Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 311121314152333 ... LastLast
  1. #121 Re: Rear Shock Detail 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    thanks, franki. looking forward to mixing with the chinese-language JH600 community. there are as of now still none in shanghai, where jialing has sold only 5 sidecars, but no two-wheelers.

mine apparently will be the first.

That may be because Shanghaiese believed that bigger is better, haha.

2. #122 Re: Rear and Front Shock Detail 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Hi,

I have updated following modification posts:

REAR SUSPENSION MODIFICATION - edited 04-27-2010
    PROGRESSIVE FRONT SPRINGS - edited 04-27-2010

Still in communication with Wilbers on suspension details. Once this is done it will be easy to order these parts - provided that you are convinced about your return of investment... Everyone has to decide this on his own, since the stock suspension is really not that bad. My suggestion is to try it out first before making decisions.

Cheers,
    AW.
    Absolutely correct, customising is all about personal needs. I have enjoyed the original shock but I think I now need to have the rear shock spring from the sidecar version. But Jialing sells it at a high price

Great work,

Franki

3. #123 Re: Rear and Front Shock Detail 
    After months of hammering Jialing, my firend finally got them to squeeze it our of Showa, the front fork oil capacity is 534±2.5ml each side.

4. #124 Re: Rear and Front Shock Detail 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Quote Originally Posted by Franki View Post
    After months of hammering Jialing, my firend finally got them to squeeze it our of Showa, the front fork oil capacity is 534±2.5ml each side.
    Hi Franki,
    good information. Thanks. I will add this to my post to complete data. I bought one original Showa rear shock from them for evaluation. So I got two of them now since I fitted the Wilbers in. Could get it quite easy and wasn't that expensive. If you need a replacement let me know.

Cheers, AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

5. #125 Wheels and Tires 
    FINALLY

- the tires and wheels arrived from Germany. This took a long time. Parts are at the garage and I will fly up there so fit them on. Gonna be exciting. The rims are black anodized - looking really good. Here a first look:

Front wheel
    Rim: 1.60 X 2`1
    Tire: Heidenau K60, 90/90-21

Rear wheel
    Rim: 3.00 X 17
    Tire: Heidenau K60, 130/80-17

I have selected the Heidenau K60s because of their reputation for being a good, on and off road. They are supposed to perform slightly under a TKC80 off-road, therefore their total life-span should be higher. The TKC80 might have been my first choice, but considering how hard it is to get a good tire in China and my majority will be on-road riding, I think a tire with high milage performance is the better choice for me.

Here both of them together - I will start by changing over the front first.

The new wheel is more narrow but 21" high - same size as for example on a F650GS Dakar.

First needed to put on the disk and the speedo inductor using some Lock-Tite to secure the bolts.

The wheel goes in fast. First look... I will check later with the GPS the deviation of the speedometer due to the larger wheel size.

A bit tricky to get the fender back on. I used some little metal tubes as spacers. However, I think this might not be stiff enough on the long term, therefore I will design a CNC part in stainless again.

Here the new front look. As mentioned before already, I played around a bit and found,that the original fender still looks better than the higher motocross style type. It was not too hard to fit it on. Had to drill two little holes at the side to fit the fender to the forks. I move the holes a little backwards. This is bending it up a bit and compensates for the larger radius of the new wheel.

Now the rear wheel:

Here some scaling. The new rear wheel is almost 1.4kg lighter than the old one.

This is the transmission connection between wheel and sprocket hub. Took a picture to memorize the orientation of those rubber dampers, which need to go into the new hub.

A little complication came up. I asked the guys in Germany to make sure that the bearings are sealed well - which they did. However, they filled up some space with the sealing, which is actually needed for a lip at the sprocket hub. Left side you can see the seal, right side the original bearing with some space on top -there is no extra seal.

Had to stop for that night to go to the mold-shop for some milling work the next day. Above you see the lip going away... I do not see an actual function of this part - just in case I will order a new hub in case something wrong shows up after testing.

The wheel is in. Here I replace the old chain (actually it had o-ring seals) with a new one (had to take out three sections first).

Job done. Looks great I think. Now I feel more and more, that this black plastic chain-guard has to be replaced with something better looking...

I just made one test ride so far. The feeling is different of course and more to the direction I am used to. A clear difference made the larger rear sprocket (will post on this separately). The bike feels now more like dual-purpose and now I think that I have to sit a little higher. I ordered a new seat and plan to play around with the seat-cushioning later.

One modification seems to always ask for more. I am still enjoying doing it. Going pout for a ride adventure is of course the best thing to do. But if time doesn't allow for big adventures all the time, then some wrenching is good too.

Guys, let me know your thoughts on this modification.

Cheers,
    AW.

UPDATE!!!

In the pictures above I have shown an improvised fender raiser, made by using steel tubes. The raiser,which serves also as a fork bridge will be replaced by a CNC part. 3D drawing is ready now. Here a first look:

The original fender will fit right into this raiser. The final part will be made of stainless steel. Images once the part is ready.

Greetings,
    AW.

UPDATE!!!

The CNC fork bridge is finished. Here some pictures:

I am thinking about to increase the distance between the fender and the wheel a little more, but first The new springs need to go in. Then I will measure the spring travel and see, how much space is left between fender and chassis (under the front light), when the front is fully compressed. I want to avoid a crash if the fender is too high.

Keep you posted,
    AW.

...back to modification list.
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 05-23-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Update.

My New JH600

6. #126 Re: Wheels and Tires 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Gonna be exciting. The rims are black anodized - looking really good.

<snip>

Can't wait to see them on the bike.
    AW, between you and ChinaV, we're going to have to rename this site: myBlackChinaMoto.com. Black on black is going to look incredible! Now if you can get some of those blingey red rotors....
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #127 Re: Wheels and Tires 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    AW, between you and ChinaV, we're going to have to rename this site: myBlackChinaMoto.com. Black on black is going to look incredible! Now if you can get some of those blingey red rotors....
    You know...

....it always comes back to this. BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL!!!
    If I were ChinaVs age, I might consider some more funky stuff too .

AW.

My New JH600

8. #128 Re: Wheels and Tires 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Oh, and now I understand a bit more about the powder-coated boxes from Shanghai! Both the shape and color are significant!

jkp
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #129 Re: Wheels and Tires 
    Pfaelzer,
    I am going to go broke before I even receive my new JH600 if you keep showing me these "upgrades"! I have already added 30% to the original costs and I have yet to sit on the bike!

Just kidding, great ideas. How painful was the cost of the wheels?

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/DAVIDT%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]

10. #130 Re: Wheels and Tires 
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/DAVIDT%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/DAVIDT%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/DAVIDT%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 311121314152333 ... LastLast