Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 fuel consumption? 
    I thought I should get about 2.5 litre per 100km with my 4 stroke 200cc kinlon but on a rough check it is more like 3.5+ on tarmac and that is of course a smooth run without revving all over the place as one would in the bush off-road. That is perhaps because I weigh about 100kg with leather and helmet and also being 188cm I catch a bit of wind ... still disappointing with just an 8l tank and Australia is a big place if you go bush across country.

I cannot find a small flat canister to carry a spare 4 litres strapped behind me in the local shops and I am a bit wary of that anyway. So I thought of changing the tank. How easy or usual is it to change tanks? I don't care about looks, are they pretty standard or are they all made to fit the bike? Not something to faff about with lightly but I could do with a 12 litre tank at least.

Now I have just got to work out the extra weight/performance loss curve of course.

2. #2 Re: fuel consumption? 
    Not a whole lot of room on CMotos to stick auxiliary tanks but usually you can find some seat packs or saddle bags which could hold some spare fuel. What are you doing for luggage?

Changing tanks isn't extremely easy unless a larger one is already pre-made for the model. If you have access to a good welder, you can always have the old one chopped and expanded, then repainted in flat black.

Not sure about the fuel efficiency but 3.5l/100k does seem a bit high but not too much. That would be about 65mile/gal here in the US and that's not horrible for a 200cc with no wind protection and a full size rider...especially if there's any wind.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: fuel consumption? 
    I didn't convert the consumption, should have as it sounds better that way! Tank size is pretty small then. I guess they think we just go a few km at a time.

Have no idea if any stock windshield or luggage racks fit this machine and difficult to find that sort of information. The importers have ignored every query I have sent them so far, bugger 'em. There is usually a bit of wind on the freeways, even on still days, the landscape sort of creates it it seems! The freeway was just a five km stretch (a shortcut back from town) I took for the first time yesterday and it was like driving into a brickwall, slowed down to 80 kph tops with the rev limiter stuttering, so I will have to find back roads to go anywhere long distance.

Usually on the back roads near me I don't see a soul so I was apprehensive of the town traffic, my first time in town on a bike for decades. I handled it OK as I had forgotten that the disadvantages of a bike are balanced by the ability to go round things, up the pavement, through car-parks etc ... it was amusing to see how differently people who have known me for years acted when I showed up in black leathers. Quite wary until they recognised me!

At present I use a small backpack just strapped to the seat behind me. And a bigger one on my own back if shopping!

Looks as if any rack would require mods to the rear guard plastics and passenger hand grips. And of course the lights and indicators are integral and the exhaust comes up high. One day I shall take it all off and fabricate/alter a rack system, just enough to take a rear bag and a pannier opposite the exhaust. That will be the extra fuel side if i do that, away from heat and sparks. Seems safer to alter the tank but such mods are a little expensive for me. Probably will just get a bigger bike in a couple of years if I can still ride and meanwhile put up with this.

What do you use for carrying fuel on your cruising trips Carl, it looked ust plastic bottles in your video? Don't you need a particular type of plastic?

4. #4 Re: fuel consumption? 
    Did you change your rear sprocket yet jape? If not, you should be able to see a better kpg when you do since the rpms won't be so high.

5. #5 Re: fuel consumption? 
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    Did you change your rear sprocket yet jape? If not, you should be able to see a better kpg when you do since the rpms won't be so high.
    Its paid for and on order David!
    I sometimes think I must seem like a real whinger to others about everything I go on about but I am just battering away at reality trying to make it work for me! Must be old age makes it seem negative rather than positive, fortunately I still cackle with glee as I find the courage to lean through a bend, throttle hard against the stop and knobblies slipping away from under me, it is fun even on this little chinese madam.

6. #6 Re: fuel consumption? 
    You sound fine to me. I'm still getting my "sea legs" when it comes to motorcycling. It's been awhile since I rode but I'm having fun doing it and modding my bike to fit my needs and riding style.

7. #7 Re: fuel consumption? 
    Quote Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
    You sound fine to me. I'm still getting my "sea legs" when it comes to motorcycling. It's been awhile since I rode but I'm having fun doing it and modding my bike to fit my needs and riding style.
    Yes, it is good to be alive on a bike at times.
    Ii is incredible the things we can do and take for granted so quickly, like internet, mobile broadband and cellular phones, all of that was 'Buck Rogers' when I was a kid, now I have a 42 inch HD LCD and all my music on a USB stick playing through surround sound.
    Amazing world - and china-bikes to allow the relatively poor amongst us to 'hoon around' as the Australians say.
    HOWEVER I had hoped that by now the 'transformer' technology would have kicked in so Madame Wong (my Kinlon) would sense by my body attitude that she need instantly transform into a lean mean cruisin' machine (with guided missiles). Or am I getting mixed up with my fantasies about Uma Thurman?
    And it is funny how leather still is the best protection, bloody hot in Aus though.