Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. #31 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ok time for an update. I figured a few things out on the bike after the first time in the dirt.

I had a retard moment with the round slide carb and was turning the choke to full when I thought I was turning it off. THis caused the issue with catching an idle with the choke "off".

Once i figured that out, the bike was running just fine. I do believe it would benefit from a carb change still but that moves it to a lower priority.

I took it out for another day of dirt riding along with a buddy on a Yamaha WR250F. Had a blast and finalized the decision that I have to buy another dirt bike to leave one set up for dirt only. It's just about as much fun as you can possibly have with your clothes on.

I've been communicating with a woman from FastAce, the suspension manufacturer, and believe I've gotten close to being able to order the heavier fork springs directly from the factory. They are "out of stock" on the heavier shock spring. I did find an online retailer in Canada that has Fast Ace shock springs. I'm waiting to hear from Fast Ace if the springs they have will work on my shock.

The folks at Galaxy Motorcycles have put me in touch with a distributer in Canada to order any other parts I might need. Specifically brake and wheel parts. The only thing I lack in that department is a parts diagram from my bike, the SMC YB150 (or XTR150 as Galaxy calls it), to compare part numbers. Going to try to avoid ordering parts if they won't interchange.

ANyone know of a parts breakout of the Galaxy XTR150???

I have confirmed that the KTM 80/105 SX wheel hubs are a match for my wheel hubs. This will make getting a SM wheel setup much much easier if buying a wheel direct is too costly.

More to come...

2. #32 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thread update time, although not particularly exciting...

I've been playing email tag with Galaxy and Fast Ace with little success. I do have the line on heavier fork springs. I'll take the small victories where I can :) I have a sneaking suspicion both are using web based free translators...

So after a month of that game I've moved on to finding compatable parts from other manufacturers. After a whole bunch of measurements and some help from a few forums, I've discovered that the dealer wasn't BS'ing, quite a few parts from KTM 65/85's cross over.

Confirmed compatibles so far (confirmed by measurements only so far)

Wheel hubs
    brake rotors
    rear sprocket
    rear caliper/mount (KTM calipers are 2 pot units vs stock 1 pot)
    front caliper mount
    shock

I've found a seller parting a 85sx out on ebay and am negotiating a deal for quite a few of the parts I want including brake parts, wheels and a shock. Much easier to find a HD spring for the KTM unit than my unit.

If I make the deal with this guy I'll be left with some decisions on wheel/tire combos, and which to use for the track.

My stock wheels are 19/16, the KTM's 17/14. I'd like to be left with a set of dirt wheels to swap to for dirt fun untill i can pick up a bike to dedicate to the trails.

I had hoped when this started to get it track ready for $1000 or less. Looks like I'll end up a couple hundred over but still well under $1500 (fingers crossed) and still be able to ride dirt with it.

If the deal I mentioned above works out I believe all I will need to wrap it up is as follows:

New bars (found some MSR aluminium bark busters for $20 used)
    Catch can
    Tires once I decide on which wheels will be used
    New brake pads
    KTM 65/85 SX Front master cylinder (anyone know of one laying around???)
    Safety wire session

Also I have buddy who does paint work that wants to paint up my extra set of plastics for me.

3. #33 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Nate,

On the face of it, one completed the project sounds like a steal for 1500 bucks! How does she look now?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #34 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Not many asthetic changes to speak of, other than a good bit of dirt on her :)

5. #35 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Wow.. Job well done, very nice bike.. I like the red lining there.. Great work!

6. #36 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ended up acquiring a rear shock, front and rear brake calipers, and rear caliper mount for just under $200 shipped (all from a 2006 KTM 85sx). Still want to get my hands on a set of KTM 85 wheels, but no luck so far. Two sets have gone for more than I wanted to pay. The set the same seller I got stuff from had went for $340.

So this leaves me with a new front brake master cylinder and wheels as the remaining "large" purchases to make.

7. #37 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Any chance the old front master cyl will work?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

8. #38 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Any chance the old front master cyl will work?

CC
    I'm gonna give it a try but I'm not optimistic. Never seen a master cylinder this small in my life. Heck I have a hard time locking up the brakes with the existing system...

9. #39 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Keep posting Nate, it is interesting to follow even if we don't remark much. I pick up information and knowledge all the time from threads like this.

10. #40 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Keep posting Nate, it is interesting to follow even if we don't remark much. I pick up information and knowledge all the time from threads like this.
    Most definitely will keep the posting up. Not much exciting to see or read about digging around for parts though :) I'll be in Daytona next week for Bikeweek but the real action should start the following week :)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast