Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New comer from New Zealand! 
    Hi there! Been snooping around the forum for a couple of weeks now, so it's only polite that I get on board!

Starting a RTW trip in Beijing early next year, so research is starting in earnest now! (I'm the type that enjoys the research and planning almost as much as the trip itself...)

Looking forward to learning about the ins and outs of biking in China, what bikes are available, and how the logistics of it all will work!

Shiney side up,

Sam

2. #2 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Welcome Sam,

Good luck to you on your great adventure. You mentioned the JH600 in another post and you might want to spend some time in their hometown of ChongQing getting the bike sorted out. Fellow member Chinabiker has a lot of knowledge of Beijing and also knows the ins and outs of what you will need for getting the bike out of China and into other countries.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

3. #3 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Welcome Sam,

Good luck to you on your great adventure. You mentioned the JH600 in another post and you might want to spend some time in their hometown of ChongQing getting the bike sorted out. Fellow member Chinabiker has a lot of knowledge of Beijing and also knows the ins and outs of what you will need for getting the bike out of China and into other countries.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Thanks for that ChinaV, was thinking I might do that when I head West to Tibet, so there's minimal back tracking...

Will contact Chinabiker too!

4. #4 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Sam,

Just a couple things you may already know or other people are probably going to point out to you.

#1 You will need a residence permit to obtain a license, registration and motorcycle in China. If you're not working and living here, you can get someone else to buy the bike for you, but that will make it quite difficult to get it out of the country and into other places. The license issue has been beat to death on MCM, I'm sure you can figure out what is best by searching the site.

#2 Tibet is off limits to foreigners. You will find it very difficult to just slip through without some serious local knowledge and perfect timing. If you're OK with hiring an official (expensive and restrictive) guide, Tibet shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with the quest.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Yo-Sambo!

You have a great trip planned there! Where have you done most of your research on it so far?

Also, I have a buddy in Christchurch, NZ who has extensive overland experience in China... pretty much the most out of anyone I know and he has documented his travels quite well. Let me know if you want to contact him.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

6. #6 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    Sam,

Just a couple things you may already know or other people are probably going to point out to you.

#1 You will need a residence permit to obtain a license, registration and motorcycle in China. If you're not working and living here, you can get someone else to buy the bike for you, but that will make it quite difficult to get it out of the country and into other places. The license issue has been beat to death on MCM, I'm sure you can figure out what is best by searching the site.

#2 Tibet is off limits to foreigners. You will find it very difficult to just slip through without some serious local knowledge and perfect timing. If you're OK with hiring an official (expensive and restrictive) guide, Tibet shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with the quest.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Yes, I've heard that too on the grapevine. Not sure about tibet yet, hopefully the situation improves by the time I get there, otherwise I'll have to try another way...

Going over with my partner, who's from China originally, so she'll help me purchase a bike. The (very) rough plan is for her to buy the bike, ride with me to outside of China (probably Ulaanbaatar), sell the bike to me, then she'd fly back, as she's hoping for a job in either Shanghai or Beijing.

7. #7 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Yo-Sambo!

You have a great trip planned there! Where have you done most of your research on it so far?

Also, I have a buddy in Christchurch, NZ who has extensive overland experience in China... pretty much the most out of anyone I know and he has documented his travels quite well. Let me know if you want to contact him.

CC
    Cheers Carl! That would be great! I've actually done most of my research on Russia at this stage, as up to date information on China is a bit harder to come by (I've hosted a few Russian travellers through CouchSurfing, who are fountains of russian visa and driving conditions knowledge). Would be great to talk to someone who's been through China on an NZ passport!

8. #8 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Well he actually went through on an Ozzie passport but I'm sure it wouldn't be much different for a ZeaLander. Give me a couple-o-days and I'll see if he's still available.

Also, your partner could probably sell you the bike right after she purchases it. May be easier that way in case she's ever not around. Also, if you're planning on starting in Beijing, definitely contact Chinabiker... he's a good guy and is full helpful ideas that could get you on your way.

Paz,
    CC

9. #9 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Well he actually went through on an Ozzie passport but I'm sure it wouldn't be much different for a ZeaLander. Give me a couple-o-days and I'll see if he's still available.

Also, your partner could probably sell you the bike right after she purchases it. May be easier that way in case she's ever not around. Also, if you're planning on starting in Beijing, definitely contact Chinabiker... he's a good guy and is full helpful ideas that could get you on your way.

Paz,
    CC
    Cheers for that! So let me get this straight - I can't buy a new bike from a dealer, but I CAN buy a bike second hand in a private trade? Is this fine from a legal point of view? (I kind of want to keep things legal as much as possible, that maybe a forlorn hope though..)

10. #10 Re: New comer from New Zealand! 
    Sure... buying "second hand" is how you would have to buy it from a dealer anyway. If you don't have a residence permit, then there's no way you can register the bike in your name. As such, someone would have to purchase and register it for you then immediately sign it over. When you buy a "second hand" bike you get the plates, insurance, documents and the whole shootin' match.... after that, all you need is the driving license and you're good to go! I seem to recall Chinabiker knew a way to get a temporary license in Beijing but I'm not sure about the details.

CC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast