Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey all,

I just found the site and love it! Currently, I am beijing and have owned a Jialing for more than a year... don't know much a bout other than it is about 150cc, small, and seems to have served my needs well enough.

The problem is that I have been about the 3rd hand owner, and I know the one before didn't care for it too well. I am having dependability issues now. It seems the electrical systems are completely faulty, to the point that I never know if the head light will come on or not, or the horn would randomly stop working (not good in Beijing!). The ride is good enough, but the motor is difficult to operate, and likes to stall at lights. In general, I am not very satisfied, but I can't complain for only 1,000 RMB!

Recently, it seemed to have broke down in a major way. I don't have any tools and the shops are closed as the workers are likely still home for the holidays....all I know is that there was a loud cracking metal sound from the engine as I was shifting, chian fell off (3rd time actually) and an hour and a half of pushing to my destination.

So, reading around the site, I seem to get the impression that Jialing's are not that bad? Is this actually true? I am considering buying a new bike, and have noticed that Lifan and especially the Regal Raptors are highly recommended, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

What I am looking for:
    In expensive (don't want to put down more than 7,000 if possible...)
    Dependable and lasting.... I am tired of all these repairs.....
    reasonable power..... I hate being stuck with tail gaters.... scares the shit out of me how close they get!

Thanks for any help!

2. #2 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    It all depends on what size you want. If you are happy with 125-150cc singles I'd go with a Wuyang or Sundiro Honda or Jianshe Yamaha, Haojue or Qingqi Suzuki the build quality is much better than the purely Chinese made bikes usually such as Jialing and Zongshen. The resale also is much better on these bikes too.

Honda CBF150

Jianshe Yamaha YBR125

Both bikes cost around the 9000 RMB mark, but you can get bikes cheaper for around 7000, such as some of the non-exported joint venture bikes but really in the end you'll get your money back in resale value, reliability and fuel consumption, with these two.

If you want a bike over 150cc then choices get more complex, describe what you want to do with the bike. Most of the time people are only buying non joint venture bikes such as Jialing and Zongshen, Regal Raptor and so on because they want bikes above 200cc or are keen to save money. For example the YBR250 costs 25,500, but the YBR125 9000!!?? So with OK Chinese 250s starting at 10,000 you can see why people are exploring the choices available.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

3. #3 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well, I have two potential possibilities:
    The primary use will be getting around town. I have really gotten used to the efficiency and quickness with this last bike, and got a bit addicted to it. Something about having to ride the bus for 1.5 hours to work, or ride for only 25... I prefer the ride. Usually, I am a casual rider, not looking for higher performance, but having experience w/ bike sports, I do enjoy it greatly! However, that performance is probably way out of my price range for now, so the main goal will be to get around town. My schedule this semester is going to be really tight, as I will have to travel from school to school, and have very little time between.... In many cases, I would have to put out for a cab if I didn't have a bike.

The other thing is that eventually, I would like to make a bike tour around China. I know what I am describing wouldn't really be ideal for that. When I do that, I think it might be just as easy to look at renting something more suitable.

In all actuality, I liked the looks and performance of the Regal Raptor that was being talked about, just beyond what I am able to pay for right now.

4. #4 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    In your situation, I'd find a good mechanic, get a new chain and sprocket set, have the carb looked at and the electrical system fixed, it should be pretty cheap, I'd be able to get the thing running well for around 200 where I am. Then I'd save for a bigger bike. Or get the best regularly exported 125-150 Japanese badged bike you can for the money you have, do your homework. Sure you can pick up Qingqi 125s and similar for around 5000, but you'd end up with drum brakes all round and bits possibly falling off or going wrong on it fairly soon, and well as many bolts that are not tight and do not have loctite and the resale is poor unless you can find another foreigner who wants it after you.

You might want to be careful in Beijing, as sometimes the registration costs of a new bike my be pretty high, so a new bike might end up costing you much more than you thought.

If you need to go that far for work everyday, I'd really suggest a well bolted together150. Sundiro have just introduced the CBX150, same engine as the CBF150 without all the fairings, and twin shocks so it might be a little cheaper than 9000.

