Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8182627282930 ... LastLast
  1. #271 Re: TOOL BOX 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Hi,

back in Asia and finally a bit time to follow up on our project. The TOOLBOX post has been updated. More to come.

Greetings,
    AW.
    Modifications and talk around the JH600

My New JH600

2. #272 Re: TOOL BOX 
    C-Moto Guru
    Very nice job on the toolbox, I really like what you did. I assume the new mudguard and the toolbox are both made out of the same material?

What's next?

3. #273 Re: TOOL BOX 
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Very nice job on the toolbox, I really like what you did. I assume the new mudguard and the toolbox are both made out of the same material?

What's next?
    Hi Barry,
    the material grade of the aluminum is 7075 - pretty hard but cannot be bent well - therefore welding. The project is not finished yet - I found the box a bit small and on top of that, when doing a ride this morning, I had to break hard, forcing the front spring to bottom out (have not installed the progressive springs yet) and the 21inch front wheel touched the box. I have to re-think the design. I am sure the box works well on the original 19 inch front wheel.

Next? The list is still big. As mentioned the progressive springs and a different choice of fork oil, I still got the new horn from chinabiker on my desk, then the front fender needs to be extended - too much dirt comes up to the engine and everywhere when riding in mud, got to work on the light as well...

It takes time and on top of that I started to ride out on my old CJ750 again, which I really like a lot these days and which slows down progress on the JH600.

Did you already choose a ride in Beijing, Barry?

Greetings,
    AW.

My New JH600

4. #274 Re: TOOL BOX 
    DO NOT THROW AWAY the tool box you have!! I will buy it and the pan guard from you for my JH. I still have stock guard and am keeping the 19 inch wheel. Just tell me what you want and I will wire funds!
    021.jpg
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

5. #275 Re: TOOL BOX 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Did you already choose a ride in Beijing, Barry?
    The QingQi QM250 (ChinaV owned until recently) looks like a nice bike to start with, but I don't want to rush into buying one now to get it registered before the 1st of January (CCC compliance). TIC, if something goes wrong while registering and we hit the next year I might be stuck with a bike I can't register! Budget wise I'm only at about 60% for getting a JH600 including 京A plates. Maybe something cheap (local) 2nd hand with 京A plates, while saving money!

6. #276 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    I changed the original Chinese spark-plug against an Iridium alternative, which promises that the engine runs better on low rpm.

...back to overview.
    Just looked up the maintenance manual of JH600 from Jialing and found that the recommended plug is CR8E. Is there a reason why you selected CR7E instead?
    (Don't know much about spark plug, but my Google search results mentioned something about the fact that CR8E is a "colder" plug. Does this have anything to do with your choice?)

By the way, all write-ups about spark plug want the plug "properly gapped" before installation. Is the new plug likely to need adjustment in its "gap", typically?

Cheers.

7. #277 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    By the way, all write-ups about spark plug want the plug "properly gapped" before installation. Is the new plug likely to need adjustment in its "gap", typically?
    I've never seen an NGK plug that wasn't gapped correctly, but I have seen people carry them without protection or drop them and not check the gap. You will notice that NGK plugs have a little cardboard tube that protects the end of the plug during shipping.

On another note, where are you JH600 guys getting your tires? Anyone have a Taobao link for a reputable supplier?

Cheers!
    ChinaV

8. #278 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    When I was rebuilding VW Type IIIs back in an earlier life, plugs always had to be properly gapped, and that's why we always had feeler gauges. When I learn to service the valves on my JH600 I'll need a set of feelers. Any thoughts on where to get these?

As for the NGK plugs, I hate the little cardboard boxes that all plugs seem to come in -- even with the protective tube around the gap end -- since the box is always crushed amidst all your other stuff, and the tube falls off, and, yes, you start worrying about the gap. The spare plug on my California KLR is always tucked safely away in a purpose-built plastic holder, but I've never seen these here in China. I'm guessing they can probably be had up in Jiaoji Lu scooterville, but I've never remembered to look.

good question about JH600 tires, as I'm about due for a new set. I do see suppliers in Taobao, but have no idea who's reliable. ChinaV, I thought you'd volunteered to help us source some decent rubber there in GZ/HK?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

9. #279 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Just looked up the maintenance manual of JH600 from Jialing and found that the recommended plug is CR8E. Is there a reason why you selected CR7E instead?
    (Don't know much about spark plug, but my Google search results mentioned something about the fact that CR8E is a "colder" plug. Does this have anything to do with your choice?)

Cheers.
    Hi milton,

my JH600 actually cam with the "hotter" plug, the CR7E from the Jialing factory. A hotter plug means in general, that the "optimum operating temperature is lower. Meaning, if you would ride the bike very hard, the plug might over-heat, burn or ignite wrongly.

I changed to the Iridium, based on a suggestion from Franki and some general research on the internet. I found, that especially idling and low rpm performance was much smoother.

The NGK homepage provides good insight and details on plugs. and there is another good information source here. I am happy with the improvement I got with the Iridium plug, but didn't look more into details since. It might be good to take a look at the plug after a good ride and judge it based on the details provided by those links. Well,... one thing at a time.

Greetings,
    AW.

My New JH600

10. #280 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    Hi milton,

I changed to the Iridium, based on a suggestion from Franki and some general research on the internet. I found, that especially idling and low rpm performance was much smoother.
    Thanks, Pfaelzer, for the information and links. I noticed the same improvement when I replaced the factory plug with a NGK Iridium (CR7E) after reading your posts. Just couldn't figure out why the plug failed after only 3000km (which was why my JH600 wouldn't start last time. It wasn't the kick stand switch.).
    By the way, is there a need or good reason to also replace the spark plug wire with a better kind, and which kind to get? Euphonius suggested that. There is a perplexing array of wires offered on the market. Don't know which type to get.
    Cheers!
    Milton

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8182627282930 ... LastLast