Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Newbie in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all

Im Bob (Astroboy66) from UK I returned to China in August 08 and I live in Shanghai, this is my second time here after a arriving in 1999 and staying till 2003 i had a 5 year break before returning and lots has changed in that time.

I have a bike back in UK Aprillia RST (Whats that i here you ask...lol) that i use on the rare trips home I make and I really miss riding my bike and have often thought about riding here in China.

I have an electric scooter which is ok but i would really love to get a real bike.
    Heres the thing I can't afford to buy a BMW, Ducatti, or HD here because the price is so high after import tax and in fact Im not really a cruiser type of rider i prefer sports bikes or super motard kinda bike.

I have found this forum and think hey theres some great looking Chinese bikes here and something like a 250 would be more than enough for riding in China.

I would like to know where any dealers are in Shanghai I have been looking at something like a Lifan 250 but would consider most suggestions.

Recently i saw a Daelim Roadwin looked cool a single around 125 cc i guess i think its Korean.

I am no bike snob all two wheels are cool in my book and i cant get my head round why its so difficult to own bigger cc bikes here after all gotta improve traffic if more people use bikes right??

so any tips on buying , prices, review and dealer locations would be more than welcome.

and lastly great site guys well done karl for having something here for all of us that crave two wheel action here in China.

Astro

2. #2 Re: Newbie in Shanghai 
    Well welcome to the chain gang Bob!

There are a couple of guys on here from Shanghai, a couple of whome are bike dealers. Probably the dude you wanna hook up with to point you in the right direction and possibly get you a bike is member Shanghaifingers.

He can help you familiarize yourself with the area and sells CJ's and Jialings. Whatsmore, he has the skinny on getting a licensed in Shanghai..plates and all.

Do you have your Chinese driving/riding license?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Newbie in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi from Shanghai. Happy to say hello. Be happy to take you around to the various dealers.

4. #4 Re: Newbie in Shanghai 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks iamcanjim

B good to link up i have sent a PM with my email address maybe we can agree a day and time

regards
    Bob

5. #5 Re: Newbie in Shanghai 
    Bob,
    Always fun to go bike shopping. Please Keep us informed on your adventure.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

6. #6 Re: Newbie in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Nice to see other riders here in Shanghai. I've been in China for 20 years, and in Shanghai for 7, but have only recently even considered taking up motorcycling. There's no time like the present. I'm opting for the Jialing JH600, and if others are interested I've got pretty decent information about how the process works. Right now sorting through the details of registration, which apart from being stupidly expensive is also frustratingly tedious and mysterious.

One thing I'd love to do is replicate a tradition that's well established in my northern California community -- Bike Night. This is a regular gathering of folks whose sole qualification is that they enjoy motorcycling. I'd suggest once or twice a month, if not weekly. (Our NorthBaySportRiders.com group meets every Thursday at 6, rain or shine, outside a local *$.)

Any takers?

cheers
    jkp

7. #7 Re: Newbie in Shanghai 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Nice to see other riders here in Shanghai. I've been in China for 20 years, and in Shanghai for 7, but have only recently even considered taking up motorcycling. There's no time like the present. I'm opting for the Jialing JH600, and if others are interested I've got pretty decent information about how the process works. Right now sorting through the details of registration, which apart from being stupidly expensive is also frustratingly tedious and mysterious.

One thing I'd love to do is replicate a tradition that's well established in my northern California community -- Bike Night. This is a regular gathering of folks whose sole qualification is that they enjoy motorcycling. I'd suggest once or twice a month, if not weekly. (Our NorthBaySportRiders.com group meets every Thursday at 6, rain or shine, outside a local *$.)

Any takers?

cheers
    jkp

I am not from Shangai but there should be some biker groups around like the BMW guys, which are posting here or CJ groups. Not sure what they are doing or how frequent they meet. Having a regular place to go and meet, having some beers with friends sounds like fun. Jkp, 7 years in Shanghai and you do not know a joint like that?

AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

8. #8 Re: Newbie in Shanghai 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    AW, thanks for the moral support! Yes, it should be easy to find a common gathering place. In Sonoma County we gather al fresco, even in winter.

It's amazing to see 30, 40, 50 beautiful bikes all lined up outside a Starbucks.....
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)