Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 KINLON SM200 CARB MOD 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Well, I decided I'd had enough of the Kinlon's unreliable and unstable running at idle and low speed. From a seat of the pants feeling it really felt as though the stock CV carb was jetted very lean right across the rev range. After some web research I bit the bullet and bought an 'OKO' flatslide carb. Main differences are the OEM is a 28mm, and the flatslide is 26mm but it still fitted the original rubber inlet OK, just meant tightening the clamp a little further.

Biggest issue was the throttle cable, the OEM one was different completely and the supplied one that came with the carb kit fitted the throttle tube end OK[screwed straight in]but the inner cable was too long overall once fitted to the carb. The only way I could get it to work satisfactorily was by clamping the cable outer to the frame's spine where it runs under the fuel tank. I put two stainless steel hose clamps around and tightened them up after the cable was in the right spot. That left about 50mm of exposed inner cable at the carb end, so I just put a clutch cable adjuster over it and pushed it over the tube that came out of the carb top. Because the carb top outlet is angled to almost the same angle as the cable where it's clamped to the frame tube there is no chance of the cable getting snagged anywhere. I'll just keep it lubricated with some WD-40.

I replaced the fuel lines with some clear reinforced tube and fitted an in-line filter. At initial start-up the engine fired instantly even without choke from cold, there was no way it would ever start cold without choke before so that was a good sign I ended up getting a smooth idle with the pilot screw at about one and a quarter turns out. A free flow foam filter was also supplied with the kit, but so far I've retained the OEM airbox as it fitted up to the flatslide carb with a bit of fiddling

I packed some tools[just in case]and went for a ride! Even though the engine has only done 700km and is probably still a little tight the difference was immediately noticableespecially the transition from idle speed or slow running onto an opening throttle. Because the engine is still new I didn't run it hard through the gears but from what I did do it feels like the top end is better too. Mostly though, it's the first 2/3rds of throttle where I noticed the most difference. Tootling around in first gear, like when offroad the motor feels much stronger and pick-up from low revs is instant and clean. I'll post some pics soon. All in all, AUD$130 well spent
    Cheers Will.
    2007 Kinlon SM200
    2007 Yamaha TDM900

2. #2 Re: KINLON SM200 CARB MOD 
    GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS! Glad to hear it's sorted.

You gonna take a look and the innerds of the old carb to see what's up? I wonder if you just got a bad carb?

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

3. #3 Re: KINLON SM200 CARB MOD 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
    GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS! Glad to hear it's sorted.

You gonna take a look and the innerds of the old carb to see what's up? I wonder if you just got a bad carb?

CC
    Yeah, I think I'll dismantle it to see how it works.......or doesn't! Maybe I have a 'Monday Bike?'
    Cheers Will.
    2007 Kinlon SM200
    2007 Yamaha TDM900

4. #4 Re: KINLON SM200 CARB MOD 
    Monday, Monday... can't trust that day.
    Monday, Monday.... sometimes it just turns out that way...
    OOOhhh Monday, Monday (dah dah, dah dah dah dah...)

CC

---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

5. #5 Re: KINLON SM200 CARB MOD 
    C-Moto Regular
    On the original carb did you get in there and move the jet needle up a notch? The CV carb on my Hensim was super lean from the factory. Moving the needle up a notch made a huge difference.

Q

6. #6 Re: KINLON SM200 CARB MOD 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
    On the original carb did you get in there and move the jet needle up a notch? The CV carb on my Hensim was super lean from the factory. Moving the needle up a notch made a huge difference.

Q
    Yeah, I had a look yesterday and it was lean. Trouble with the CV carbs though is the pilot jet affects over half of the throttle opening and oesn have that īsnapī offf the bottom that the flatslides offer. Iīll keep the CV as a spare though.............................Cheers!
    Cheers Will.
    2007 Kinlon SM200
    2007 Yamaha TDM900

7. #7 Re: KINLON SM200 CARB MOD 
    Hey meestah, pleeze give me the details of that carby, I might just follow you on that once I have fitted the new back sprocket on my RT GY200. Glad someone is clever and adventuresome enough to lead the way on these things.

8. #8 Re: KINLON SM200 CARB MOD 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    No problems http://www.dhz.com.au/div_product_in...863906c01287e4

If that doesn't work go to dhz.com.au and follow the links to the carbs. The one I bought was $120 inc shipping in OZ. They have others as well though.
    I'm not affiliated in any way but their service was top notch.
    Cheers.
    Cheers Will.
    2007 Kinlon SM200
    2007 Yamaha TDM900