Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    Looks like this promises to be an interesting prep job!

The mystery screw in the picture below could also be an extra oil-line feed or a tachometer sending unit receptacle.

Looking at the pics, I'm not totally clear where the ohc would be on the head and where the chain would travel. Is it a pusher?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

2. #12 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Pusher? As in push rod? Perhaps. I know very little about the motor and haven't opened anything. Apparently the dealer hasn't ever opened one either in the 4 yrs they've been selling them so he didn't know either.

Another positive note. I found a source in Canada for FastAce suspension parts, including a variety of shock springs. That will make the suspension build much much easier.

3. #13 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    It looks like a pushrod engine head but I can't be totally sure. Are you planning to replace to rebuild the suspension?

CC

4. #14 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The suspension is a pleasant surprise with this bike. It's a copy of sorts of the Works Performance equivalent. Fully adjustable. I haven't opened them up yet to see what's exactly going on inside, and I haven't been able to make contact with the manufacturer, but I have located a US based importer. Waiting to hear back from them. I did find a site that sells heavier shock springs though.

I will likely rebuild the suspension with heavier fork/shock springs and work on it from there. I think it will be quite capable of handling my needs once the springs are upgraded and it's setup properly.

No pics of progress today, but the bike is on the way back to the dealer to get the new fork seals in and the remaining issues corrected. Hopefully I'll have the bike back by Saturday or Monday at the latest.

5. #15 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hmm getting in contact with FastAce is proving more difficult than I thought it would. I spoke with the contact on the US site, who no longer works for FastAce, friendly enough guy but wasn't aware of the models of forks, shock I have. He referred me to their Chinese site www.fastace.com. There are a couple of email addresses on that site. Both of which I attempted to email and got the emails kicked back. Calling them will cost me my first born, particularly since I don't have a land line anymore, only a cell phone. Then comes the question of if I'll get someone who speaks English.

Any members around who are local to either "#39-8, Linhai Road, Guoxinli, Qingshui Town, Taichung, Hsien,TAIWAN" or "Gaosha 2nd Industrial Park, Tongxin W. Rd, Dongsheng Town, Zhongshang City, Guangdong" who could help me get in touch with a factory rep???

6. #16 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Scratch that. I just got an email from a factory rep. :)

7. #17 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    It is a CG push rod engine from the Valve cover.That screw IS a oil port of the top off the valve train.

I had my cg apart recently to do a valve adjustment and seen that's all it is.Change the gasket and your good to go.Possible gasket solution could be a brass brake line washer or even a bit of rvt on the existing gasket, just be sure to degrease the surface.

8. #18 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    It is a CG push rod engine from the Valve cover.That screw IS a oil port of the top off the valve train.

I had my cg apart recently to do a valve adjustment and seen that's all it is.Change the gasket and your good to go.Possible gasket solution could be a brass brake line washer or even a bit of rvt on the existing gasket, just be sure to degrease the surface.
    Thanks Kens! What do you mean by CG? I agree I was thinking a new brass crush washer, like you mentioned, to seal it up tight.

9. #19 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    A new brass crush washer will solve the problem if there's no strange issue with the valve cover casting. No worries about taking the screw out and it should be a very simple fix. Hight-temp RTV would be a good and cheap solution since you shouldn't need to mess with that screw much, if at all.

Unless you add an external oil cooler that is. Hmmm...

CC

10. #20 Re: New Project Bike, SMC YB150 
    CG ( push rod ) and CB ( over head cam) are the 2 most common "honda" copy engines used.
    it's easy to tell the differance, The CG push rod has a one peice valve cover ( like yours) and the CB overhead cam looks like a XR engine but also has 2 "cap" looking plugs to access the tappet adjustment.

There is a lot more info out there fro CB engines, ,the CB seems to be a bit harder to find specs for. I think it is because the CB is copyed from engine that orginaly was only made in 125ccc config ( someone correct me if I am wrong there )

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast