Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 345671525 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: My new Jialing JH600 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Hi Jape,

I think you mean this black plastic part, right?

It is actually a combined part functioning as chain guard and spray-protection. BMWs have it as well (except for the chain guard):

Before traffic rules of the EU were applied in Germany, we had an old regulation, saying, that the edge of the spray protection of rear wheels must not be higher than max. 150mm above the wheel axle. The new regulations in the EU mentions only "sufficient spray protection". I guess there are other non EU countries with regulations similar to the old one in Germany. Jialing wants to export those bikes so I guess that's the reason for this rather ugly piece of plastic.

As to my JH600 - it's surely on the list to be removed...

...once I got this. Then I will make a separate post about it.

Greetings,
    AW.

2. #42 Re: My new Jialing JH600 
    Thanks mate, my guess was right - an ugly bit of crap designed to suit bureaucrats and make us crash in the bush miles away from any help! Good luck with it, the replacement would be a priority for me and it looks neat too! That BMW looks ugly as it is, however I must admit a neighbour has a rare, small, sideways engined BMW that he rescued from a Pacific Island somehow ( a ship's captain used to race around his ship's deck on it in the 1950's) and it just goes and goes and goes, the clock wound round at least twice they reckon. He has done a few across Australia trips on it as well, so very reliable. I hope the JH600 ends up being as good, it is looking more and more like an attractive bike as you work on it - thanks for being a pioneer!

3. #43 Re: My new Jialing JH600 
    Sideways engined - that's how you Ozzies call a boxer engine? Aahh my english... I got some older sideways engined BMWs in Germany. They will run forever, you are right. Not sure if my JH600 is gonna be a match but its the only bigger bike available for me to ride in China. Any the modification project is fun. No worries, I'll flick that plastic stuff as soon as my wife release some more Moolah for me to play with.

Hoo-roo, AW.
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 03-02-2010 at 02:49 AM.

4. #44 Re: My new Jialing JH600 
    C-Moto Regular
    wow, must be my lucky day today since i stumbled across this forum and especially this (and the Qingqi 200) thread!
    i was useing zhongshen 200gy on my tours in tibet, sichuan and yunnan but got ride of them last year and looking for new bikes this year. JH 600 for two up and the Qingqi´s seem a good choice ( i hope )
    and with all the modification info´s here the jh600 can make real good rides i guess. hope i can meet up with my "neighbors" pfaelzer and frank (and maybe more of you guys here) when in hongkong next time! hi from austria - heinrich

5. #45 Re: My new Jialing JH600 
    Hi Heinrich,
    the JH600 offers good space for two up but don't expect KTM power... PM me when you are in Hong Kong.
    AW.
    PS: Any ride reports on your China trips?

6. #46 Re: My new JH600 
    C-Moto Regular
    hi pfaelzer, will PM you when in hkg. no trip reports of my china/tibet. there was supposed to be an article in motorrad-magazin but than problems in T and they did not want it. try to get you a copy of the article they printed instead. moto-journo going chengdu-shanghai if interested. AND will post pics of my tours if ok.

7. #47 Re: My new JH600 
    T problems you say? Article isn't dead yet! Mind if I take a look at it?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

8. #48 HAND GUARDS 
    Here the latest add-on. I got a nice set of guards from Acerbis.

As usual, nothing fits well from the beginning. The guard is fixed with pegs, which are going right into the tube ends of the handle-bar. However, the JH 600 has got a thread welded into the tube ends, to hold the handle-bar weights. This has to be removed first.

Some drilling work is doing the job.

First fit test shows, that the levers are touching the guards inside slightly, when fixing the guards to the bar the weights removed.

But if the peg is pulled out a bit, then it seems to be fine. So we need to make a 10mm wide aluminum spacer.

Here the spacer (aluminum ring) and peg

Now the assembly looks good with enough space for the levers. However, I am thinking of increasing the diameter of the spacer to match the diameter of the handle grip.

The new look:

Update
    I have added some details on request of readers.

As seen above, I decided to drill out the threat inside of the bar tube (M8!!!) to use the peg, which came together with the hand-guard set. The reason is, that these pegs do have a lock, so that the hand-guards will not move, during impact. Here the lock on the picture:

The side on the guard looks like this:

I also got a new "spacer" between the guard and the handle bar. Using this spacer makes the hand_guard fit much better on the bar. I bought three different set of hand-guards to find one which fits well. ChinaV bought even more to get a satisfying solution for his bike. Not such a big deal. The Guangzhou motorcycle part makret provides plenty at good prices.

The new spacer has the same diameter than the grip - looks and feels better.

AW.

...back to overview.
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 05-10-2010 at 08:18 AM.

9. #49 Re: HAND GUARDS 
    Your bike is looking better and better, hats off to you sir!

10. #50 My new JH600 
    Hello friends,

Today I will ship my bike off to some friends for fitting a luggage rack system on it.

It is packed and almost ready to go.

I will be traveling for business during the next two weeks (USA - weekend we will be riding Harleys to Death Valley...). So I hope when I come back I can show you pictures of the new look with removable boxes and all.

If time allows I will also start a new post on body work. The bike is a bit wide when riding in standing position so we will try to make some new plastics in fibre-glass, gonna be fun.

So long, ride safe,
    AW.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 345671525 ... LastLast