Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    It sounds like a good bike indeed, but to say it is the ONLY chinese that can compare is a bit arrogant. The LD450 (or whatever it's called in other coutries) seems to be impressing a lot of people too.

And i agree totally with Jape, if i can't get basic info like the price from a website and it's even a hassle to email to find out, i'm just not going to bother. Whatever your reasons are, most people browsing your website will see bikes and go "how much?". If they don't have an answer after a few seconds they'll probably move on and forget.

2. #12 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    It is your business and your choice but I still disagree strongly. I think your position is negative and defensive. As I said, you lost a good sale of up to 3 machines you could have had via my reading your post here alone. They got what they wanted elsewhere - yes, Chinese and yes, cheap and yes, good enough value. You can put the defensive bit about prices on your website and let intelligent people make the decision for themselves. Most that read these forums with a purchase in mind would do their research, read reports and reviews and then look for a local dealer. You simply need to support the machine, participate in forums like this, get into magazines like CC's and half your job is done. You will also get intelligent and experienced feedback.
    Have you read the J600 threads? They show just what committed riders can contribute and also in part how good dealers work with such riders and build a small but growing market for themselves.

3. #13 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    I have an idea what the prices are and should be, upfront pricing is not imperative.

I think the water cooled 250 bikes are hard sells too much to fast, in that the singles are not even proven and the support of those sketchy.

To be practical the 250 should be minimal margins through the introduction and the 200cc is missing from the line, the 200cc does not have the R&D cost behind them and have higher potential margins.

Since the AUS $ is near the US $, then why not build on the higher margin bikes like this one. Then why limit your line to dirt?

The 250 DOHC wholesales for $2,350.00 plus freight, that looks like about $1,500.00 profit? Are there other fees? Something in Australia that makes it cost more?

The 200cc bike like this one. That wholesales for $870.00 it could be sold for $2,000.00?
    It would not sell in the USA for that though not even $1,800.00 unless that included shipping.

The water cooled 250 sells for $2,750.00 in the USA and not that well. Why is it $1,000.00 more in Australia? Not the same bike but the same design basically, pitsterpro sells a 250cc water cooled its basically the same bike. Are they getting them for less then $2,350.00...they must be.

What’s the price out of the port on those? If I would say I want disclosure then I actually want it all disclosed, I respect that the distributor has to make money…but without knowing the bottom lines it all makes people wonder?

The problem is these getting imported and sold direct, people can sometimes buy these for the price a dealer should be paying. That is the cut throat part, then the less the distributor does...the less it costs them to operate, the customer get basically a delivery nothing else.

If I bought a 200cc from shineray and it held up, then I would talk it up and others would hear that and maybe buy them a very good bike for very good price. Then maybe others would pay more to get the 250 version?

But then there is the street bikes and they are not as costly as the water-cooled either.

That one has a wholesale price of $1,180.00.…I think you can tack on $1,000.00 to the bikes costs and that’s it….if you cannot operate on that as a margin you have to leave the market….many have or sell more units. Half as much profit twice as many sales?

I would think that the two 200cc bikes would sell well, the motard for $1,750.00 and the street bike for $2,200.00 then dealer discounts should be what $500.00? That’s about it your never going to get anywhere unless you have the lowest prices.

Do distributors add more then $500.00 to each unit in value? The low volumes is what it is...lots and lots of people doing a few....whoever can get to be the biggest would do better it is a matter of economy of scale.
    Last edited by MJH; 10-04-2010 at 05:00 AM.

4. #14 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    This is the bike it only $870.00 wholesale.

The bike has a 163fml engine a 200cc SOHC air cooled engine that has parts and documentation readily available. .

Then this one has a 232cc engine 169YMM-A wholesale price $1,580.00

Naked version of that street bike $1,220.00

A 200cc version of it $1,180.00 and it comes with the same 163FML SOHC as the dual sport.

Video of 250R version....

5. #15 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    It’s interesting how the use of pop music can affect a persons desire for a product or not?

They are asking $3,660.00 for that bike in Argentina!

The Argentinean seem to think it vibrates too much on the high end and it has a hollow look to the fairing….ya think? It has nothing really inside the fairing.

But $3,360.00 American oh no that’s too much….. It also has no need for fairing its no race bike, it also does not need the swept down handlebars its a poser. Wonder why it vibrates too much it supposed to have a balance shaft.

Naked version with an upright riding position you would think is more appropriate? I thought only American like cheese that much?

It’s sad that’s a decent commuter bike…or it could be, but they add some fairing and then cheese it up…falling under your spell and can’t slow down? Ironic does not go that fast?

No cheese and for less then $2,500.00 maybe?

6. #16 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    Thanks for that MJH, that 250R naked looks good but on the website it doesn't show with EEC tag, I will look into it and the pricing in Australia further.

That machine seems to be taking a 100kg rider OK in the (Swiss/German?) video ... it should last on a run with a fair load then!

7. #17 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    It has EEC on the Shineray site.
    http://www.shineray-atv.com/dir.asp

But it also does not say EPA and they are?

But keep in mind some may be and some may not be, some models may be and some may not and they are notorious for shipping the wrong models and then saying ooops.

8. #18 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    You can buy only one but the price is much higher,

Price FOB china is $1,220.00 plus a single unit order surcharge of $610.00

$1,830.00 FOB Shanghais or Ningbo.

Then you incur freight and whatever charges at the port. I am fairly confident I could get one delivered to me for under $2,500.00.

9. #19 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    Yes, I would now consider that myself because of the very large markups. Where are you based?

The dealers would get at least 10 at a time so get at base price.

The EPA is Environmental Protection Authority

The Shineray site has the 'sports' 250 shown as 250A EEC
    and the 'naked' as plain 250 without EEC but as you say, they probably have all variations available.

- for import into Aus. they would have some sort of approval and also probably what is called LAMS or 'Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme' in some models - similar to the Daelim Roadwind also available here at 249cc and also overpriced at nearly $5000.

One problem in Aus. is we sometimes get bikes from last year or before badged as 'latest model' or as current year which of course they are but only in Aus.!

Elsewhere there may be a later model/different engine size/improvement not yet approved or imported here. And the Chinese manufacturers can be a wee bit nefarious, they can slightly change specification, re-badge and break a so-called 'exclusive' deal so the dealer is no longer sole supplier/importer etc. etc. etc.

Trouble is, word of mouth lumps them all together and when the dealer is paranoid or not completely upfront they lose any credibility.

Maybe our dealer (original poster) will let us know some answers to these points, especially on price - but then again maybe not ....

10. #20 Re: SHINERAY IN AUSTRALIA 
    It is a Daelim….evidently or it seems that Shineray is the OEM or they have the designs for some reason they are identical.

$5,000.00?

http://www.daelim.com.au/index.html

Korean designs made in china, that does not fit well with the $5,000.00 price.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast