Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    The likeliest immediate problem for me is going to be the gearing. I live in the bush and after a few km of dirt I am on open roads and freeways for 30 to 100 km. Safety says I need to be doing 100 km and keeping up with the flow.

Now this bike was sold to me as a 100 km.p.h bike and obviously isn't, 85 to 90 more like it but I have had other small engine bikes (250cc) that could do 100 km plus all day. I know 25% smaller makes a difference there especially as I am 15 stone plus gear but I am hoping to improve the top end a little. It has no problem pulling me and a girlfiend away so it has plenty power enough for when I am riding solo (99% of the time).

I have read that road tyres (it has nobblies of course) will make it even slower, if easier to ride. So ... any ideas on gearing the rear sprocket as far as possible. Makes, sizes etc.? And possible carbie changes. It has a jap 'walbro' as fitted.

2. #2 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    First thing to try is the chain and sproket. What's your current chain and sprocket setup? What type chain and how many teeth on the front and rear sprockets/gears?

I think there was a place in Oz selling carb upgrades for the Kinlon but it slips my mind at the moment. The info should be on MCM.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    Thanks mate. The manual doesn't give those details, helpfully it just says 'chain' and 'sprocket' lol - so now I shall have to go out from in front of the fan and into the 42 deg C sun and count all the sprocket teeth and look for numbers then ... I think not! Later when it has cooled down a bit here! I found the post that mentions the dealers for carbies but I think it was a damp squib. I shall try altering the existing jet and settings first if anyone around knows about such things.

4. #4 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    The likeliest immediate problem for me is going to be the gearing. I live in the bush and after a few km of dirt I am on open roads and freeways for 30 to 100 km. Safety says I need to be doing 100 km and keeping up with the flow.

Now this bike was sold to me as a 100 km.p.h bike and obviously isn't, 85 to 90 more like it but I have had other small engine bikes (250cc) that could do 100 km plus all day.
    Hey mate welcome to the site.

I have had a Kinlon for about 15 months now and she is still going strong. The plastics are farked and the bolts fall off but mechanically has been very solid.

I have the Supermoto and I can get it to do 100kmp on the highways but it really doesnt like doing it. Much happier at 90kmp. You need to perfect your "Kinlon Krouch" and get right down on the handlebars. But with a bad back it might be trickier. Looks pretty stupid too

Seeing as you're a big boy like me, I recommend putting a heavier weight of oil in the forks. It really helps the ride and stopping power.

Other than that mate enjoy it and try and stay out of heat.
    Kinlon 2008 200GY-SM
    Honda 2003 CB250
    Life is too short for traffic

5. #5 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmarty45 View Post
    You need to perfect your "Kinlon Krouch" and get right down on the handlebars. But with a bad back it might be trickier. Looks pretty stupid too
    G'day mate - yeah, its still 40+ today so I am chugging coldies instead of working outside on the property - I can't manage the Kinlon Krouch but I have a variant called the 'Loonie leg-over' I worked out yesterday when it was 42 and I had to head into town for a quick errand - I could just about get my left leg over the handle bar and direct a stream of 80 kph cool air up the jeans to a spot that certainly needed cooling down ... (those black plastic seats pick up the sun alright!)

6. #6 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    There nothing like "the ol' gonad forced air induction systems" on bikes.

It's some 11 below zero (C) here. I'm not sure which I'd like more right now...40 plus or sub-freezing. Certainly either one is difficult to work in.

CC
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #7 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    g'day jape, good to see another Victorian on the map mate

not sure about the rt model , but the Sm model i have came with a 15th front sprocket and a 44th rear
    don't know if the rt model is set up differently due to bigger wheel diameter or not though mate
    let us know wat the outcome is as i wouldn't mind going up to a 16th front but am unsure if it give me more or less top end

ride safe in god's country (victoria)

p.s where abouts in central Vic r u?
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm
    mods so far- custom gear rack, custom exhaust, custom bash plate, led indicators, led tail/stop light, 155main jet and needle set on 4th groove from top, airbox restrictor removed,front fairing shortened 75mm

8. #8 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    stromnes,
    Here's a chart that shows the ratios when you make a change;

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/g/4156...tio-chart.html

As you can see, one tooth change in the front equals a three tooth change in the rear. My Qlink XF200 came with a 15/48 combination that I changd to 16/44 and am very happy with it. Others have kept the 15T and just changed the rear. You might want to get a 16T and ride with it for awhile and see how you like it as you already have the 44T rear. The front is far easier to change and is cheaper.

9. #9 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    Now that is the sort of info that helps ignoramuses like me, ta mate. Or it would help if I had any brains but I don't know whether I want a higher or lower ratio to get top speed rather than um, whatever else you get if you go the other way.

I wish all you foreigners hadn't changed the gear change lever, we Brits used to go the other way round you know chaps. Now I keep changing down instead of up and locking the back wheel and skidding in the High Street. Right in front of the pub where the Harley bikers go ... two days on the trot same thing ... at last I understand why people use full face helmets - anonymity!

I did crawl along on the gravel and couldn't find any numbers on the chain or rear sprocket so I had to try to count the rear teeth a few times, I know it is somewhere between 42 and 45.lol
    Ahah!!!! Enlightenment, I looked at the OTHER side of the sprocket and it had the number 45 on it .... and the number 0803 and a wiggly number 11. The front sprocket has got bits of engine attached to it so I am leaving that alone for now. Good job I got down and crawled because I found a couple more bolts had fallen off. I have emailed Kinlon Australia and complained mildly about the bolts falling off and asked them for specs on the sprockets and for their suggestions on how to get the result I want.

10. #10 Re: gearing for kinlon rt 200 
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    stromnes,
    Here's a chart that shows the ratios when you make a change;

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/g/4156...tio-chart.html

As you can see, one tooth change in the front equals a three tooth change in the rear. My Qlink XF200 came with a 15/48 combination that I changd to 16/44 and am very happy with it. Others have kept the 15T and just changed the rear. You might want to get a 16T and ride with it for awhile and see how you like it as you already have the 44T rear. The front is far easier to change and is cheaper.
    thanks david, now a really stupid question

does lowering the final drive ratio down to 2.75 give me more top end or more acceleration
    stupid question i know but one of those things i can never remember

cheers stromnes
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm
    mods so far- custom gear rack, custom exhaust, custom bash plate, led indicators, led tail/stop light, 155main jet and needle set on 4th groove from top, airbox restrictor removed,front fairing shortened 75mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast