Buddy was driving in to Shanghai on the 318 when he got smoked passing a truck making a right hand turn. Luckily, he was alright despite some bruises and scrapes to his right leg. Apparently he was pinned down by the bike and some passers by had to help get him untangled from it. He called me right after it happened and I went out to meet him with my girlfriend. When we arrived, the police were preparing to confiscate both the bike and the truck, but somehow she managed to convince them to let my friend bargain with the driver of the truck for damages. I was completely in awe of this, as my friend had neither insurance nor plates for his bike.

The bike itself faired pretty well surprisingly, and we got it back on the road for about 1000 RMB (new forks, tweeking to the handlebars and the crash bar). "You wouldn't even know it had been in an accident."

Moral of the story? Don't pass on the right when you're at an intersection!

You can see in the picture that the rear of the bike is being lifted right off the ground by the truck on the front wheel of the bike. I'm still amazed that he walked away from the crash, even more so that the bike was still drivable.