bolts. All is good.
    It will not under any conditions apart from downhill with a tail wind do 100 kph and as someone on this forum already noted, it starts to slow itself down when approaching those revs but I have promised myself a new rear sprocket and semi-road tyres after I pass 1000 km. Here's hoping!
    japebike.jpg
    Last edited by jape; 01-06-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added pic of kinlon