Also remember that you have to blackmail the dealer to make sure they get the bike registered on your behalf, do not pay anymore than a deposit (suggest twice registration cost) until the bike has plates and insurance and you are ready to ride it out of the dealers. Also make sure they honor their warranty, as some of them are happy to, others hate it, and keep delaying ordering of new parts.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

5. #5 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thank you very much, all this info is very helpful! Currently, I have to wait till the repair guys get back from the holiday to get the bike into a shop... What I do know is that the Carb is new as I replaced that shortly after I took possession of the thing, but unfortunately, the repairs here are much more expensive... replacing the carb for example cost nearly 300... but I have put about a 700 RMB cap on what I will be willing to spend considering that is what a mechanic told me that's what it's worth.

Perhaps this will be motivation to work really hard this semester/year, and that is the reward I will get for myself ;0). In terms of registration however, I know some other people who have bikes here, and they say that they go to hebei to register them for about a 10th of the price. Most of the time, the cops don't really care around here. Hell, the plate I did have ended up braking off about 6 months ago, and I have not had any problems yet!

The info regarding the dealers is especially helpful, as I sometimes find it difficult to know what is and is not expected in China. Since I know now, it can help to protect myself, and reduce some of the headaches China likes to bestow upon ya!

Thanks again!

6. #6 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    If you're paying 300rmb to have a Chinese carb installed in China you're paying WAY too much. I'd recommend contacting some riders in your area... there are more than a few on MCM from Beijing that could point you in the right direction of a good wrench.

If you're looking for new bikes, check out the QingQi 200cc enduro. That's probably one of the best bikes to tour China at the moment since it can be bought for less than 8k RMB, had good components and a very strong luggage rack.

Also, I had a Jialing JH150 GY-2 which, while not bad, did require A LOT of maintenence. Something or another was always breaking of falling off every few hundred kilometers but she's made some pretty long trips! Buying second hand bikes in China a risky proposition unless you know you'll have to put at least a couple hundred kuai into it. Even still... 300rmb for a carb is too much....sounds like you're getting the special laowai discount.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #7 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Awesome! This is even better information, especially considering how compared to what it would cost in America, that still seems cheap! I actually found a new guy right down the street from home... haven't had a chance to do any MAJOR work with him, but he seems decent enough so far.... we shall see as soon as I start repairing the above problems! Just so I know, what is some good price ranges that I should try to shoot for concerning basic maintenance. This like oil changes, chain lubes, new tires/tube repair?

8. #8 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    Generally in most places in China most mechanics work just to make the markup on parts, this is because labor is so cheap. However on big jobs such as gearbox rebuilds they will charge minimally for their time. Obviously Beijing would differ from other places, and probably charge more.

Oil change with reasonable quality mineral oil. (One liter foreign brand, but made in China (ELF, Castrol, Shell 30RMB)).
    New battery (reasonable quality) 90RMB
    New Chain (reasonable quality) 50RMB
    Chain lube is free, but its usually just old engine oil, so shop around for imported dry chain oil. Or use left over new engine oil or gearbox oil/grease. I normally just buy a new chain instead!

Don't get your tubes fixed, buy tubeless tires!

Shop around for a friendly good mechanic, but occasionally go elsewhere to keep him honest!

There is no reason in China why you can't keep an old (clutch type not scooter) 125 going for ages, as parts and labor are so cheap. Old 125s hang around at a 1,000-1,500RMB level for years, as long as they run OK.

9. #9 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That all sounds fairly reasonable. I was an avid cyclist before I started righting motorcycles and the chain thing was really killing me.... The only Mechanics I was able to find were some hole in the wall kind of guys, and that old engine oil idea they used never sat well with me.... but I had never been able to do any thing different. Perhaps I will try to get by some dealers to see if they have it... Like CC was saying, I am constantly having to repair something, and it just makes me feel better, keeping the chain lubed up, just so that doesn't cause any problems later...

The only real downside in the situation I am currently in is dependability.... I can't know if it will crap out right as I am leaving for work

Can you get tubeless tires from the small mechanic shops around or do you usually have to go to a dealer?

10. #10 Re: New mount, ideas/suggestions? Jialing? 
    Tubeless tires are available even at small mechanics shops, but usually need to be ordered. The brands Sakura, Cheng Shin (sometimes badged CST) and Duro are mostly OK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast