Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi all. Been lurking for a while and finally have something productive to add to the forum.

I just picked up a SMC YB150 to build to use in Mini-Motard racing series locally (GAMRA). SMC supposedly is based in the US using Chinese made engines and other parts. The dealer I bought it from, who carries KTM, BETA, Suzuki, Kawasaki as well, claims he has found quite a few parts that interchange with the KTM like wheels, cables etc. The frame certainly looks similar to the KTM 80 SX.

I presume this bike is built under other names as well. If anyone recognizes this bike any info you have would be helpful.

The motor appears to be a direct copy of the CRF150F. The power feels pretty similar. Carbs are a Chinese brand I'm not familiar with Linhai(sp?)???

For starters I'm going to tear down the bike to the frame with motor in, and take a good bit of measurements and re-assemble with a liberal amount of loctite. After that I'll take it out to the trails for a good day of thrashing to find any other weak points, hopefully not blowing it up in the process

Once I sort out any blatant issues, I'll be mounting some street tires to the existing wheels and seeing if I can get the suspension tight enough for a track day. The local organization runs on go kart tracks.

If all goes well with the first steps I'll do a complete build to make it more competitive, including

Upgraded mikuni/kehin carb
    12" motard wheels/tires
    Upgraded front brake system (calipers, master cyclinder, rotor)
    Upgraded suspension front and rear

Any input is welcomed.

2. #2 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    ACDM, you got yourself quite a project there! I'm sure we'd all like to see how it progresses and your thoughts on it's racing performance. Since there are so many pit/mini bikes made by Chinese manufacturers it will take some time to sort through photos or find someone who just inherently knows. Both are possible.

I'm interested to hear and see more about GAMRA...you guys got videos of the races? It would be nice is if manufacturers started direct distribution and could start sponsoring leagues like that. It really looks like an outrageously fun and relatively inexpensive to race.

CC

P.S. - Just checked out the MCN review of the bike. Overall high marks!
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2009-current/
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I have high hopes for the project, and believe it can be competitive when completed. Looking around they seem to bear the closest resemblance to the Galaxy line, but again this is just at a glance. The engine cases are obviously different but the frame designs look somewhat similar. Who knows though???

I think the toughest aspect of the setup will be the suspension. I know a suspension guy who works primarily on mainstream motorcycle suspension, but I'm gonna see if i can send him the forks and shock to take a look at. We'll see.

4. #4 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    ACDN,

Found a photo of an SMC bike in Supersignet's Galaxy Factory visit thread...so I guess Galaxy is the likely manufacturer.

_MSG5747.jpg

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...-Factory-Visit

CC

5. #5 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ah brilliant! Good find Carl.

Anyone know a source for Galaxy parts? US preferably but I'll take what I can get.

The Galaxy has the 2 piston brakes and nicer looking rotors, whereas mine has single pot units. Upgrades would be helpful.

6. #6 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    HAHAHA... always with the questions!

Not sure I've heard anything about Galaxy suppliers in North America. Your best bet is to go through SMC but if you're really enterprising, you may want to contact the manufacturer directly. Since I know Galaxy competes with their bikes, tell them you're racing their bikes in the US and would be willing to offer some simple promotion (maybe wear a jacket, hat stickers or something) in exchange for discount (or free) parts help. There's really no harm in trying.

AndyHird on MCM is a fellow from the UK who's been in touch with the factory and ordered a bike to be delivered. Not sure how that is going but he should certainly have some contact info.

CC

7. #7 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Haha, yes question questions. Well hey if anyone needs any info on Korean Bikes, namely Hyosung or Daelim, I'm your guy to go to.

I'll send AndyHird a pm. Thanks for the lead :)

8. #8 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Also, looks like a pretty standard Honda based engine on your bike. If your carb doesn't have an accel pump, see if you can find a generic one which will fit. I remember putting one on a bike of mine that had a similar engine and it really opened up power all over the place, especially on the top end. Again, not sure what your carb looks like but many of them are way too restrictive out of the box.

If I happen across a carb model/number that may work I'll let you know.

CC

9. #9 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The carb on it appears to be a knockoff of the Kehin(or is it Mikuni?) roundslide carb used on the CRF150F. When I tear down the bike I'm going to measure it up and see if it matches or not. I'd guess it does, it appears identical. Definitely want to change that out, as I just don't trust a no name carb. I've always had good luck with mikuni's and kehin's.

10. #10 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ok so the project begins.

Today I removed all the pesky plastics to get down to the business of the bike, and see what's going to need to be fixed prior to putting this bike on the track.

After dumping the plastic this is what it looks like.

First spot of trouble I found after the first run around on the bike was a leaky float bowl gasket. Not a major issue but needs to be repaired on a new bike. No pics of the leak but here's the carb, a Jing Ke. Never heard of that one before??? Once I verify the bore size is the same as the CRF150F a Kehin will be replacing this one.

Next up under the seat I found the CDI mount to be falling apart. Rubber apparently wasn't the highest quality around, so it needs to be replaced.

From the other side of the bike we can see the air filter. Not at all what i expected, I expected an airbox of sorts. Filter looks a bit old and nasty so that will get replaced as well.

Tucked away behind the nice fork guards, I found that my fork seals are leaking. Guess this will teach me to check that out before buying. The left fork is really seeping and the right one is slowly starting to seep as evidence by the gunk collected by the fork oil. Seals will need to be replaced. Before anyone suggests that this is just dirt collected while running off road, this bike has never been ridden off road. Only around the neighborhood for a few minutes to run the oil up to temp.

Further inspection revealed that I may have a bit of a leak at a bolt on top of the cam cover. I think this might be a cam chain tensioner but am not sure as I haven't been able to find a parts diagram yet.

The only other thing of interest to me was a rather dirty spark plug, for a bike that is new, or supposed to be new with only a few minutes of running the engine. Perhaps this is related to the carb leaking.

So all in all nothing but the fork seals really surprises me. I expected to have some things here and there that needed attention. That's really part of the experience with buying bikes. For those of you who think this is something that only happens with Chinese bikes, think again. All of the above, except the fork seals, I've found on Japanese bikes in the past.

Luckily for me I bought the bike from a local (well semi local 1.5hrs away) dealer. I gave him a call today and he was very apologetic for my difficulties and told me to bring it in and he'll take care of everything.

More to come...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast