Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Nurses and those involved in ER/casualty departments of hospitals are invaluable for advice when it comes to choosing road protection, for they see it all. One nurse I know says quite clearly, don't ride a motorcycle, as even with the best gear, we are still kind of squishy when it comes to hard objects and velocity. But hey, what is life without risk, we all risk on a daily basis, what lessens our chance of coming unstuck, is knowledge and a healthy dose of self preservation.

I will always be a slow rider, my thought processing speed is not good, below average I am told, but with a lifelong interest in slow vehicles, I can manage at my pace of life, what I am more scared of on the road, is the half asleep wankers in their heated, sound and road proofed cages only a few steps behind press a button and arrive at the destination with no thought involved car pilots.

Maybe a good idea, a website from a medics point of view and a manufacturers point of view, so we can all choose what protection we need for what we do on two wheels based upon the people who have to pick up the pieces.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

2. #22 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Yeah but we often cannot get details or truth from most pratts like 'Draggin Jeans' who are well known on forums for being unco-operative. We have to go by forum posts and reviews and they are very subjective but overall from my research UK Hoods beat Draggin for fit quality and protection (and more cover), then Draggin and some USA ones. But 'Darggin' are the only ones I can find make the leggings - so I have to use them even though I don't like 'Draggin as a company - for example I just today sent them an email asking whether the kevlar weave is a 600 or 1000 denier. The tests show a marked difference in abrasion resistance.
    The answer was simple and short: "We don't give out that information".
    My response was simple and short too:
    How stupid is that? You make the bloody things and must have that detail, I just want to find out for myself and friends on various motorcycle forums, the strength of the kevlar weave for goodness sakes. Obviously 1000 is better than 600 but 600 would be fine under test results I have seen. Why don't you use some common-sense, stretch a point and tell me, hardly a trade secret or rocket science?
    I think any rival manufacturer who wanted to copy would know enough to tell from looking at them and thus as usual 'Darggin won't let us know what we are buying to protect ourself. They are arrogant fools and seem to be gradually going high-end cost and toward fashion. The womens' jeans they do are very low waisted and don't even cover their arse, which although sweet to look at is hardly protection.Sod 'em. Hopefully someone else will move in and thrash them.

3. #23 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    I know a few people who have the Draggin Jeans and other names like a similar offering called Red Route and I believe there are other names out there now, a few Biker suppliers selling much the same stuff, but if I had the cash, I would go this way ;

Armour Pants

But seeing as I am not, I will stick with leathers, as I wore them prior to getting a bike anyway, I am used to their properties in all weathers, in fact sweat in them in the summer, it does them good, they become more pliable.

But seeing as I slipped on the rocks at the beach yesterday whilst wearing leathers, I landed on my tail bone, and boy did that hurt, and even more so today, I remember thinking under armour is needed for more activities rhan just motorcycling.

4. #24 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    My jacket is like a waistcoat and bright dayglo red, as common as yellow in Aus and cost me just about 5 quid from a bicycle shop! It also has reflective stripes for night which glow very well. If you can't find anyin UK let me know and I will send you one!

You like black on your gear ( I do too ), so for an extra coupla quid on Ebay you can get black 3M tape which is sticky backed and stiff but flexible enough to go on curved objects like helmet and bits of the bike like suspension. This tape looks black in daytime but shines white at night. PM me your address and I will send a sample piece I had left over.

This is what I am saving up for: kevlar leggings
    Draggin GREY KEVLAR LEGGINGS
    Thanks for the very kind offers, but regards the black 3M reflective tape, I have been there on that already ;

Attachment 1490Attachment 1491

I have it on the wheel rims as my fill in flash picked up in the first picture, what was left over, my matt black helmet got it too and there are plans for more of the stuff on the fork protectors and chain guard. The dayglo gear, that has 3M stripes sewn on

5. #25 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Thanks for starting this thread and to everyone for all the great advice on clothing.

As I "patiently" wait for my JH600 to be built in Chongqing, I've started looking for clothing and accessories here in Shanghai. As we all know, stores and selections are few and far between wherever we live. Since I'll be in Beijing this week on a business trip, I want to use the opportunity to visit the Beijing shops as well. Does anyone have a short-list of stores names/addresses for me? For reference, I'm in the market for jacket/pants (prefer textile), gloves, helmet, boots. Some of the brands in Shanghai that I saw and liked include Spidi (for clothing) and Shoei (for helmet). Thank you in advance!

6. #26 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKai View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread and to everyone for all the great advice on clothing.

As I "patiently" wait for my JH600 to be built in Chongqing, I've started looking for clothing and accessories here in Shanghai. As we all know, stores and selections are few and far between wherever we live. Since I'll be in Beijing this week on a business trip, I want to use the opportunity to visit the Beijing shops as well. Does anyone have a short-list of stores names/addresses for me? For reference, I'm in the market for jacket/pants (prefer textile), gloves, helmet, boots. Some of the brands in Shanghai that I saw and liked include Spidi (for clothing) and Shoei (for helmet). Thank you in advance!
    Have a visit to Motorway.
    Want to meet up for a drink?
    Andy

7. #27 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Buying online from TaoBao could be an option, though usually one has to have a good grasp of Mandarin as few sellers use English. Also one should be cautious about quality and be aware that there are many copied/fake products sold on TaoBao, though with some careful investigation can find some decent products at fairly competitive pricing. Again, having Mandarin language ability is key to not being disappointed. Here's a couple of teaser links, but there are others... and in no way am I say that these links are selling 100% authentic products but by the same token am I suggesting they are copied or fake products either. Just be mindful it is BUYER beAware. I have bought loads of items both motorcycle related and not, but I always buy after careful investigation and trying to confirm any of the seller's claims etc
    http://shop33006457.taobao.com/
    http://shop33206531.taobao.com/
    http://shop34946943.taobao.com/

8. #28 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Buying online from TaoBao could be an option, though usually one has to have a good grasp of Mandarin as few sellers use English. Also one should be cautious about quality and be aware that there are many copied/fake products sold on TaoBao, though with some careful investigation can find some decent products at fairly competitive pricing. Again, having Mandarin language ability is key to not being disappointed. Here's a couple of teaser links, but there are others... and in no way am I say that these links are selling 100% authentic products but by the same token am I suggesting they are copied or fake products either. Just be mindful it is BUYER beAware. I have bought loads of items both motorcycle related and not, but I always buy after careful investigation and trying to confirm any of the seller's claims etc
    http://shop33006457.taobao.com/
    http://shop33206531.taobao.com/
    http://shop34946943.taobao.com/
    I'll second TaoBao.I use my friends account who is a gold platinum or whatever TaoBao account(he had bought 1000s of items).He got it cheaper and would be negotiating with 5 shops at once on the price and shipping costs.

9. #29 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    I can vouch for at least one of these online shops -- Qiyi Motorcycle Accessories -- as I know the owners and have purchased items in their retail shop in Wenshui Lu here in Shanghai. Simon Wang (aka 王俺云) and his wife are avid motorcyclists and put their heart into this business. They don't speak a ton of English, though I've been encouraging Simon to put in the effort.

513 Wenshui Lu, a couple of km east of the North-South Elevated up in northern Hongkou district (虹口区汶水路513号), a bit east of Cello's BMW shop.
    Simon's mobile: +86 130 6268 8803

He's always offering to special order stuff, including tires, though I've not ordered anything yet.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #30 Re: Motorcycle clothing ? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    ...513 Wenshui Lu, a couple of km east of the North-South Elevated up in northern Hongkou district (虹口区汶水路513号), a bit east of Cello's BMW shop.
    Simon's mobile: +86 130 6268 8803
    Tons of great recommendations in this Thread and others as well. Thanks to all of you!

@CrazyCarl is it possible to put a Listings section somewhere, e.g.:
    Bike Clothing - Beijing
    Bike Clothing - Shanghai
    Bike Clothing - Taobao
    Bike Clothing - others
    Bike Dealers...
    Bike Parts...

For me in Kunming, I might have nice riding possibilities, but to get certain things is a pain in the ass sometimes, regular travel to Beijing and Shanghai eases that, but need to know where to go...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast