Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 hi guys (n gals) 
    I used to ride a lot, british bikes and a couple of japs but on the road unless there wasn't one. But that is all decades ago and despite a back injury I decided to get a m'bike again to escape fire in an emergency (I live in the Aussie bush and last year a few hundred got killed so ... I don't intend to finish my run black and crispy). Ended up with a Kinlon RT200 by an error of the suppliers but decided I liked the look of it. Not the best way to get a bike but I was broke and got it new for $2000 aus. ... !!! Don't look gift horses in the mouth, just screw the bolts in with loctite is what I reckon.
    It rides like a donkey, no snap, no go, starts when it wants to, back wiggles all over the place, but heck I love it. It scares me not because it is fast but because I have forgotten how to ride. I took the stickers off it so in my old black leathers and new full face (hate 'em) helmet I look like a young Batman on this shiny black beast. The lasses look admiringly until I take off the helmet and undo the leather jacket, then the belly falls out and the wrinkles sag but its a good fantasy for five minutes.
    Bloody ozzy bastards reckon despite an international full bike license I still had to take a learners test for a couple of hundred bucks and all that, I nearly failed it as my skid stops in two meters are not allowed, they reckon pile in a straight line into the side of a truck over seven meters and you are better off. Now I will have to find another few hundred bucks and take the full license test to prove I am all grown up.
    Gone through two cheap batteries in 240km so finally got a decent one, finally worked out the choke is back to front, stopped worrying about the screeching front brake, replaced a couple of bolts. All is good.
    It will not under any conditions apart from downhill with a tail wind do 100 kph and as someone on this forum already noted, it starts to slow itself down when approaching those revs but I have promised myself a new rear sprocket and semi-road tyres after I pass 1000 km. Here's hoping!
    japebike.jpg
    Last edited by jape; 01-06-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added pic of kinlon

2. #2 Re: hi guys (n gals) 
    Thank you jape, that was a great introduction and one of the best Chinese bike summaries I've heard in a long time .

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: hi guys (n gals) 
    I second ChinaV's sentiment and thanks for taking the time to write and earnest intro!

As I'm sure you've figured out already, there are couple more folks on MCM in the land of OZ riding Kinlon's. If I recall correctly, there are some suppliers in Oz that ahve upgraded carbs for your bike which may eek out a little more juice without requiring too much other "tuning".

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with your project and best of wishes on getting your licensed status again. I think there are some other tires which may help shorten your braking distance a bit as well and, almost not matter how cheap the bike is, I find it hard to rationalize going too cheap on tires if your ride is an everyday machine.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com