Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Hi Andy,

I don't have the bottom part, but will get it from Galaxy. I did see you comment on the risers (thanks) but I'm waiting for the pictures

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #22 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks Mate Much appreciated.

Sorry about the delay in getting a photo over to you. Here's a picture without the bar risers fitted. Check wether it's the same handlebar/clamping arrangement as on yours.13032010179.jpg

I don't seem to be able to load pictures from photobucket, so the detail isn't very good. if you pm me your email address, I'll send you the full size picture

Cheers

Andy

3. #23 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    When I get home this evening, I'll take a close up picture showing the bar risers........it will be the first job I do when I get home....promise !

Cheers

Andy

4. #24 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Fellas, The latest thrilling instalment

I re-assembled the EFI system tonight and tried John at Galaxy's suggestions on improving the running.

He suggested alter the idle screw, either increasing or decreasing it, which I did..........no improvement on the running.

He also suggested fine tuning the throttle valve opening sensor, which I did.........no improvement on the running.

I also put in a new spark plug.......no improvement on the running. One thing to note was that the old plug was covered inblack soot.

I've sent him an email to ask what he suggests next ? So I'll keep you all informed of what the next step is.

Incidentally, I notice over on the China riders forum, that Galaxy are selling direct to the USA now. A guy has been in contact with John from Galaxy, who said that the EFI is still in development. It looks like I'm the Guinea Pig, who's helping develop it ! I sincerely hope Galaxy support me with it and we can get it sorted.

Cheers

Andy

5. #25 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hird View Post
    It looks like I'm the Guinea Pig, who's helping develop it !
    Hey, someone had to be it!! I do think that if I was to take the plunge on one of these, I would get the carb version, although if I remember, I don't think they gave you that option as it might have to do with the EU emissions laws. I wonder if you could find another engine for it from an old Chinese bike that has rusted away, but the engine is still good, or one of the SMC bikes' engines sold at liquidation, so you could at least ride the bike?! The bike looks high quality, and probably is, taking the Chinese part of it into equation, but the EFI issues are something that you could have done without!!

6. #26 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hird View Post
    Fellas, The latest thrilling instalment

I re-assembled the EFI system tonight and tried John at Galaxy's suggestions on improving the running.

He suggested alter the idle screw, either increasing or decreasing it, which I did..........no improvement on the running.

He also suggested fine tuning the throttle valve opening sensor, which I did.........no improvement on the running.

I also put in a new spark plug.......no improvement on the running. One thing to note was that the old plug was covered inblack soot.

I've sent him an email to ask what he suggests next ? So I'll keep you all informed of what the next step is.

Incidentally, I notice over on the China riders forum, that Galaxy are selling direct to the USA now. A guy has been in contact with John from Galaxy, who said that the EFI is still in development. It looks like I'm the Guinea Pig, who's helping develop it ! I sincerely hope Galaxy support me with it and we can get it sorted.

Cheers

Andy
    The motor is getting too much gasoline? How do you by the way fine tune throttle valve opening sensor? And what it is exactly? A sensor measuring how much you turn right hand grip? Or the sensor measuring how much air the engine is getting? Was it so that the bike was running well in the beginning? Could you supply us with a sound sample of the engine revving?

Freaky stuff no matter. According to Finnish laws I could cancel the deal I made of XTR and get the pre-ordering fee I paid completely back. Three or more months without delivery rule. It seems that if I were a wise man I would do it now at once and go buy an used DR from Germany with the money. Aaaargghhh... really wanted to get a china bike, but an EFI mess and the Long Wait, no thanks.... Estimated delivery midsummer -.- promised delivery on March -.- They could not keep the deal, why should I? Freaks me big time, if I don't cancel it it seems I will bash my head hard on the piece of junk and keep freaking walking instead of driving DR.... Really hate situations where there is only two choises which both suck. Think I am gonna anyway just suffer through it and get that 121kg of scrap metal, and make a website "united china bike haters", instead of driving DR or airhead GS, so very moronic from me.

