Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    I recently imported a Galaxy XTR 250F direct from Galaxy in China. It arrived about a week ago and so here's a quick review.

It was packed very well from the factory, everything was well wrapped and protected. It wasn't much of a job to assemble it.

The overall fit and finish of the bike is very good, nearly up there with Japanese quality. There are a lot of CNC parts, and the swing arm is very nicely welded. Electrics seem quite good, everything worked ! and I the level of features was impressive, such as a hazard warning switch for the indicators, and a high beam "pass" switch. The fasteners are quite poor quality, but these can be easily replaced with stainless.

The most impressive thing about the bike is the styling, my brother came round to see the bike, and just couldn't believe how nice the bike looked ! It certainly looks worth more than what I paid for it.

The brakes are very good and it rides very nicely, it lacks a bit of power, however I haven't given it a good thraping yet, as I'm still running it in. I'm hoping it will loosen up a bit in time and have a bit more umph !

There were a few problems with the bike, such as the front axle being too small (I got a replacement made at work), and the headlight fixing straps being totally unuseable, but apart from that it is was all ok.

The whole import process was pretty pain free.Communication with the factory was generally ok, but email replies took quite a long time, and the build time for the bike was 3 months ! To be honest, I took a massive gamble handing over the money for the bike, without any guarantee that I'd actually receive the bike, but fairplay to Galaxy, they delivered the bike and made sure it all went well. I had a very good shipping agent to take care of the shipping and customs clearance, and I got a very reliable courier to pick the bike up from the bonded warehouse and deliver it to my door. Registering the bike was a doddle as the bike had an EEC certificate, so didn't need inspecting, I just filled out a couple of forms and sent them off with my insurance certificate, driving licence, registration and road licence fee, and customs clearance form.

Right here's the pictures
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 

3. #3 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Great looking bike and an adventure in itself just getting to your door!
    How does it compare to the SMC available in the UK specs wise?

The header looks like stainless steel (which hopefully won't rust immediately)... is that right?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #4 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    Great looking bike and an adventure in itself just getting to your door!
    How does it compare to the SMC available in the UK specs wise?

The header looks like stainless steel (which hopefully won't rust immediately)... is that right?

CC
    Hi Carl,

the differences to the SMC are the round disc brakes, instead of the wavy on the SMC, and mine has fuel injection, which Galaxy said it needed to get the EEC certificate....however the SMC has a carb ?????

It is a stainless pipe......it seems strange that they don't skimp on stuff like that and CNC parts, but they skimp on stuff like putting cheap fasteners on !!

Cheers

Andy

5. #5 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Nice bike Andy. I see the headlight is a bit off but the straps you'll be getting will fix that. You speak the truth about the fasteners. Many talk about how "cheap" Chinese motos are when it's really a matter of the parts falling off because of the sub-standard fasteners. A little bit of thread locking compound and some spring washers would go a long way in raising people's opinion of the quality of the bikes. No one complains about the motors as they are pretty much bulletproof.

6. #6 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Thanks for the report Andy, I look forward to more of your Galaxy adventures. If you get a chance, please provide some close up picks of the EFI system. I haven't seen one and I'm curious how they fit that on the bike.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Congrats on the new bike Andy. Been following your import updates with interest as a fellow china moto owner here in the UK.

Get some ACF-50 to keep the corrosion at bay - my RMR gets more rusty after every ride!!

You got any plans for it? Supermoto wheels & tyres (the bike really suits them looking at Felix's pics in his review) Here's to many happy miles matey!

cheers

Ian

8. #8 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ianl1201 View Post
    Congrats on the new bike Andy. Been following your import updates with interest as a fellow china moto owner here in the UK.

Get some ACF-50 to keep the corrosion at bay - my RMR gets more rusty after every ride!!

You got any plans for it? Supermoto wheels & tyres (the bike really suits them looking at Felix's pics in his review) Here's to many happy miles matey!

cheers

Ian

Hi ian,

Thanks....don't worry I've already given it the ACF-50 treatment to try and beat the salted UK roads. I took the wheels off and removed the brake discs, then sprayed some ACF-50 into the aerosol lid, took a small artists paint brush and painted every spoke and spoke nipple. I then took off the seat, fuel tank and all the plastics and gave everything a good spray. Next I took the paint brush again and coated every screw and nut head. So hepefully that should protect it from the dreaded UK corrosion.

No plans to put supermoto wheels on it, I'm just going to use if for green laning and the occassional Enduro.

Cheers

Andy

9. #9 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Since I am in close contact with the maker, please allow me to give my perspective. It is not the motorcycle manufacturer that wish to use cheap sub standard fasteners. They just can't get good quality ones. Specifically, the case with Galaxy, they have tried to contact many fastener suppliers in China and can't get the quality they wish. Galaxy is a very small factory and can't make everything themselves. Therefore you can see big quality differences on one bike. One thing you need to change is the drive chain. Get a good quality O ring chain will save you many trouble.

10. #10 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hi Guys,

A quick update on the XTR.

Since day one the XTR hasn't run too great. It coughs and splutters on intial throttle opening. This is not good on a dirt bike, as it needs instant responce offroad when the throttle is opened.

I took it offroad a couple of weeks ago, with a very experienced mate who rides a KTM 250EXC. Initially he was quite impressed with the XTR, but after about an hour, it started cutting out and stalling, and he changed his mind a bit . Things got worse, and it wouldn't run at all. I left it five minutes, and managed to get it started again, and it just managed to limp the 5 miles home.

An email was sent to Galaxy, about the poor running. They said that dirt could have got in the fuel injector, and advised me to strip the EFI sytem down and clean it by blasting compressed air through the fuel lines and injector.

I did this and reassembled everything......the bike wouldn't start at all then. I suspected an air lock in the fuel sysytem that would need bleeding, which Galaxy agreed with. I removed the fuel lines sytematically, and found the airlock in the fuel pump. A quick suck on the pipe cleared it, and when I turned the ignition on, it started pumping fuel freely.

The running was still the same at low revs....lots of coughing and spluttering, but it ran really smoothly in the mid to higher rev range. Another email was sent to Galaxy, who suggested checking all the electrical connectors. I've done this, and they are all connected correctly.

Not sure of my next options really, I'm going to try a new spark plug next and I'm waiting for a reply from Galaxy about wether the fuel injector has been thoroughly cleaned enough.

To be fair to Galaxy, they have been really helpfull, a guy called John is helping me out. He usually sends a reply within a day, and is very keen to help as he says it is helping to develop the EFI which is a very new product for them. I'm really glad they haven't left me high and dry.

Have you guys got any suggestions ? I'll post some pics tomorrow of the EFI system to see if it helps.

A couple more problems with the bike are a broken rear brake pedal which bent when I fell off the bike, then snapped when I was bending it back straight. Then the actuator that connects from the rear brake pedal into the brake cylinder, vibrated loose and fell off whilst riding. And lastly the handlebar throttle/switchgear assembly rotates on the handlebar even when fully tightened. I've contacted Galaxy about sending me replacement parts, now SMC have gone bust in the UK....so let's see if Galaxy comes up with the spares.

The poor running problem is a real shame, as I know the XTR will be a cracking little bike once it's sorted.

By the way....a massive thanks to China V who shipped me his CNC rear brake pedal, when I contacted him to ask if he'd help get me one from Galaxy......absolutely Top Bloke

Also a big thanks to Franki who has also contacted Galaxy on my behalf a few times....another Top Bloke

Cheers

Andy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast