Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Crash bobbins/ sliders/ mushrooms ? 
    Has anyone fitted these to these bikes ?

In the case of the solid axles, did you drill and thread them ?

In the case of the front axle with it's hex socket axle removal portion, how did you overcome this ?

I intend to fit bobbins on my bike and can see various places they will fit and offer protection, but am having a conflict of thought on the front axle due to the 12mm x 10mm deep axle removal socket that there is there. do I just drill deep, or thread the socket itself to take a m12 bobbin fixing bolt.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

2. #2 Re: Crash bobbins/ sliders/ mushrooms ? 
    Sprocket, what ware you trying to accomplish by adding these? If you're looking for something to protect the frame, they usually need to be attached to the frame itself.

Also I definitely do NOT recommend drilling into your axles....even if they are solid.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: Crash bobbins/ sliders/ mushrooms ? 
    The bike I have now, when I got it, there was clear evidence of it having taken a slide, as the front rim anodising was scuffed off, a slim circle of road rash, the forks were scratched and the shin guard (fork protector) on one side and the front fender were cracked, Other damaged included brake master cylinder heavily scuffed, engine case scuffing, again cracked and melted side plastics and damage to the rear swingarm and wheel. Now with the spares I got with the bike, I have fitted the best parts, repaired all other damage so the bike looks undropped now, a lot of work done, it occurs to me as I am a learner, it is likely I might undo all my hard work, so I am looking to protect the bike should it go sideways.

These crash sliders, I got the idea from a pal whose Yamaha Thundercat went sideways due to a blind car driver, the crash sliders he had fitted protected the bike from gravel rash, the sliders were sacrificed they took the impact and the road damage, so I am considering fitting something to my bike.

The frame, I have sorted out where they may go on that, but the swingarm and forks are a problem due to the axles being solid. Now there are other bikes with solid axles and with them the course of action is to drill and tap a m6 by 15mm hole in each side of the axle to fit these plastic (delrin) sliders.

What I was asking about, was if anyone had already done it to their China bike and if so, how did they get around the m12 by 10mm socket on the speedometer drive side of the axle.

Sliders if they protrude far enough from the frame not only guard the engine side casings and plastics, but also the leg in the event of the bike trapping the leg between the bike weight and the ground in the event of a slide. It was for this purpose I originally asked about side protection bars, the thought of getting trapped under the bike. I also heard those standard kingstone tyres are not too friendly on our roads, but for me they will have to stay on until I can afford softer rubber, but just in case, the fitment of crash bobbins/mushrooms/ sliders eases the mind should shit happen.

4. #4 Re: Crash bobbins/ sliders/ mushrooms ? 
    Well, I didn't need to be out on the road and fall off it for damage to occur, for last night the wind blew it over and now I have damage. The renthal braced bar ends are scuffed and the handgrip punched through, my newly repainted front fender got it too. I have a new scuff on the engine casing and the rear brake drum rod is looking a bit different, along with the axle end. No more damage that I can see yet, but the tank and panels were not on at the time. So given what a simple fall over can do, I am going to look into the sliders again, with the solid axles, maybe drill and tap elsewhere, to fit as fall over protection for me, is necessary.

What aided the thing going over was a simple bike cover, it must have acted like a sail in last night's wind, and is now scrunched up in the bin as it was shredded by both bike and wind and I feel probably it is best that the wind can blow through the bike, not up against it.