Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    With all the discussion on the GY7 I decided that it was the "long range" enduro I was looking for.With some searching I found that the bike was been imported into Canada threw Zstar industries as the DB200b.I have another long story on that subject but to make it short I would like to thank PRmotoxports for extenting a hand to another small company and setting the sale for me.

The bike arrived on Dec 24 2009 and in good china bike form....I had it open before it was off the truck and in the shop for it first picture.

The first task when I had the bike on the stand was to remove all the DB200b and zstar stickers.It just took away from the greatness of the GY7.No insult to Zstar as I am delighted they imported them in but the big SHINERAY decal embosed on the tank is just way to AWSOME.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kens; 02-05-2010 at 12:30 AM.

2. #2 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    So first thing I would like to say is that Shineray has told me the bad triple tree issue has been fixed and that they have them made by a new source. No need to crash on that subject anymore. On initial inspection there was the routine stuff like loose bolts and nuts but the oddest thing is all the extra bolts in the spare parts box.. That I don't need.

The bike it's self is really nice. It is identical to the picture of the unit I've seen from China, it even has the Chinese license plate holder on the front left shock. I had hoped for black rims but they are polished steel on the bike.

The CB200 overhead cam engine flashed to life with no problems and is very smooth. I had expected to have issues like I had with my CG250 on my SAGA but nothing of the sort. I like the PZ30 on the the gy7 as it has a better chock than the SAGA

There are many things I like about the bike. The quality of finish is very good and the fit of parts is good.

Some of the issues I encountered with it in the set up were a stone dead "el toasted" battery, a exhaust system that leaks out the back (hot exhaust all over your leg) and improperly connected plugs.

The battery is one that caught me off as it was shipped wet?? All the other battery I've ever received was shipped dry. I figure that possible they my have pretested the bike at the factory and left the wet battery installed??

The muffler is just a case of poor fitting assembled parts. They do a good job of making it look cool but must have forgotten it is on a dirt bike. I used red silicone for now but this will need to be looked at in the future.

In both cases the Canadian dealer Zstar has NO PARTS FOR THIS BIKE IN CANADA.I could not even get the proper battery from them but they did offer another one that was a different size if I wanted to pay the shipping?? MMM china syndrome

The top thinks I like about this bike are value, design, the electrical back up system, the rugged back to basics military look and the fact SHINERAY puts their name on the bike loud and proud. This makes for a professional looking bike. For the price of the bike it has the potential to be a great off-road Enduro bike with a bit of fine tuning.

Over all I am very impressed with this bike and plan to keep an online progress on how it fairs were in the Rockies.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by kens; 02-10-2010 at 04:33 PM.

3. #3 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    Thanks Kens, looking forward to the rest of your review

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #4 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    Nice bike... I know a guy with one of those.

Nice score. Think you're the first in NA to get your hands on one.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it

5. #5 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    Supersig...do you still own yours?

6. #6 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    Hi Kens.

I'm on my second one now and a few of my friends have bought them. Make sure you go over the bike like a screw tightening mad man. I would also recomend upgrading the bearings as mine barely lasted 7000km and upon inspection looked rather shotty. The bike has a lot of potentinal and it is fun in the mountains.

Expect your speedo to be broken in a few days. They just rattle themselves to pieces.

Inspect your output shaft / front sprocket mount. Some of the bikes come with lose tollerences and have been known to sheer the splines on the output shaft.

7. #7 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    Update on the avail of this bike in Canada

The dealer Zstar is reported as not going to order anymore of the model once the units sale out.If you are wanting one it would be smart to act quick as who knpw when more will be in NA.
    If someone wants one let me know and I can help to speed it up as the dealer is difficult to deal with.

I am planning to start on the tricking out of the GY7 soon... could be neat as I've found a tig welder localy that is into custom stuff...keep posted
    Last edited by kens; 02-19-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: edit info

8. #8 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    Kens,

What does this mean for parts availability?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

9. #9 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi folks I just scored a DB200B [ military ] that I found on kijiji.ca . Total cost shipped to me in New Brunswick is $2159.00. Will be shipped on Monday.Go to kijiji then go to ONTARIO then go to MUSKOKA then go to MOTORCYCLES. It is on sale right now $50.00 off! Shipping was only $80.00! Deal was very easy to do over the phone and after a quick trip to pay pal the bike is on its way. cheers!

10. #10 Re: DB200B / SHINERAY GY7 Canadian review 
    Awsome deal!!!! Still got you beat on price thought!!!! LOL we can get them in BC for 1700$$-2000 retail.

Zstar is said to not be importing anymore db200's in and they never had any parts in stock from what I can tell.

I get all my parts threw my side biz for all my bikes so I don't have any issues but to get anything from ZSTAR is impossible even if they stock the bikes.It's been 2 months and no new battery or muffler.I don't expect to ever see the parts come.
    There are parts avail from parts suppliers as long as Shineray keeps on making the bike. In Canada it's a nasty chore to import bikes but parts are easy to import.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast