Ok, I am soon to hit the road, well, first complete my compulsory basic training, and then hit the road complete with learner plates on my fully sorted project, and I would like some guidance on protective clothing. To make things clear, I am in my forties and have the usual age related problems, aches and pains from past injuries, and the fact that being no spring chicken, what ache one gets, stays for a while these days, so the prospect of falling off my bike is not that tasteful. I try to be realistic with whatever I do, I go on the premise that things are going to go wrong, so I gear up for that eventuality, a leaner in amongst rush hour traffic in the morning, yeah, it is highly likely some half asleep or hung over dim wit on four wheels is going to ruin my day, so I want to be prepared for the low speed fall offs.

The bike will be used largely for commuting, but my question is, what protective clothing do I need aside from the skid lid ? I have a heavy leather jacket, and leather jeans, but neither contain any padding or armour, so am considering their practicality for motorcycling, and the fact that it rains a lot around here, leather ain't that waterproof. I am intrigued with the supermoto/ motorcross body armour, but is this a bit much for commuting, what would people suggest, I need protection, but what ?