Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Crash Guards ?

1. #1 Crash Guards ? 
    After doing all this work on my Pulse Adrenaline, repainting plastics, frame and motor and me being a learner, I really don't want to drop my bike, which I guess most would feel is understandable besides the possibility of injuries. so I was wondering about crash guards for the thing. I feel what would be useful, is something projecting from the frame at the front on either side, to save the motor from gravel rash, and the full weight on me, if I should go sideways. Something which I believe happens, especially at low speed.

So, I have to ask, is does anyone have any suggestions, is there anything available to fit these machines, or do I have to get the pipe bender and welder out.

2. #2 Re: Crash Guards ? 
    I don't think I've ever heard of these bikes iwth any type of crash guard. Their dirt/enduro heritage generally makes them droppable to most people (assuming the plastics are available). I don't think I've seen anything for teh DR200 either in terms of crash protection.

Looks like it may be time for the old pipe bender and welder! I'd be really interested in what you come up with.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Crash Guards ? 
    I think crash bars on your bike 1.jpg would make it look a tad different shall we say.

However, if it's what you want, it'll be a matter of finding bars from another bike that will fit.

I fitted front bars off a Jinlun 125-11 for £28 new (a Jinlun 125RS fit also but not as nice looking) and rear bars off a Honda 250 for £9 off eBay to my Huoniao HN125-8. Perfect fit! Look great and a good safety feature too.

It meant trips to the showrooms (Chinese) with measurements taken from my bike and a look at the bikes with bars fitted and looking at stuff from the parts department. Don't forget to get the fixing kits, or you could knock them up for a bespoke fit to your bike.

You'll be suprised at just how similar the Chinese 125 frames are, so I don't think you'll find it hard to locate bars that will fit. It'll be which ones you like the look of.

PS. Very nice looking bike. Well rated and great value too.

PPS. I trust you wear padded Kevlar lined jeans/trousers and jacket!
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot

4. #4 Re: Crash Guards ? 
    I been doing a bit of research about crash bars, and there is controversy on the subject from a safety point of view ; http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=228

So, maybe a good idea, maybe not, but I still want to protect my bike from the majority of damage if things should go wrong, so am considering the supermoto style of fitting sliders to the axles, handlebars and somewhere prominent on the frame that will keep the majority of the bike frame,tank, plastics and motor off tarmac. The bike I have does show evidence of having been dropped, there is/was some serious scuffing to certain parts, parts I am swapping with the spares I have. The Renthal bars fitted to my bike is because of this crunch, I have the original bars, and the gravel rash has ground away a good inch of metal on the open end, I wish to avoid that in future. Also, the theory is I believe, with sliders the rider is generally jettisoned and the bike slides off to come to little harm. The rider, suitably attired in the correct safety gear depends on that, as going with the bike can be a lot worse.

On the subject of protective gear, no, I do not have any yet specific to this project, except a pair of kevlar reinforced gloves a friend gave me, and a pair of side lace heavy leather biker jeans with braces and cow hide rocker style leather jacket I have from a general clothing point of view, ( I was originally wanting the Yamaha XVS125 ) or that style, as crouching over on a sports bike is no good for my back, a trail bike was second choice because of the riding position, the supermoto came along at the right price and right time ), the subject of suitable protection for this machine I was going to leave until a later time when the bike is finished and the next project of insurance, tax, protective gear and cbt was to begin.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

5. #5 Re: Crash Guards ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    I been doing a bit of research about crash bars, and there is controversy on the subject from a safety point of view ; http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...p?TOPIC_ID=228
    An interesting read. Just three things.

1. Crash bars give you more road presence, the more you are seen the better. Of course, the right bars on the right bike look coooool! - in the eye of the beholder admittedly.

2. I've met two guys with amputed right legs after side impacts from cars. Both say if they had had crash bars fitted the out come may have been different.

3. When it comes to litigation, you can find as many 'experts' for as you can 'against'. It's just which side instructs them. They are called 'hired guns'. Despite an 'experts' obligation to a court to be otherwise and impartial, no parties to proceedings are going to pay for their own 'expert' to give evidence against their own case. Treat all 'experts' as you would a chancer on the make. Money talks. Trust me!!

However, having stated all that. Some folk say that the bars are more to mitigate damage to the bike more than to the rider - especially when it comes to joint injuries and skin loss. I rather tend to agree.
    Last edited by davidqc; 01-22-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot