Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    C-Moto Noob
    I've been living in China for 4 years and been driving my electric scooter the entire time. However back in europe I have my motorcycle and I miss it much. So i decided it was time to start looking into buying a motorcycle here. I found a 150cc suzuki (those that everyone has), second hand for 1300 rmb, looks like a good deal.

However my question is when buying a motorcycle second hand, do all the papers and license come with it? I found this bike on www.moto2s.com, and it says it is selling with papers? what does this mean? Does it mean it will be already registered and everything ready to go?
    Also since I have no chinese license i am hoping that these "papers" somehow include the driving license as well Is this possible or not?

I am in suzhou, jiangsu and would appreciate any information. I am 17 years old. A few of my teachers drive motorcycles too, but I havent had time to ask them yet about the license. I am assuming they dont have one. However i dont really wanna risk that. So, is it possible that in Jiansu when buying a motorcycle second hand from a private owner, the driving license comes with it?

thanks a lot

2. #2 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    Hi, do you have a link to the specific bike? I'm a bit weiry of that website, every bike i know that was purchased from it turned out to be a lemon. I found my bike on www.motoe.cn where there is usually a nicer selection of bikes.

About the papers, you're entering a world of headaches but it's not unsurmountable. Firstly, the driving license won't come with any bike, that's up to you to get separately. It's hard to know what 'papers' come with the bike without seeing the ad, probably registration papers. The registration may be out of date, in which case you'll need to renew it.
    If you've got more questions maybe we can meet up or something. I'm guessing you're at SSIS and the biker teachers are Hamish and Andrew, and they do have licenses!

3. #3 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    BigG,

Licenses do not come with the bikes. Second had bikes should at least some with the little blue folder which serves as proof of ownership and registration. There are more documents detailing tax, registration and insurance but these may not come with the bike. The litle blue folder is critical...anyone who has a legally registered bike can show it to you. Do NOT buy a bike unless it comes with the little blue folder... at least.

You still have to get your license. If you've got a 1 year work visa/PR you can apply for your license. How long are you going to be in China?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #4 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    C-Moto Noob
    wow yes lol it is Hamish and Andrew. Kinda cool that you know them. Anyway thats just the doubt i had with the license. Since i'd have to go through all the trouble and im leaving in a year and a half (done with school! ) i think im gonna stick with my electric scooter in china. I'll have to wait till summer to be ridin again.

i was just looking though older posts and found the one that says china is supposed to ban the electric bicycle? thats rather funny, but if they do pull through with it i might as well switch to a motorcycle rather than some crappy 20kmh bike. I guess i'll have to wait and see how things develop.

5. #5 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    hey, they decided to lift that ban in the end i think, so it seems e-bikes are still fine. in fact they're a pretty good option if you're not arsed doing all the paper work to get a motorbike.
    in suzhou, for 5000 to 6000 rmb, you can buy an e-bike with a 2kW motor in the back that'll do 85kph and out accelerate most petrol scooters. you'll still have to charge it after a 100km, but if you're sick of going slow it's a pretty good alternative.

6. #6 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    One important thing is to check the date of last inspection (Its in the blue folder(book) its the non-laminated page, its usually a rectangular stamp with a date on it(sometimes there are many of them).... The vehicle needs to be inspected every two years(one year in some provinces). Since the bike 99% time will not be in your name the legal owner(the guy's name that appears on the little blue book) will have to have the inspection done either with you or for you. The point is you need to see the buyer again to arrange this, you might want to do it at the time of purchase while you still have them around (because tomorrow is a new day!). Also often locals will sell bikes to people and those buyer will do the paperwork.Chinese cops are never very thorough, so the guying selling the bike and the ID card used to register it are not the same, making it far to complicated to get the need inspections....

Also try to get the Green larger ownership book....

So you should get:

Blue book, Green Book
    Any additional small papers with stamps that are often found inside the books helps.

As for the electric scooter in Shanghai(near SuZhou but not the province)
    In Shanghai within the city limits, technically the electric scooter ban is still on paper but not inforced. The electric scooter(not the bicycle type, its based on voltageor or output or something) is lumped in with the motorcycles with outside plates policy... Thats why no one can get NEW Shanghai electric scooter or motorcycle plates. As far as motorcycles are conserned all the blue and yellow plates are recycled plates and I personally have never seen an electric scooter plate issue by shanghai on an electric scooter...(not that you see plates much anyway).

FYI : As of this year Shanghai will now require "F"class licenses for all those wishing to drive electric scooters that are capable of 30+km/h. So if you want to drive a BANNED vehicle within an area YOU CAN not drive it you must have a LEGAL license...(huh? anyone find any logic in that)

7. #7 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    C-Moto Noob
    hey bigG, thanks for starting the post; guess I should've read yours before I posted mine =p
    I'm over in Yixing; hopefully one day when we both get our bikes we could go for a ride (though my staff here keeps telling me it's much safer in a car, etc etc)

8. #8 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    http://www.motoe.cn/forumdisplay.php?fid=2 seems there are alot of Japanese bikes around. Any idea if they can be registered?

9. #9 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    http://<a href="http://www.motoe.cn/....php?fid=2</a> seems there are alot of Japanese bikes around. Any idea if they can be registered?
    99.995% of these bikers are illegally brought to China after being stolen in Japan, HK, Taiwan or whereever and can therefore not be registered officially.
    As you may know, everything is possible in China and if it is not Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin or other motorcycle friendly places, you may find fake paperwork and plates.
    Most of the time such bikes come with these already.

My tip: Stay away from these, especially when offered through the web.
    Andy

10. #10 Re: Buying a used motorcycle..? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I agree with Andy, you really should buy a bike from people you know or have ridden with. Most of the web posts for bikes are fake, stolen bikes, or re-assembled, once in a blue moon you can find one that is real and proper, but these rarely come. Check on this forum, there are people selling bikes here all of the time, usually these people are known to the community and can be verified. :)

I was selling a BMW F650CS, but someone has beaten you to it. :)
    2003 BMW F650 CS
    2006 BMW F650 GS
    1982 Kawasaki
    Beijing <- New York <- Den Haag <- Paris <- Rotterdam <- Philadelphia <-London<- Minneapolis <- Mountain View <- Tysons Corner <- New York