Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456781626 ... LastLast
  1. #51 Re: My new JH600 
    Phaelzer,

I'm enjoying watching your bike evolve. Enjoy your trip to the US. Death Valley is a pretty cool place to visit. Lots of dirt roads to explore there, and a few surprises like Scotty's castle.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

2. #52 Re: My new JH600 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Hi Dan,

not too many dirt roads on this ride. We will start from San Diego with rented Harleys. This is gonna be more like a first exploration trip. I usually ride my 1150GSA up in Oregon and Washington but this time business brings me more to the South. Let's see if we get to Scotty's Castle but we surely want to see the Badwaters Basin Salt Flats - lowest elevation... Quite excited about this.

Greetings,
    AW.

3. #53 Re: My new JH600 
    AW,

If you haven't visited or ridden the South Western region of the US, you're in for a real treat! Some beautiful country!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #54 Luggage Carrier System 
    Hello,

I just arrived back from USA. Had some work to do there but also got the chance of riding 4 days from San Diego up to Death Valley and back with my wife and two friends on rental HDs. Ride, landscape and people - everything a great experience. Weather was great too, even though at times a bit cold for some of us.

I got some news from my bike and would like to share progress. As mentioned before, I sent the bike to a factory to get some jobs done. Unfortunately my time is limited to work on the bike so I am very happy to have Franki and his friends helping me out and also sending me progress pictures.

Here the first update on the luggage carrier system:
    When traveling I prefer aluminum-boxes so I can lock things away, well knowing, that the bike could be lighter with soft-luggage. The idea is to completely remove the cast-alloy stock luggage rack and replace it with a new system – a bit more adventure-like.
    Basic functions should integrate a top luggage carrier, detachable boxes and also detachable pannier rack so the top carrier can be used without panniers and side frame (and all should be still good looking).

Here the first picture of the carrier system. Top rack and removable box carriers.

Looks good - side parts are removable in case no boxes are needed. The aluminum plate for the rear luggage carrier is not yet on.

The side box holders are bolt-on, which is fine for me. We will have to find out if these bolts are getting loose when riding or not. Looks quite solid.

Local testing procedures ensure, that the build is really tough.

A drawing of the luggage carrier plate to be made in aluminum. Looks great.

Wire-cutting of the aluminum plate(s) in progress

Here you can see exactly what I suggested the luggage rack should look like. Removable in case you want to ride without boxes. Its bolt on, which is fine for me. Take a look at the aluminum luggage carrier. Nice job and good looking:

More to come...

AW.

...back to overview.
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 04-22-2010 at 10:44 AM.

5. #55 Aluminum Panniers 
    Hi,

I just edited the post about the rack system with new pix. Things are making great progress and I have just received the first pictures of the new panniers, as Franki introduced also on his XTR tread. I am really happy. It looks just as I wanted to have it and can't wait to get the bike back to my garage. Take a look:

Seating space to be seen from the side.

Seating position view - looks like enough space to sit comfortable for a companion - real travel will prof it - or not.

Leg space...

Some of you might know this fixing system. This gives also some flexibility of positioning of the panniers by simply moving the holder.

Will post more pix here once the bike is back.

AW.

Hi, here some more details on the panniers. The dimensions are as follows:

42 liters per box
    42cm X 25cm X 40cm L X W X H including the cover.

The covers have a seal to prevent water penetrating the box. It looks like this:

Inside, pretty familiar look. Clean too and, as mentioned, 3 hour pouring rain, no water came in:

Fixation to the rack looks like that. Note also the way, how the rack is fixed under the rear foot-peg. Quiteneat and functional too, without showing off to much art the outside:

The box comes with locks too. They seem to be a little weak-ish. Let's see over the time how they do. No big deal to change them to bigger/stronger ones.

UPDATE!

Just received a nice pair of inner bags, matching in dimensions the the new aluminum panniers. The bag factory even put the logo on the straps... nice job. I really like to travel with those bags because you can easily carry the content to the tent or room ant the end of a ride. They come with a map compartment as well and shoulder strap.

Not expensive actually. Anyone interested, please PM me. Not that I start selling accessories now but I can give you the contact.

Cheers,
    AW.

...back to overview.
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 05-12-2010 at 09:15 AM.

6. #56 Re: Aluminum Panniers 
    Mate, they look great but seems from the last pic you won't be leaning through any fast curves, and any passenger will have to be rather skinny! I know you aren't stupid like me so reckon perhaps you intend to ride solo and upright ...?

7. #57 Re: Aluminum Panniers 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Mate, they look great but seems from the last pic you won't be leaning through any fast curves, and any passenger will have to be rather skinny! I know you aren't stupid like me so reckon perhaps you intend to ride solo and upright ...?
    Hi Jape,
    I am quite happy with the project. It is all being done by some friends but not near to where I work. I see they have a pretty good understanding of what is needed but I also understand, that after testing there might be some adjustments necessary. This is China - no big deal to fix things. The project is quite some fun for me and I don't mind if this goes on for some time. Luckily I have some other bikes to ride until the JH is back.

Glad you are enjoying the report and thanks for the comments.

Greetings, AW.

8. #58 Re: My new JH600 
    Guten abend (morgen?) AW, yes I have followed and enjoyed this thread with a smile, you are doing what many of us would if we had time and money (and all those handy chinese mates about).

My girlfriend is too lazy and scared to ride herself but has a fatalistic trust in me. As soon as I get a full license we will head off for a few kilometers into the bush, not fast as my present bike is only 200cc.

My thoughts (not criticism) are that personally I would move the carriers back just six inches or so further than you and angle them in line with the narrowing shape of the bike, thus giving leg room for a passenger and also allowing a lower angle through long curves (which after all is the thrill the lasses want from us and an excuse for them to hold on tight ...). Mind you, I found out a few days ago it isn't all that easy to lean fast with knobbies if you don't have a berm to guide you, had to straighten up in the middle of a bend and take to the grass!

What is next? Long-range tank and sat nav?

9. #59 Re: My new JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Guten abend (morgen?) AW, yes I have followed and enjoyed this thread with a smile, you are doing what many of us would if we had time and money (and all those handy chinese mates about).

My girlfriend is too lazy and scared to ride herself but has a fatalistic trust in me. As soon as I get a full license we will head off for a few kilometers into the bush, not fast as my present bike is only 200cc.

My thoughts (not criticism) are that personally I would move the carriers back just six inches or so further than you and angle them in line with the narrowing shape of the bike, thus giving leg room for a passenger and also allowing a lower angle through long curves (which after all is the thrill the lasses want from us and an excuse for them to hold on tight ...). Mind you, I found out a few days ago it isn't all that easy to lean fast with knobbies if you don't have a berm to guide you, had to straighten up in the middle of a bend and take to the grass!

What is next? Long-range tank and sat nav?
    Hi Jape,
    afternoon now in Fuzhou. Be careful with leaning too much over...... there is always the unexpected.
    On most of the roads in China, riding at high speeds around the corner is not really recommendable, since there isa lot of the "unexpected" everywhere. If you want to stay alive, better play it safe.
    I have posted some more pix on seating position but I guess I will see what happens on a longer trip together with my wife. Let the experts talk then... I am prepared to do some changes if needed.

There is still a big list of things coming up. The Zumo 660 with cracked non off-set China map is already on hand. I just got a spare from shock assembly and will take out the spring for measuring - I will get a progressive spring from Germany.

As mentioned at the beginning - what I am doing here - pepping up a chinese bike - is in some aspects not very reasonable especially when looking on the financial side. BUT, that's the only bigger bike available to ride legally in China and that's what I want to do. Besides, it's fun and I meet interesting people.

Good luck, AW.

10. #60 Re: My new JH600 
    Hi AW, it may be that my 'middle-aged spread' and 188cm height is why I would need the panniers further backwards, Wendy already complains she is pushed off the back when I breathe in deeply!

Maybe an 'easy-rider' back rest with a whip aerial with an appropriate flag and a fake leopard tail hanging on the tip? You could bring back the '60's! Hmmm, I might do that one myself, I like the idea and when it was in fashion to do that kind of thing I was on a BSA motorbike not a Lambretta scooter so couldn't adorn the machine with chrome and flags without getting severe abuse from my mates! Shades of Quadrophenia ...

I think you are making a practical and good looking machine out of this model. Have you done many km on it?

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 456781626 ... LastLast