7. #27 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    One more thing, sorry for not cheering and keeping the spirit high, I just find it hard to do when life sucks:

Anyway you can count on me mate I would offer you a good pint or two of fine English real ale in the pub if I were there

8. #28 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    How do you by the way fine tune throttle valve opening sensor? And what it is exactly? A sensor measuring how much you turn right hand grip? Or the sensor measuring how much air the engine is getting? Was it so that the bike was running well in the beginning? Could you supply us with a sound sample of the engine revving?
    Hi Moilami,

The throttle sensor tells the ECU the position of the throttle butterfly valve....or like you said, how far the right hand grip is turned. It cam be rotationally adjusted by about plus or minus 4 degrees.

Moilami the bike has had the problem from day one. When you open the throttle the bike hesitates or "bogs". It then clears and revs fine as the throttle is opened through mid to high revs. But the initial hesitation is a massive problem on a dirt bike, as that instant throttle hit is absolutely necessary for offroad riding.

If someone can tell me how to attach a sound clip or video clip to a post then I'd be glad to show the poor running problem.

Mate, I can't really offer you advice on whether you should cancel your order, but if it was me, knowing what I know now........I personally wouldn't buy one. I'd save a bit more money and buy a good used Honda XR250. If on the other hand the XTR could be ordered with a curburettor, I would have no hesitation on ordering one, as apart from the EFI problems, they are a cracking little bike for the money

I'm not sure what success Galaxy are having with current production of EFI bikes, or if they are confident that they can produce a bike with EFI that functions as well as a normal carburettor bike.......??

The question I really have, and it's one that Galaxy have never answered, after asking them twice, is why were the SMC bikes imported to the UK with carburetors and they managed to have European Certificate of Conformity, and pass emissions and registering laws ???

Due to the SMC's being imported to the UK with carbs, I naturally assumed when I placed my order that mine would be coming with a carb. The first I knew about the EFI was when China V visited the factory and informed me that my bike would have EFI........The first thing I thought was "Oh No !" and I was proved right.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Andy

9. #29 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Ok the problem could be that the engine gets too much fuel or too little air in the low revs. Supposedly it gets too much fuel, it is something to start with solving the problem at least. As far as I know the only proper way to solve it is to hack the ECU, which can be very interesting though hard to do and definetly something the manufacturer should had done right in first place :) If we suppose the emission regulations caused Galaxy to program the ECU wrong in the first place is the reason for the problem, then it should be so that Galaxy should have proper ECUs for other market areas not bothered with emissions. But in reality it can be also so that they haven't bothered to do it right for other areas and will just use the same crappy ECU designed to pass emission regulations, which would be fail big time for all EFI versions. Thus at some point they could program a proper ECU OR abandon the project alltogether. In the former case it would be just a matter of time to get a good ECU and problem solved.

I don't think adjusting the throttle valve sensor could help anything since it should mainly only help you get the bike be at right idle when throttle grip is not turned?

I personally like EFI because it can in theory feed the motor better than a carburator. Optimizing stuff rules :) EFI is good stuff!

There are also some interesting threads regarding KLX 250 EFI issues:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Klx250...3#entry2753863
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...50-2009-efi/60

Those misled me to chose XTR instead of KLX, but here we still go... xD

Anyway I am also almost an engineer, I am just missing my diploma work... but to squash two flies on the wall with one good slap, now I am eager to get XTR and fix the EFI and write my diploma work of it xD Yeah, a fantasy, but a good fantasy nonetheless :) In reality I just buy the bike and study and mess with it.

P.S. I really am totally clueless regarding EFIs and repairing motorbikes, something of which I am not at all proud of, so you can as well ignore everything I wrote since I relly don't have a clue. I am just eager to try learn stuff and get things fixed.

You could put a video of your XTR revving to Youtube and embed it in these forums, just ask if you need help in how to do it.
    Last edited by moilami; 04-30-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added a disclosure.

10. #30 Re: Galaxy XTR 250 Review 
    Andy, I know this will show my mechanical ignorance, but is it too difficult to shed the fuel injection and replace with a carb? Could Galaxy just send you the carb parts? I joined the list on Chinariders for one of the XTRs or SUVs; whichever one it is, it is $1200USD, shipped, provided he can convince 25 of us to join him, to The port of Long Beach which is in the L.A. area. Since my family all live in L.A., I figure I could pick up the bike on one of the trips we take to visit them, or pay some extra money to have it shipped to Arizona.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast