Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Spark Plugs ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Spark Plugs ? 
    Today, I ventured to take the spark plug out of my XF125GY, and really to find out what size plug spanner I need to order for the tool box. Anyway, pulling the plug, the running condition is fine, I can see no problems with it, if it is a tadge sooty, but that might be the few miles it has done since, well, that so service it had in November. I was expecting to find the spark plug as being an NGK DR8EA, as I believe that is the one recommended for these engines, but it was not one of those, it was a NGK CR8E, so, I have to ask, what plug should be fitted to these engines ?

Also I plan to go for the Iridium plug, because the finer electrode wire requires less voltage to work, there making the best possible use of the Motorcycle ignition system, which I believe tends to be low powered, the finer electrodes are recommended for low displacement engines. I understand the theory behind the Iridium plug, so I will fit one of those at some point, but first, I wish to know exactly what normal type spark plug should be fitted, and is there any problem with the CR8E I have fitted ?
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

2. #2 Re: Spark Plugs ? 
    Hi Sprocket. If you email NGK (michael.peirce@ngk.co.uk) with the number and make shown on the stock plug they will tell you what the correct plug is and the gap (normal and iridium).
    '09 Huoniao (Firebird) HN125-8 motorcycle [eBay bike-in-a-box]
    Aprilia SR50 LC Racing scoot

3. #3 Re: Spark Plugs ? 
    Sprocket,

CR8E has a 10mm thread 19mm reach
    DR8EA has a 12mm thread 19mm reach

I thought your bike would have a DR8EA but 20 minutes of googling has me even more confused. Take a good look at the spark plug hole and see if someone helicoiled the CR8E in there.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #4 Re: Spark Plugs ? 
    NGK CR8E is the original parts for these chinese Suzuki 125 engine

5. #5 Re: Spark Plugs ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Sprocket,

CR8E has a 10mm thread 19mm reach
    DR8EA has a 12mm thread 19mm reach

I thought your bike would have a DR8EA but 20 minutes of googling has me even more confused. Take a good look at the spark plug hole and see if someone helicoiled the CR8E in there.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    At last I got out there to have a look between the rain showers, which I did, and guess what, no helicoil or any other type of thread insert, so it looks like the CR8E is the correct thread size for my motor. The motor type is K157FMI, this is what is stamped into the engine casing along with the engine number 321997O1.

I understand though the only difference between a CR and a DR designated plug from NGK, is the threadable portion diameter, they both have resistors and the heat range is the same as is the plug reach. The DR plug has an extra designation that the CR does not, the last letter, something to do with a special electrode, but I won't fret about that.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

6. #6 Re: Spark Plugs ? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Being a Suzuki clone engine i have noticed both DR8EA and CR8E spark plugs being used as below....

DR/GS/GN/GZ 125 DR8EA

RV/GZ 2004> CR8E

The 2004 onwards RV125 and GZ125 cylinder heads have smaller combustion chamber's and smaller valves hence i guess the smaller diameter spark plugs

Perhaps the later K157FMI engines are also using smaller style cylinder heads for restriction or emission standards?

Karl

7. #7 Re: Spark Plugs ? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi
    As far as I know the NGK DR8EA is for the 200cc engine, and the CR8E is for 125 cc engine.
    I also have a XF125GY and I'll fit a NGK CR8EIX Iridium plug on it.

You can also see on this NGK site http://www.ngk.es/index.php?id=1077&...=es&t=motorrad

You can choose Kreidler Supermoto 125, because is similar to our bikes (pulse adrenaline, I-moto, ...)

cheers