Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    hi everyone out there,

great site and keep up the good work,
    an absolute honor to be a member of such valuable and resourceful site.

now here is my dilemma, got my beautiful little kbr200sm about a month ago and decided to swap out the halogens for l.e.d indicators, but have hit a little snag
    when i originally hooked up the new led's, i just plugged them in and didn't change the flasher relay and when i turned on the indicator i had hazard lights instead, all 4 at once
    changed the flasher relay to a motorcycle led unit, but could only get a 3 pin relay and the bike is only 2 pin
    the bloke at the motorcycle shop told me to run a wire from the negative battery terminal to the corresponding pin on the new relay, ran the wire and alas, all 4 at once again
    so i changed the connection order and got a thin line through the middle of the lights

is there something that i am missing here? currently have the 2 rear led's on and the original halogens at the front without any problems. am now totally confused, has anyone else out there had any similar experience's with led's?
    photo shows original flasher on bike and new led one
    Photo0159.jpg

red flasher
    31 - battery negative
    49a - indicator switch
    49 - battery positive

green flasher
    black wire - positive
    grey wire - indicators

Photo0162.jpg
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm
    mods so far- custom gear rack, custom exhaust, custom bash plate, led indicators, led tail/stop light, 155main jet and needle set on 4th groove from top, airbox restrictor removed,front fairing shortened 75mm

2. #2 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    I wonder if something like this is what you need;

http://www.electrosport.com/products...etail-2027.php

I found it by searching for a two prong LED relay. I'm thinking about switching mine over to LED also to save some wattage so I'm interested in your results.

3. #3 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    I wonder if something like this is what you need;

http://www.electrosport.com/products...etail-2027.php

I found it by searching for a two prong LED relay. I'm thinking about switching mine over to LED also to save some wattage so I'm interested in your results.

thanks for the info david, i will chase that one up and let you know how it all goes
    cheers mate and safe riding
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm
    mods so far- custom gear rack, custom exhaust, custom bash plate, led indicators, led tail/stop light, 155main jet and needle set on 4th groove from top, airbox restrictor removed,front fairing shortened 75mm

4. #4 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    well just a quick update,
    ended up getting a two pin electronic relay which should have solved the problem for
    changed the relay, hooked up front led's and low and behold.....................all bloody four went off again
    so after a trip to my next door neighbor (auto-elec lucky me) i discovered that due to how these bikes are wired that i also need to run a resistor (i think that's what he said) to put the indicators under load when there turned on.
    should be getting mine all fixed in next day or two so will get back to you all and let you know the outcome. Should also be getting my new led stop/tail light sometime this week as well so will post pics as soon as its all on and bike should look pretty smic.
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm

5. #5 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    Quote Originally Posted by stromnes View Post
    i also need to run a resistor (i think that's what he said) to put the indicators under load when there turned on
    You should have been told from the start that to use an LED as an indicator bulb you have to fit a 'ballast resistor' because the power draw is lower.

I have to say that those I know who have tried LED's as incidcator bulbs have returned to stock because the LED's don't give as much light as an equivalent sized incandescent. Yes, more light per watt drawn, perhaps more light in one narrow direction, but less overall light output per mount. If you see what I mean. With indicators, the brighter the safer!!

However, if you find different please post.
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot

6. #6 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    problem solved

at last some good news for you all, fitted resistors last night , plugged in front indicators, crossed my fingers and "hallelujah"
    everything works an absolute treat now, so i decided in a moment of madness to change position of indicators and hopefully give it something of a unique look
    ended up mounting them in the vents on either side of the front headlight

Photo0177.jpg

Photo0178.jpg

cheers and safe riding for all
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm

7. #7 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    Nice mod!

How is the light output?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

8. #8 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    thanks Carl,

don't know in amps or anything but been riding with a couple of mates who are doing the same thing to there bikes as well now, and they said there actually brighter than the original halogens
    also finally received the rear tail/stop light today and just finished fitting i really like it sets the bike off.
    Photo0181.jpgPhoto0182.jpgPhoto0183.jpg
    Last edited by stromnes; 01-25-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: photo update
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm

9. #9 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stromnes View Post
    thanks Carl,

don't know in amps or anything but been riding with a couple of mates who are doing the same thing to there bikes as well now, and they said there actually brighter than the original halogens
    also finally received the rear tail/stop light today and just finished fitting i really like it sets the bike off.
    Photo0181.jpgPhoto0182.jpgPhoto0183.jpg
    Hi
    Can you tell where did you get the tail light?
    Thanks

10. #10 Re: newbie needs help with l.e.d indicators 
    hi superfamous

just picked them up off e-bay for $39aus. came from a local guy here in Melbourne, but he imports them from over seas somewhere
    2009 kinlon kbr200sm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast