Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: M and S tyres ?

1. #1 M and S tyres ? 
    I got a spare set of wheels with my bike, I was going to sell them on, but now have a better idea, keep them and fit them with winter tyres, basically a road going, road legal mud and snow tyre for the wet and cold of winter. So, can anyone advise me of what would be a good choice of M + S tyre for the XF125GY-B, Pulse Adrenaline ?

I have also considered the question of interfering with the drive train by switching wheels, and think all I need do, is remove the rear sprocket and re-torque it onto the new wheel, either that or get a second chain and front sprocket, as I have a spare rear sprocket I could use just for the M+S tyres. Which way would be better, or doesn't it matter ?

2. #2 Re: M and S tyres ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    I got a spare set of wheels with my bike, I was going to sell them on, but now have a better idea, keep them and fit them with winter tyres, basically a road going, road legal mud and snow tyre for the wet and cold of winter. So, can anyone advise me of what would be a good choice of M + S tyre for the XF125GY-B, Pulse Adrenaline ?

I have also considered the question of interfering with the drive train by switching wheels, and think all I need do, is remove the rear sprocket and re-torque it onto the new wheel, either that or get a second chain and front sprocket, as I have a spare rear sprocket I could use just for the M+S tyres. Which way would be better, or doesn't it matter ?
    Not a bad idea. I have two set of wheels for my bike too, one with road tires and one with knobbies. A rear sprocket for more torque / less speed would be a good solution on snow and ice.
    Check these

P.S. I don't have sprockets on my bike
    Andy

3. #3 Re: M and S tyres ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    If you are going to keep the gearing the same it would be much easier to keep the second sprocket on the extra rear wheel. The chain won't need to be swapped (untill it's old and expired) when you swap wheels.

I'm working on a mini-motard build of a SMC, and hope to be able to source a second set of wheels as well, so I can periodically throw the dirt wheels on and go play on the trails.