Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 1 of 38 1231121 ... LastLast
  1. #1 My new Jialing JH600 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Hello,

this is the story of my Jialing JH600 with pictures of the bike and MODIFICATIONS to turn it into an adventure bike. I will try to describe all improvements, changes and added accessories in detail. Each topic will have its own reference and the posts will be edited and updated according to the progress of the modifications.

Below a list of quick-links to the modifications done so far, sorted by recent editing dates:

REAR AND FRONT SPROCKET - edited 06-04-2012
    AIR-HORN - edited 04-28-2011
    PROGRESSIVE FRONT SPRINGS - edited 04-19-2011
    TOOL BOX - edited 01-04-2011
    JH600 parts manual - edited 09-15-2010
    SIDE PANEL MODIFICATION - edited 08-23-2010
    WHEELS AND TIRES - edited 05-23-2010
    ALUMINUM PANNIERS - edited 05-12-2010
    HAND GUARDS - edited 05-01-2010
    REAR SUSPENSION MODIFICATION - edited 04-27-2010
    ENGINE SUMP GUARD _ edited 04-17-2010
    LUGGAGE CARRIER SYSTEM - edited 04-10-2010
    HANDLEBAR RISERS - edited 03-05-2010
    SPARK PLUG - edited 02-26-2010
    ELECTRIC POWER SOCKETS - edited 02-23-2010
    LASER PRODURO MUFFLER - edited 02-11-2010
    AIR FILTER AND BOX - edited 02-11-2010

Please feel free to share or comment on information and experiences on JH600 modifications, improvements or other details, to make this thread a good source for everyone interested in this motorcycle.

Ride on.
    AW

Here is the latest set-up of the JH600 with a new set of wheels

Previous impressions:

Now including a nice toolbox attached to the mudguard.
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 06-04-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Improve content description of this tread

2. #2 Re: My new JH600 
    Phaelzer,

Welcome to MCM. I moved your post to it's own thread so more folks may get a chance to respond. Bike looks awesome mate! I'm sure the 21" front will change the feeling a lot.

Is the factory providing the 21" wheel or is it custom made?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: My new JH600 
    Very nice looking machine mate. Looks as 'dual-sports' as many others so described and the proof is in the riding and where you try and take it. I think most of these machines (like my Kinlon) are probably better seen as a dirt road/rough road bike rather than an off-road bike. Too many loose bolts, cheap alloys and plastics to be called 'sport'. More like 'dual purpose' and that suits me fine. Yours even has an engine guard and a windscreen! Lucky bugger.

4. #4 Re: My new JH600 
    Hi CrazyCarl,

I have a set of new wheels custom built at my friends place in Germany. I have sent them a pair of original hubs. The plan is to easily swap the original wheels with the new set to test out the difference. Will have them shipped in with a pair of TKC 80.

For that I also have to lift the fender a bit. I played around with a plastic motocross fender but I don't like it too much. So the plan is to cut the original fender in the center at the fork bridge and move it a bit apart to fit to the radius of the 21" wheel. I know this might be a little "over-the-top" for a China bike but I'm having fun with it. More mods to come...

5. #5 Re: My new JH600 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Hello,

here some pix of my Jialing JH600. Dual sports or not? I use it on and off road, exploring the Fuzhou area. Waiting for my 21 inch front wheel to come though. Does anyone have some nice modification ideas? I got a fine Laser exhaust from Franki.

Ride on.
    Hope to see more pictures here.
    Hey there, Pfaelzer...
    Nice photos of your JH600. How long have you had it? Did it come with the high mudguard & 21" front-end or is that something you put on yourself? Which model is it, Asian or Euro market model? What did it cost all up after all said and done, all inclusive price? Any contacts as far as purchasing (dealer/agent)?
    Have you managed to go off-road much and if so, how has it handled so far? Any plans to change the rubber on it to something more off-road biased?

I'm looking to buy one, but still waiting to hear back from JiaLing (email sent around 2 months ago)... so look forward to reading about your escapades and experiences with the JH...
    cheers
    Sunny-side-up
    Bikerdoc

6. #6 Re: My new JH600 
    Hi jape,

"Dual Purpose" is really the better name for it. I took the bike on some rough dirt roads. So far no loose bolts (yet). Windscreen is fine on faster roads but the engine guard needs some attention. In case of an impact on the "right" spot, the edge might cut right into the water pump. I'll look into this at a later time.

AW.

7. #7 Re: My new JH600 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Hi jape,

"Dual Purpose" is really the better name for it. I took the bike on some rough dirt roads. So far no loose bolts (yet). Windscreen is fine on faster roads but the engine guard needs some attention. In case of an impact on the "right" spot, the edge might cut right into the water pump. I'll look into this at a later time.

AW.
    Hi again,
    I saw your reply above where you wrote about the size of the wheels you are having custom made in Germany. Will they be wire wheeled rims too or cast alloy? Are the current wheels/tyres tubeless by any chance. Will be interesting to see how your JH performs with 21" wheel(s). One of the guys in our riding group has a JH he picked up mid 2009, here in Zhejiang, though he had problems with the front forks which were replaced under warranty. I think that your bike the way it is, looks pretty good with that elevated front guard, compared to the one my friend has, which sits just above the wheel...

When a group of us rode down LiShui way then down to southwest of Zhejiang and into Jiangxi last October, the JH600 blistered through some really rough terrain as though it was as smooth as, while the rest of us with big bore road bikes had to tip-toe through... bouncing and feeling every bump and gyration...
    :LOL:

8. #8 Re: My new JH600 
    Hello Bikerdoc,

I got the bike in spring 2009. Its the "euro market" model.The only difference to the "Asia market" model seems to be the seat height, which can be adjusted by moving the bolt at the lower end of the rear spring into a different position.

Due to my job there is not too much time for me to ride and work on it though. It comes with mudguard and a 19" front wheel and there is nothing wrong with that set-up. I just like to play around to see how the bike handles with the 21" wheel and TKC 80s.

There is a lot of information on your questions answered already in the threat from Franki (JH600 impression) and also in another threat JH600 impression (2). The price is a bit over 30.000RMB and I ordered it through my Chinese office staff directly from the factory - which, as I understand, is the only way to get one in the P.R.C. Ordering process, if you have someone speaking Chinese for you, is pretty straight forward. Place order by phone, get quotation, send the money, 4 weeks later the bike arrives. Some assembling work needs to be done. Registration is no big deal since the bike is made in China and I am not living in a city, which doesn't allow motorcycles.

It is not an off-road bike (200+kg) but its fine on dirt roads. Handles a bit like my F650GS. I am planning (and actually already did) some more modifications. Due to time restrictions this might be a longer process.

A friend of mine, Franki, also in this Forum, is well connected with Jialing. He is traveling right now but he surely will help you out on communication once he is back. Just PM him.

Hope you will manage to get a JH600 to grow the community in China and share experiences. I didn't regret buying it, especially after changing the muffler... I will bring this up a little bit later.

Cheers n safe ride.
    AW

9. #9 Re: My new JH600 
    bikerdoc
    The wheels are being built on alloy rims and steel spokes. I do not fancy cast alloy too much. The tires are with tubes. I am not sure if I keep the elevated front guard. You see, if I put in the 21' front wheel, then I need also to rebuild the fork bridge to make room for the bigger wheel radius, which I did already (the bridge). I also had to make an adaptor, to hold that elevated mudguard in the right position. On a off-road test ride, the higher bridge crushed into the mudguard and broke it (no worries, price 80 RMB). My plan you can see in post #4 above. However, there will be more space between the new wheel and that original, modified mudguard than in the stock setting. That'll help the look I guess.

Can't wait to get these wheels into my garage - but in Germany things take time...

AW
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 02-12-2010 at 08:08 AM.

10. #10 Re: My new JH600 
    Phaelzer,

Good to see another JH600 report in the forum. I too am looking at purchasing one depending upon what happens with my geographic location in the coming months. Keep us posted on how it works for you. Are you living in Hong Kong (I see that on your avatar) or on the mainland? Woher kommen Sie?

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 38 1231121 ... LastLast