Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 313212223242533 ... LastLast
  1. #221 Re: My new JH600 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Questions, not criticisms., I wonder why use Kevlar? Cheaper than all fabricated in carbon mat? Is carbon not the lighter material? And what are the flammability properties of that resin, is it not a bit close to the exhaust for safety? Did you consider a matching front kit to create a stealth profile for speed radar returns?
    Hi jape,

thanks for your interest. About the choice of materials: Carbon is very light, stiff and yes, also expensive. Problem with carbon laminates is impact resistance. It can crack and break on hitting a rock during a fall or so. Kevlar fibre is a synthetic polymer material, well known for impact strength (its being used in bullet proofed stuff). What I expect from this combination - and I am no expert in this and didn't do a lot of research too - is: On impact, the panel, mainly the carbon and the resin, might break but the Kevlar fibers are supposed to hold things together so the panel will not totally fall apart. I do not worry too much on flammability. The original panel is made of ABS, a thermoplastic material with much lower melting temperatures and higher risk to burn, than the resin, which is a thermoset polymer, doesn't melt. However, I'll stick some heat-shield material on the inside of the panel in the areas close to heat.

Of course I consider to do more, after developing some more skill and know-how. The tank is also bloody wide, when you ride up steeper trails, standing up, its "John Wayne-style" again. Much is possible, also on re-designing cockpit and so. But, time...

Cheers,
    AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

2. #222 Re: My new JH600 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Pfaelzer, you are so far ahead of the rest of us you are in another dimension.

Speaking of other dimensions, I think you need one of these:

http://www.nextengine.com/

and one of these...

http://www.dimensionprinting.com/

as featured in Jay Leno's Garage...

THIS IS AMAZING!

(these links should work inside China, including the NBC video in Jay Leno's Garage)

I do have a question: It seems up to now you've only replicated the Jialing stock side panels, but not modified them to make standing on the bike easier. Will these panels give extra leg room simply by virtue of using thinner/stronger materials? Or will you have to adapt them to move them in closer to the frame?

By the way, where did you get these engineers? What do they do for their day jobs??

cheers!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #223 Re: My new JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post

I do have a question: It seems up to now you've only replicated the Jialing stock side panels, but not modified them to make standing on the bike easier. Will these panels give extra leg room simply by virtue of using thinner/stronger materials? Or will you have to adapt them to move them in closer to the frame?

By the way, where did you get these engineers? What do they do for their day jobs??

HI euphonius,

thanks for compliments and links. If I just could spend more time up at the garage...

Of course I have re-designed the side panels. Generally minimized them and flattened them out especially in the leg area. Everything is as close to the frame as possible - that is the main purpose of this exercise. Luckily carbon has got this special color , which I (we) like so munch

Let's see if everything at the end is really stronger, that depends on the final execution and fixtures.

About engineers - well - my great fortune, behind that garage there is a nice factory with a mold-shop and a great support team. Without them, no garage like that and a much slower progress of things. I am really glad they are here doing all that stuff for that crazy gweilo...

Cheers,
    AW.

My New JH600

4. #224 Re: My new JH600 
    My goodness, those machines ... I want them .... I can't believe I took a nap and they went from $200K to less than $20K. My girlfriend wants to replace some parts of me with plastic because they have shrunk or worn out (that's my excuse) but I will wait for one that grows biological materials. You know, feed food scraps in one end and get a new part out the other, oh wait, that's called eating before sex ...

Thanks for the answer about the materials AW. I have friends that build high performance bows (archery) and they use carbon but stick to glass for the other layers, I will ask them about the flexibility and impact issues because I know those bows test the materials to the limits in both compression and tension.

5. #225 Re: My new JH600 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Jape, now you've made me cough up my coffee! Thanks for the laugh, and the vivid imaginings.

Actually, I neglected to post the best video -- the one where Jay Leno demonstrates these machinese.

IT'S HERE
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

6. #226 Re: My new JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Jape, now you've made me cough up my coffee! Thanks for the laugh, and the vivid imaginings.
    Well you are welcome, you can warm your crotch up by spitting coffee if you like, I guess I shall stick to my traditional methods which are: 1. falling asleep in the rocking chair and my smouldering cigar dropping into my lap, and the old faithful - 2. filling the bike and spraying petrol all over myself. DO NOT DO 1. just after 2. or you will need more than a plastic printer ...

7. #227 Re: My new JH600 
    Hi AW,

I am seriously interested in your side panel modification. Can I contact you when I am back in HK June 10 or 11?

I have to suspense my trip to turn back to HK for about 2 weeks. Then I shall return to Lhasa to continue my quest. Ther northern route to Ali and then Nepal.

XTR is doing as it should do, not great but hanging there.

Regards,

Franki

8. #228 Re: My new JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Did you consider a matching front kit to create a stealth profile for speed radar returns?
    xD That would be too cool. I am sure it would sell, especially if marketed "Designed with USAAF". Already seeing how Ghostrider would use it in his next vid.

9. #229 Re: My new JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by Franki View Post
    Hi AW,

I am seriously interested in your side panel modification. Can I contact you when I am back in HK June 10 or 11?

I have to suspense my trip to turn back to HK for about 2 weeks. Then I shall return to Lhasa to continue my quest. Ther northern route to Ali and then Nepal.

XTR is doing as it should do, not great but hanging there.

Regards,

Franki
    Hi Franki,

I'm in Korea now for two weeks. Hope to meet up with you later in Hong Kong. Tibet, Lhasa - I really miss that, must be great to be around there with a bike. Hope all is fine. The panel project is just at the beginning. Many things still to learn. Safe trip back.

Cheers,
    AW.

My New JH600

10. #230 Re: My new JH600 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Hi Franki,

I'm in Korea now for two weeks. Hope to meet up with you later in Hong Kong. Tibet, Lhasa - I really miss that, must be great to be around there with a bike. Hope all is fine. The panel project is just at the beginning. Many things still to learn. Safe trip back.

Cheers,
    AW.
    Hi AW,

Tibet is very beautiful especially on a bike. See attached photo as sample.

I am looking forward to meet up with you in HK. If you show me yours, I will show you mine, photos of course.

Ride on,

Franki

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 313212223242533 ... LastLast