Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Kick starts ?

1. #1 Kick starts ? 
    I just spotted a Suzuki DR125 clutch cover on fleabay and noticed how very similar it is in appearance to my Suzuki based motor clutch casing, with one difference, the difference being the DR125 cover has a blanked off hole with writing next to it saying Kick Start, just where the oil level window is on my motor, the oil level window on the DR 125 is slightly lower. (Nope, I think the oil level window is in the same place as my Pulse motor, which makes the possibility of retrofitting a kick start more interesting)

I was wondering on seeing this cover and noting it's similarities, if a kick start assembly can be fitted to my bike using Suzuki parts so in fact I would have two methods of starting the thing, electric and manual.

Any ideas ?

I must say though, as a belt and braces kind of person, I kind of like multiple starting methods, that Shineray thing in camoflage that is reviewed on here, I do like, two cdi's and a kick start, unstoppable.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

2. #2 Re: Kick starts ? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    I just spotted a Suzuki DR125 clutch cover on fleabay and noticed how very similar it is in appearance to my Suzuki based motor clutch casing, with one difference, the difference being the DR125 cover has a blanked off hole with writing next to it saying Kick Start, just where the oil level window is on my motor, the oil level window on the DR 125 is slightly lower. (Nope, I think the oil level window is in the same place as my Pulse motor, which makes the possibility of retrofitting a kick start more interesting)

I was wondering on seeing this cover and noting it's similarities, if a kick start assembly can be fitted to my bike using Suzuki parts so in fact I would have two methods of starting the thing, electric and manual.

Any ideas ?

I must say though, as a belt and braces kind of person, I kind of like multiple starting methods, that Shineray thing in camoflage that is reviewed on here, I do like, two cdi's and a kick start, unstoppable.
    if the elctric start fails, just "bump-start" it

3. #3 Re: Kick starts ? 
    Had to bump start my bikes in China more than a few times.... keeps you thin!

Sprocket, the QLinks here in the US were spec'd with a kick start so it must be possible. I think the same topic was brought up on MCM quite some time ago but I forgot how it was left off. In theory it should be possible as long as you get the correct case cover and whatever internals are needed to connect the lever to the crank. Lacking anyone with direct experience, there's only one way to find out!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

4. #4 Re: Kick starts ? 
    It's been a long time since I explored this, but from what I remember, there's a gear on the back side of the clutch and some other internal parts you will need. Possible, yes, but a bit expensive.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Kick starts ? 
    Thanks, I am going to look out for a knackered engine with the kickstart grab the bits I need, and replace what is worn. According to my Haynes manual 0888, which covers the GS,GN,GZ and DR125 from '82 to '99, there is not a lot to go in there. Used DR125 and GS125 kiskstart equipped covers seem to be around and can be got quite cheaply.
    '07 Pioneer Pulse Adrenaline 125, ( XF 125 GY ) Suzuki clone ; K157 FMI engine

6. #6 Re: Kick starts ? 
    Would be sweet if you can make the conversion successfully. Nice avatar pic BTW!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com