Now this question is due to my unfamiliarity with motorcycle engines, perhaps a silly question, but I need to know, as what I found today is burrowing into my worry zone, my mind is thinking of crank shaft oil seals and how to fit them without taking the engine apart. But it might not come to that, as I am aware the worry has set in and is making me think of the worst case scenario. Just to note, I have replaced crankshaft oil seals on a two stroke before without splitting the halves.

Ok, today whilst I was touching up any frame part I had missed with my black paint, I noticed the blistering paint on the front sprocket side of the engine, the paint where I assume road spray has contacted the front of the engine, the black paint is crumbling off, obviously no etch primer has been used there, so I undid the 8mm hex head chromed screws holding the side cover on, so I could wire brush and paint, on undoing these screws, I noticed an oil drip coming out of the loosened cover, quite a flow at that, so I quickly scrubbed, slopped on paint and did the screws back up again, the drip stopped.

So, perhaps you can see my worry, as far as I know, there shouldn't be any oil in there, unless a failed oil seal, or could it be excess lurication from the timing chain. Is it normal to find oil under that cover, or am I worrying about nothing ?