Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I got back to work on the SMC this past weekend. The WP KTM 85sx shock is a direct fit, no tweaking or odd fitment issues. I am working with a supplier to find an appropriate shock spring for my setup. This is much easier than trying to work with the factory.

The brake calipers are also a direct fit. THe stock single piston caliper used an additional plate mounted to the fork caliper mount points. After this was removed the twin piston KTM unit fits perfectly and aligns correctly with the stock rotor. I've got my eye on a wave rotor on ebay for cheap that may replace the stock unit. The SMC master cylinder won't cut it for the twin piston brake. I'm still patiently searching for a stock KTM master.

Pictures to come shortly...

2. #42 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    So is this bike like a Chinese made KTM? That's A LOT of cross compatible parts... makes you wonder where KTM get's their components from!!!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #43 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Kind of makes you wonder. At the least when this bike was designed they had a KTM to measure from...

4. #44 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Update time. This time with some pics

Got to work today on the rear shock spring swap. The subframe design makes it easy to pull the lower mount bolts and loosen the top to rotate the subframe out of the way. Makes for easy access to the rear shock.

Once the shock was out of the bike I laid the new spring next to the old shock setup for comparisons sake

The old spring is a 3.5 rate spring the new one is a 7.2. Finally the spring I need. All back together and ready to go back on the bike

Back in the bike

Back together

5. #45 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Just when things were coming together, the project takes an unexpected turn. I wasn't home last night and didn't come home until around 11am today. WHen I pulled in the driveway I noticed my SMC missing. Some weasely slime ball decided he/she needed it more than I do. I'm hoping it'll turn up on the side of a road somewhere sooner or later but not overly optimistic.

6. #46 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Sorry to hear about your loss, Nate. I've enjoyed following your posts as it seemed you were having a lot of fun with your improvements. I hope your bike turns up.

7. #47 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Oh man that's fucking balls! Really sorry to hear about it because it was looking like a good bike for the track. It's not totally useless though because I'm sure your experiences have helped and inspired others. But who knows... things might look bad but maybe something good will come of it.

Time to bust out a little

Can insurance cover it?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

8. #48 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Mate, that is not good! Hope it turns up or that you were insured enough to go bigger and better. The only way I can deal with these odd bad incidents in life and the personal sick feeling it gives, is to think that this world isn't perfect by a long way but we do better than most poor sods on the planet never had a bike or got a chance to get one and to be honest, it is just a bike ... you never get over it really but you can get it in proportion. Hope something else comes along soon and it doesn't stop you tinkering.
    I wonder how easy/cheap it would be to devise a kind of gps tracker? Might look into that myself.

9. #49 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Regular
    Oh Mate, that's terrible news........after all the hard work you've put in. The scum bags want stringing up by their dangly bits !

I've had two Motorbikes stolen, an Aprilia Tuareg Wind 600, and an Africa Twin 750, you never get over losing them or wondering what ever happened to them.

Hope it turns up.

Best Wishes

Andy

10. #50 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Shit buzz man, i'm really sorry to hear that. It's a nasty feeling to invest time, effort and emotion into a project and then have it stolen by some who invariably won't appreciate what you've done. Here's to hoping that if you find it on the side of the road, there's someone face down in the ditch beside it...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast