Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1828363738
  1. #371 Re: Front springs 
    WOW!That work shop is amazing.Here is my two.

I got four Suzuki GS500E and three are in the big building being worked on.I had to go outside to get these pics through the window.

2. #372 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Pfaelzer
    Did you find any alternative smaller front sprocket with lower number of thooth (14).
    I have a Buggy , (Jocsports) with a similar to this engine (JH600B) fitted and I wanted to reduce the speed and increase the torque but I was unable to find a front sprocket on the aftermarket for other motorcycles (Honda or other) , that fits in the JH600 front sprocket shaft. I already have a huge back sprocket.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Hello friends,

let's get back again for a moment to the main topic: Modifications.

I felt, that the torque could be better at low rpm and also, while riding slow through villages, 2nd gear is usually too high (loud engine), whereas the ride is too slow for third gear. In order to improve this, I was looking for a larger rear sprocket.

So far, I could not find out, if Jialing is using any of the "international bike models" sprocket dimensions as their standard or if they have developed their own style. Didn't spend much time on this yet. So if anybody has an idea - please let us know here.

Luckily I came across a blank aluminum race sprocket with 48 teeth, 3 more than on the original sprocket. All I had to do was a little milling job:

Of course I copied the original hub measurements and bolt positions.

Here you can see all sprockets and the new chain, which I replaced at the same time.

Rear sprocket original: 45
    Rear sprocket replacement: 48
    Front sprocket: 15

Of course, only 3 teeth larger, does not make a huge difference in the sprocket diameter as you can see on the picture above. The new sprocket is under the original one in front.

RIDING EXPERIENCE:
    Even though, the diameter difference is not that big, there is a noticeable change, when riding the bike. It is definitely more responsive now.

Next I will try to find a 14 teeth front sprocket - curious to see this difference then.

Cheers,
    AW.

UPDATE!!!

Hi,

I had a nice ride today to the coastal area of Lianjiang. This was the first ride to really test the new sprocket set-up in different conditions. By now its is decided for me 100%. This change is really upgrading the performance of the motorcycle towards my riding style. The biggest really feel-able feature is the increase in torque at lower rpm. Exactly what I need. You go at low rpm through villages or off-road, open the throttle and the response is there right away. In general you can ride the bike at much lower rpm now without the engine being "snappy" or shaking. Now it is even possible to get little drifts in bends off-road, just by twisting the throttle (sorry KTM and performance bike guys - this is not a given of the JH600 from the beginning - some clutch help is needed for that).

For some folk the down-side might be the lower max speed. However, this set-up gives 5300rpm at 110km/h - not too bad, considering the red starts at 8.000rpm.

I am really hyped about that change now and will start to research the standard, Jialing is using for this bike, so we can order nice after-market sprockets. Not sure how long my aluminum sprocket will last.

To give some of you a better understanding, of what it means to ride cross country roads in China, here some "impressions".

Yeah, this looks a bit steep - actually was riding that path of the previous picture above back again and had to stop for that picture....

Nothing happened - here she stands at the beach....

Well, of course, there are also "normal" roads. But where is the fun at fighting trucks and busses all the time and breathing black smoke?

Hope you like the pix.

Cheers,
    AW.

...back to overview.

3. #373 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Hi Prosa,

I did not do a lot recently on the JH600 except for some smaller rides in the area, but I am still around (in case anybody is wondering...). I am also quite curious, to which international motorcycle brand the sprocket is compatible. I don't believe, that Jialing has its own design there.

In case anyone has some information - glad for input here. I will have one original sprocket shipped to some friends in Germany, they should be able to find that out too. Until then, the only option would be custom-milling. Not a really hard job for a good work-shop.

Cheers,
    AW
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

4. #374 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    Hi Prosa again,
    I am working on a front sprocket. In case somebody wants to try it out too, PM me.

REAR AND FRONT SPROCKET - edited 06-04-2012

Cheers, AW

My New JH600

5. #375 Re: My new JH600 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Pfaelzer

Thank you very much for your reply.
    My apologise for the delay answering.
    I found an american company with office in UK that asked me the dimensions of the shaft. They manufacture sprockets for most of the bikes in the world.
    As soon as I have time I will try to get the dimensions and send them. They told me that with the correct dimensions (diameters and number of splines) they will check on the files to see if they have already manufactured any sprocket for other make of Bike with the same dimensions.
    The company is http://www.jtsprockets.com/
    Regards

6. #376 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    I did not do a lot recently on the JH600 except for some smaller rides in the area, but I am still around (in case anybody is wondering...)...
    Mate, your still around MCM (China) and modifying your JH600?

7. #377 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    Hi TB,
    I am still around - roughly once a month up in Fuzhou. Not too many mods these days just some riding.

Cheers
    Pfälzer

My New JH600

8. #378 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    Hi AW,

I am now back from my S. America tour, I have time to help you here in HK. Just give me a call when you are in.

Cheers,

Franki

9. #379 Re: REAR SPROCKET 
    Quote Originally Posted by Franki View Post
    Hi AW,

I am now back from my S. America tour, I have time to help you here in HK. Just give me a call when you are in.

Cheers,

Franki

Welcome back. I am sure your trip was an excellent adventure. Did you ride the KLR you bought in the USA?
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

10. #380 Top speed - GPS measured 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Yes, welcome back Franki!

There is a one page spec test of the JH600 in this month's (June 2013) Motorcycle magazine (China):

It says they reached a top speed (GPS measured) of 145 kph. Sounds about right - I have had mine at sustained speeds of 135 kph (GPS measured) on the expressway, with a little bit of throttle remaining. If I was a 60 kg Chinese guy, 145 kph seems easily attainable.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1828363738