Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Riding in Japan

1. #1 Riding in Japan 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello Motorbyke lovers..
    is anybody who has been riding with his own beauty two weels in Japan? I am looking for info about documentation and permits and bla bla..the idea is to get a ferry in shanghai to Osaka and spend a couple of weeks or more across the cherry blossom roads...i just know that personally i dont need visa as foreign..but my baby..GS1200? thank to all of you and wish you a great 2010 riding year!!

2. #2 Re: Riding in Japan 
    We just had a fellow from Japan on here ... Panda5 I believe. Not sure how much he's willing to answer lots of questions but you can ask.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Riding in Japan 
    Normally you'll need a CdP for your baby (Carnet de Passage), usually issued in your home country by an automobile association. There was a report on the HUBB that somebody made it without recently.
    Not sure if there are car ferries from China to Japan. However, check the HUBB (northern Asia), there are reports about riding in Japan.
    Andy

4. #4 Re: Riding in Japan 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    We just had a fellow from Japan on here ... Panda5 I believe. Not sure how much he's willing to answer lots of questions but you can ask.

CC
    tks Carl.. i will find the way ..as always ppl like us use to..

5. #5 Re: Riding in Japan 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I've looked into this as well. It seems that the process is quite complicated. As Chinabiker said, In order to temporarily import a vehicle into Japan, a special custom's bond called a Carnet de Passage en Douane (CPD) is required for each motorcycle. In essence, this is a bond, the amount based on the market value of your motorcycle, which will be held in escrow until the motorcycle returns to its point of origin. Not sure where you can get this in China actually. But please let us know if you find out. (in the U.S, you can get it from AAA and RAC Plc in the UK)

Depends on where your driver license is from, you will also need a international driver's license issued from there with the class of motorcycle indicated.

Another way of riding in Japan is by renting a bike there, check out this http://japanbikerentals.com , but you still need all of the license information.

Globalriders is planning a tour in Japan. They will ship your bike from Seattle to Japan and back and do all of the paper work for you. But it is pricey (12000 USD for 19 days)

hope this helps.

PST
    2003 BMW F650 CS
    2006 BMW F650 GS
    1982 Kawasaki
    Beijing <- New York <- Den Haag <- Paris <- Rotterdam <- Philadelphia <-London<- Minneapolis <- Mountain View <- Tysons Corner <- New York