Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all. Been lurking for a while and finally have something productive to add to the forum.

I just picked up a SMC YB150 to build to use in Mini-Motard racing series locally (GAMRA). SMC supposedly is based in the US using Chinese made engines and other parts. The dealer I bought it from, who carries KTM, BETA, Suzuki, Kawasaki as well, claims he has found quite a few parts that interchange with the KTM like wheels, cables etc. The frame certainly looks similar to the KTM 80 SX.

I presume this bike is built under other names as well. If anyone recognizes this bike any info you have would be helpful.

The motor appears to be a direct copy of the CRF150F. The power feels pretty similar. Carbs are a Chinese brand I'm not familiar with Linhai(sp?)???

For starters I'm going to tear down the bike to the frame with motor in, and take a good bit of measurements and re-assemble with a liberal amount of loctite. After that I'll take it out to the trails for a good day of thrashing to find any other weak points, hopefully not blowing it up in the process

Once I sort out any blatant issues, I'll be mounting some street tires to the existing wheels and seeing if I can get the suspension tight enough for a track day. The local organization runs on go kart tracks.

If all goes well with the first steps I'll do a complete build to make it more competitive, including

Upgraded mikuni/kehin carb
    12" motard wheels/tires
    Upgraded front brake system (calipers, master cyclinder, rotor)
    Upgraded suspension front and rear

Any input is welcomed.

2. #2 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    ACDM, you got yourself quite a project there! I'm sure we'd all like to see how it progresses and your thoughts on it's racing performance. Since there are so many pit/mini bikes made by Chinese manufacturers it will take some time to sort through photos or find someone who just inherently knows. Both are possible.

I'm interested to hear and see more about GAMRA...you guys got videos of the races? It would be nice is if manufacturers started direct distribution and could start sponsoring leagues like that. It really looks like an outrageously fun and relatively inexpensive to race.

CC

P.S. - Just checked out the MCN review of the bike. Overall high marks!
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2009-current/
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Pusher? As in push rod? Perhaps. I know very little about the motor and haven't opened anything. Apparently the dealer hasn't ever opened one either in the 4 yrs they've been selling them so he didn't know either.

Another positive note. I found a source in Canada for FastAce suspension parts, including a variety of shock springs. That will make the suspension build much much easier.

4. #4 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    It looks like a pushrod engine head but I can't be totally sure. Are you planning to replace to rebuild the suspension?

CC

5. #5 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have high hopes for the project, and believe it can be competitive when completed. Looking around they seem to bear the closest resemblance to the Galaxy line, but again this is just at a glance. The engine cases are obviously different but the frame designs look somewhat similar. Who knows though???

I think the toughest aspect of the setup will be the suspension. I know a suspension guy who works primarily on mainstream motorcycle suspension, but I'm gonna see if i can send him the forks and shock to take a look at. We'll see.

6. #6 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    ACDN,

Found a photo of an SMC bike in Supersignet's Galaxy Factory visit thread...so I guess Galaxy is the likely manufacturer.

_MSG5747.jpg

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-Factory-Visit

CC

7. #7 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The suspension is a pleasant surprise with this bike. It's a copy of sorts of the Works Performance equivalent. Fully adjustable. I haven't opened them up yet to see what's exactly going on inside, and I haven't been able to make contact with the manufacturer, but I have located a US based importer. Waiting to hear back from them. I did find a site that sells heavier shock springs though.

I will likely rebuild the suspension with heavier fork/shock springs and work on it from there. I think it will be quite capable of handling my needs once the springs are upgraded and it's setup properly.

No pics of progress today, but the bike is on the way back to the dealer to get the new fork seals in and the remaining issues corrected. Hopefully I'll have the bike back by Saturday or Monday at the latest.

8. #8 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Adding an oil cooler wouldn't be a huge undertaking really. I've added oil coolers on older bikes using oil filter adapters that gave an outlet and inlet. As long as you add additional oil to fill the increased volume of the cooler itself, pressure wouldn't be an issue. There would be a slight loss of pressure but typically less than 1-2 psi tops.

In a small displacement engine I can't imagine you would really need one unless you were doing some kind of endurance racing. It wouldn't hurt but probably wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks, Kens I wasn't familiar with those abriviations.

Barnone, you're gonna have the BMW loyalist in a tirade when you post pics of that thing! :)

9. #9 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Not many asthetic changes to speak of, other than a good bit of dirt on her :)

10. #10 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ah brilliant! Good find Carl.

Anyone know a source for Galaxy parts? US preferably but I'll take what I can get.

The Galaxy has the 2 piston brakes and nicer looking rotors, whereas mine has single pot units. Upgrades would be helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast