Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: My new JH600

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234561424 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: ELECTRIC POWER SOCKETS 
    Nice mods, Phaelzer. Who would have thought a CM would come with VDO gauges?

2. #32 Re: ELECTRIC POWER SOCKETS 
    Hong Kong, China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, USA, Pirmasens
    Quote Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
    Phaelzer,

How many watts does the JH's alternator put out? You're going to have the world's most tricked-out JH600 when you're done with all your modifications.

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Hi Dan,

the Jialing homepage says that the magneto of the JH600 brings 330W. If this is the performance then its a bit lower than a F650GS, which brings 400W. So maybe I need to watch the power if using electric heated clothes or a beer cooler...

To monitor the battery condition I am planning to implement that volt-meter into the dashboard. There are some pretty nice JH600 modifications being done by Chinese riders. Check out the pictures on Baidu.com

AW.
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 02-24-2010 at 07:19 AM.

3. #33 Re: ELECTRIC POWER SOCKETS 
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    Nice mods, Phaelzer. Who would have thought a CM would come with VDO gauges?
    Hi David,
    Who would have thought, that BMW would - ever - make motorcycles in China? I guess the VDO stuff comes directly from Siemens China.

Greetings,
    AW.

4. #34 SPARK PLUG 
    I changed the original Chinese spark-plug against an Iridium alternative, which promises that the engine runs better on low rpm.

Looking at the old plug one can see black burn marks not only at the electrodes but also at the tread. I didn't take off the head but it seems that not only the top part of the plug with the electrodes but also a part of the thread reaches far into the combustion chamber? Does anyone know if this is normal?

I think a plug should sit in the head like this? Even it does not hit the piston or valves it still can disturb flow of air/fuel mixture during loading and discharging when it "stands out" too much, or not?

AW.

...back to overview.
    Last edited by Pfaelzer; 03-26-2010 at 03:37 PM.

5. #35 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    I changed the original Chinese spark-plug against an Iridium alternative, which promises that the engine runs better on low rpm.

Looking at the old plug one can see black burn marks not only at the electrodes but also at the tread. I didn't take off the head but it seems that not only the top part of the plug with the electrodes but also a part of the thread reaches far into the combustion chamber? Does anyone know if this is normal?

AW.

Judging from your old plug it should be normal. There is no hitting mark from the piston and there is room for the intake/exhaust valve to open at TDC.

Lab test shown 60% ignition improvement at idle speed but no big improvement at top end.

Franki

6. #36 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    I'm long way from being an expert but that old plug looks brown around the ceramic too, therefore too much heat xfer somewhere. You may need a hotter plug and a slight alteration to timing all else being right.

7. #37 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    Hi Jape,
    Agree with the plug color. But to judge that, the engine needs to run on "operating condition" for some time before taking the plug out. Guess we did some short runs only in this case. Will monitor that later.

Hi Franki,
    I don't think it is a major issue but my feeling is, that the plug needs to look like in the other pic (post #34) I just posted and should not "stand out" too much inside of the combustion chamber to help the flow.

AW.

8. #38 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfaelzer View Post
    Yes, it's normal. Most of my plugs come out looking like yours. Some heads don't have threads at the very bottom which allows a bit of carbon to build up on the plug, some other heads will allow a couple of exposed threads inside the combustion chamber.

I think the brown on the ceramic could just be poor quality of materials used in the OEM plug, or dirty water burning off after washing the bike or trail riding.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

9. #39 Re: SPARK PLUG 
    Hi ChinaV,
    I might have stuck my nose too much into tuning literature and this issue might be really irrelevant on this low compression engine. I haven't seen many heads of CMs from inside. Thanks for your explanation. Once I have to open the head of my JH600 - hope this will not happen too soon - then I'll post some pix.

Greetings, AW.

10. #40 Re: My new Jialing JH600 
    I am new to these bikes so have to ask a dumb question: what is the fitting on the back wheel that rises up from the swing arm and looks like a weird extra guard? Seems to me that in the bush that would fill with twigs and mud and jam up!

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234561424 ... LastLast