Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi, I'm a noob...

I got my China motorcycle license when I got to shanghai 5 years ago. But have just been riding my bicycle around, including trips to Suzhou, Zhou Zhuang. 6 months ago I got an electric scooter, a vespa clone (大龟). And that has been fun. In a disney theme-park ride sort of way. Been putting off getting a motorbike because I've heard about the hassles of registration, restrictions, license for the inner ring. Plus, the only bikes I usually see around shanghai are the motorbike taxis. Not interesting. But things changed...

Last weekend i saw a beautiful pearl white Yamaha Virago parked outside of 田子房 on tai kang lu. Called the yamaha dealer on zhong shan lu and they don't sell virago or v-star. They do sell the YBR-250 (天剑王) for 25K RMB. Some imported stuff too but won't have anything until May. (aside: They said that there hasn't been a cc restriction in china for the last 2 years. And he said the fact that BMW, Ducati and HD are all in shanghai is evidence of that.) Plates for inner ring will cost 39K. wowzarus! but if that's the price to pay, so be it.

I'm looking for a domestic-made cruiser type bike, 250cc that looks something like the virago. What are some models that you recommend? Regal Raptor Daytona - is this available in shanghai?

Morris
    Last edited by mintwax; 01-29-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: grammar

2. #2 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    Ah gots your Huckelberry...

Lifan 250 is about as close to a virago as yo're going to get...like carbon copy. Same engine and frame is extremely similar. Handlebars, seat and plastics are no far off either. These bikes are favored by the Nordic CMoto riding gang and are actual VTwins. Should be available anywhere in China and no problem to register or repair.

Specs:
    http://www.lifan.com/en/product_list...&parentid=8422

They even make a 400 but I"m not sure if those will be available in China or not.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    with some small touches someone could make a good looking bike out of this ride ...

4. #4 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    The lifan 250 looks great. where can i buy in shanghai? how much does it cost?

5. #5 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi there.

You have a few options for a cruiser in China.

Firstly, there are quite a few Virago 250's in China. At the Shanghai moto market there are 6 or 7 for sale right now, used. If you speak Chinese you might do well. One was offered to me for 6500 w/out plates.

Secondly there is the Regal Raptor route. They make a range of cruisers, from choppers to traditional cruisers. Unfortunately, they are parallel twins so they have more of a 60's Triumph bobber look and not like a 90's HD. That said, they are a little better built than the Lifan's. I have priced the bobbers here in Shanghai at about 14,000 rmb.

http://www.regal-raptor.com/eng/products_imgs.asp?id=8

Finally there are quite a few Honda 400 Steeds around. At the moto market the Yamaha guy has got a 750 Virago for sale.

6. #6 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    Quote Originally Posted by iamcanjim View Post
    Hi there.

You have a few options for a cruiser in China.

Firstly, there are quite a few Virago 250's in China. At the Shanghai moto market there are 6 or 7 for sale right now, used. If you speak Chinese you might do well. One was offered to me for 6500 w/out plates.

Secondly there is the Regal Raptor route. They make a range of cruisers, from choppers to traditional cruisers. Unfortunately, they are parallel twins so they have more of a 60's Triumph bobber look and not like a 90's HD. That said, they are a little better built than the Lifan's. I have priced the bobbers here in Shanghai at about 14,000 rmb.

http://www.regal-raptor.com/eng/products_imgs.asp?id=8

Finally there are quite a few Honda 400 Steeds around. At the moto market the Yamaha guy has got a 750 Virago for sale.
    I like the Bobber!

Do you know wether they have a dealer here in BJ?

Thomas

7. #7 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    C-Moto Senior
    I am sure they have a dealer in BJ, they seem to have them everywhere. Where, I have no idea. If you know some Chinese moto riders you could ask them.

8. #8 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Looks like the shanghai moto store is the place to go. Is it this one on 127 Jiaoji Road??
    http://motorcycle-maintenance-repair...orcycle_market

Lifeng regal raptor looks great too. that's a DD350 in the link right? definitely want something that does NOT look like a moto-taxi bike. are there any official lifeng distributors in shanghai? mixing it up with the rabble at the moto market is fine, but i also don't mind paying more for better quality, legit registration, warranty, ease of mind, especially since i'll prob be getting inner ring shanghai plates and they cost around 40K, right?

Is a cruiser like virago 250 or the regal raptor good for a first bike? In terms of ease of ride, maintenance? i got my moto license in the States but never really rode. i have 1500km of riding bicycle and electric scooter in shanghai though.

9. #9 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hey Mintwax. I don't know where there is a Lifan dealer in Shanghai (I am sure there are lots, I have not found one). I have found an excellent BMW/Suzuki/RR/Shineray dealer here in the Minhang district. I can show it to you if you send me a PM.

10. #10 Re: need advice - looking to buy a cruiser in shanghai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mintwax View Post
    Hi, I'm a noob...

I got my China motorcycle license when I got to shanghai 5 years ago. But have just been riding my bicycle around, including trips to Suzhou, Zhou Zhuang. 6 months ago I got an electric scooter, a vespa clone (大龟). And that has been fun. In a disney theme-park ride sort of way. Been putting off getting a motorbike because I've heard about the hassles of registration, restrictions, license for the inner ring. Plus, the only bikes I usually see around shanghai are the motorbike taxis. Not interesting. But things changed...

Last weekend i saw a beautiful pearl white Yamaha Virago parked outside of 田子房 on tai kang lu. Called the yamaha dealer on zhong shan lu and they don't sell virago or v-star. They do sell the YBR-250 (天剑王) for 25K RMB. Some imported stuff too but won't have anything until May. (aside: They said that there hasn't been a cc restriction in china for the last 2 years. And he said the fact that BMW, Ducati and HD are all in shanghai is evidence of that.) Plates for inner ring will cost 39K. wowzarus! but if that's the price to pay, so be it.

I'm looking for a domestic-made cruiser type bike, 250cc that looks something like the virago. What are some models that you recommend? Regal Raptor Daytona - is this available in shanghai?

Morris
    Hey Morris, I can relate to your feeling, though I couldn't wait to get a motorcycle from the moment I got here 8+ years ago. OK, some would say it was and is dangerous, but honestly/realistically it's as dangerous doing many things in life, and I lived, worked in other Asian countries... and have ridden motorcycles for 30+ years.

Anyway it took a couple of years before I ended up with a motorcycle (made do like you with a bicycle and e-scooter for awhile), now I've three bikes. I just sold a 2007 CFMoto 250cc VIP Scooter (export model) www.cfmoto.com to a German guy in Shanghai, that I owned since new and have looked after with gusto, and added lots of little accessories. We managed to get around the need for a SH plate and the bike is now in his name with a Ningbo plate (where I live), as he lives out in Minhang and works even further out so he didn't specifically want a SH plate.

I do have another 125cc scooter for sale with a Ningbo plate for rmb2500, if you might be interested? It's not your small looking scooter, it's one of the bigger ones, with the mirrors that locate on the front fairing panel under the line of the handle-bars. See pic...

Scooter JJ 125.jpg

If you really want a nice 250cc type cruiser, there are a couple of American guys designing & manufacturing 250cc customs/choppers in Shanghai. Sorry can't recall the name or website at the moment... But they are making a fine products, basically shrunk down versions of some of the choppers from yesteryear for the Chinese market. Seriously nice bikes. Got a question though, if you have a motorbike, where will you park/keep it. Apartment without a garage just doesn't work... you'll need some place where you can keep the bike safe, from the weather and prying eyes, and some place to work on it.

I'll see if I can find the links for the 250cc chopper/custom