Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    AH ha! The saga continues!

Suggestions?

1) Check the battery. May sound stupid but it's easy and won't kill you to find out how it's working when hot and under load.

2) Any way to check their mapping?

3) Ask them to send you a carb conversion kit and airbox (if needed). EFI can be extremely tricky to sort out and you may spend countless hours and pounds helping them sort their EFI. Would be nice to at least have a fuel system that works.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

2. #12 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    AH ha! The saga continues!

Suggestions?

1) Check the battery. May sound stupid but it's easy and won't kill you to find out how it's working when hot and under load.

2) Any way to check their mapping?

3) Ask them to send you a carb conversion kit and airbox (if needed). EFI can be extremely tricky to sort out and you may spend countless hours and pounds helping them sort their EFI. Would be nice to at least have a fuel system that works.

CC

Carl,

I'm just dissapointed in my XTR ,I've got a brand new bike sat in my garage that is virtually useless....I open the garage door, turn on the light and see a beautiful looking brand new little enduro bike, that runs like a a bag of spanners

And things have just gotten worse with the collapse of SMC in the UK, I've sent an email to Galaxy asking what the situation is with supply of spare parts to the UK.....and no reply for a week !

I knew importing my new bike would not be plain sailing, I expected problems with shipping, customs, and registering the bike, but the last thing I expected was that the thing wouldn't run !!

With regard to the poor running, I've removed the Fuel Injector again, and found that the 'O' ring seal into the throttle body was damaged. I've sent an email to Galaxy with a photo showing the damaged 'O' ring and informed them that I suspect the Injector is faulty and asked for a replacement. I don't hold out much chance of receiving one, as I still haven't had a reply from them regarding the brake rod connector and the throttle/switchgear assembly problems

Carl, battery is top notch, as I keep it on an Optimate battery conditioner/charger.

Mapping....if they send out a new Injector and it still runs the same, then mapping would be the next thing to look at......but I haven't found a diagnostic socket on the bike where you could plug a computer into. Then there's the whole issue of software for changing the mapping.

Carb conversion kit.....they've at least replied to this point and informed me that it's a massive change, that would involve a new magneto, new CDI, new carb, and new wiring loom !!

I'm at the end of my tether now !

Andy

3. #13 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hird View Post
    Carl,

Carb conversion kit.....they've at least replied to this point and informed me that it's a massive change, that would involve a new magneto, new CDI, new carb, and new wiring loom !!

Andy
    Do you feel that changing those mentioned items is a massive undertaking? For some people, that would be an enjoyable two beer project on a Saturday afternoon. If you think it's the way to go, let me know, and I will arrange the stuff when I go to Galaxy next week. I have purchased a ton of moto parts over the years here in China, and the parts you mentioned are not that expensive. I think the issue might be a financial one at the factory, and if you're willing to share in the cost of changing it over, you may find yourself riding that sweet machine in no time. I know you're a bit depressed about the bike, but trust me, it is a fun little dirt bike when it's running well.

Although it sounds bad having to shell out more money on a brand new machine, sometimes it's the fastest route to getting things done and further peace of mind.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

4. #14 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    I agree with ChinaV, apart from the feeling of being let down, which always hurts and I am usually first to complain( I like a good grumble on a bad day), these chinabikes are still good value and can be great fun. Just taking mine out when I have the courage and my back is OK always cheers me up. I needed three batteries before I got a decent one, have had all sorts of bits fall off and bolts missing and I am sure something else will show up sometime!
    Take the offer of help and get some bits sent out to you, it is so good how people help on this forum.
    Its not your fault they have got business problems, but after all keep it in perspective we aren't usually hungry or being shot at as so many in the world are - I am not being patronising mate but just saying stick it out, bite the bullet and you will have the extra satisfaction of sorting it out for yourself and then you can go ride! See if you can find a mate willing to take the risk you did and share the learning curve and skinned knuckles. Else just sell it cheap and save up for a jap bike ?

5. #15 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for the positive reply guys

You're right, I shouldn't let it get me down, like you say, it's nothing at all compared to what's happeneing to folks in other parts.

Thanks for the offer of help China V, I think it might be worth waiting to see if there is a reply from John at Galaxy in the next day or to on the new Injector, before I decide whether to change over to the carb.

I'd be happy to share the cost of changing it over with Galaxy, but I'd prefer the easier option of keeping the EFI, as long as Galaxy are confident that the EFI can be sorted to run properly ??? If they suggest the carb conversion, then I'll gratefully accept your offer of sourcing the parts, thanks China V

I'll keep you informed Guys, and thanks again.

Cheers

Andy

6. #16 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Just a quick update.

Haven't been able to get time to re-assemble the EFI fule system yet as I've been busy with Family stuff, and getting my BMW on the road for summer.

Galaxy came back to me regarding the faulty throttle/switchgear assembly and missing brake master cylinder push rod.

Firstly Galaxy said that it's not a problem that the throttle/switchgear assy rotates . I have to disagree there......it's bloody dangerous !! There is no clamping force at all on to the handlebars....the whole assembly can be pulled completely off the handlebar with no effort. The only thing holding it in place is the throttle cable and electric cables.......so no joy there with a replacement part, I'll have to fix or bodge it so it clamps on.

Secondly the master cylinder push rod...Galaxy said it would be too expensive to send out and suggested I source one in the UK. The thing wheighs only a few grams and would fit in a the smallest available jiffy envelope. So no joy there either. I'm trying to find if any SMC dealers have any left in stock, or if one off another bike will fit.

God knows what I'm going to do, when I need any more important/large parts in the future I think my XTR will eventually turn into a Mongrel hybrid...........or a White Elephant

The comedy continues !

Cheers

Andy

7. #17 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Haven't been able to get time to re-assemble the EFI fule system yet as I've been busy with Family stuff, and getting my BMW on the road for summer.

Cheers

Andy
    Oh forgot that GS Bob Marley and the Wailers. If I were you I would keep the XTR as something I could point at and laugh each morning before starting the BMW

8. #18 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Jeees an exact copy of my Orion AGB 30F. One wonders how many are marketed under different names. Price wise, mine went for around 1,800 U.S
    Attached Images

9. #19 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Secondly the master cylinder push rod...Galaxy said it would be too expensive to send out and suggested I source one in the UK. The thing wheighs only a few grams and would fit in a the smallest available jiffy envelope. So no joy there either. I'm trying to find if any SMC dealers have any left in stock, or if one off another bike will fit.
    If this is what you need, I can drop it in the mail.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

10. #20 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    If this is what you need, I can drop it in the mail.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Hi China V,

Cheers Mate

Yes that's the bit I need, but I also need the spherical bearing bit that attaches to it, and bolts onto the brake pedal. Don't suppose you have that bit aswell do you ?

By the way, did you see my post about the handlebar risers on your XTR thread ? Give me a shout if you need me to get some for you.

Cheers

Andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast