Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: gps trackers

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Re: gps trackers 
    There's an "M" Version for motorcycles with a G-Sensor. Looks like the factory is here in Shenzhen.

Maybe need to go have a look and ask about supplemental power. Any good bike thief will sever the battery cables immediately, so need to have some kind of alternative power supply that will last 24 hours. Shouldn't require much more than a good strong cell phone battery.

Edit: Posted at the same time as you LJH... FWIW, I have an alarm system on my V-Strom and it can go about a year without killing the battery.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

2. #42 Re: gps trackers 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    The device is tied to a website then? Looked to me as if it is able to send a txt with coordinates, which would be enough to use GoogleMaps or GEarth to locate. The software on the device mat be in Chinese but still would send understandable GPS co-ordinates I imagine. We need a techy in China to seek this out ... SLABOOOOOOOOOOOOOO where are you?
    Not tied to a website. You send it an sms with the text "001" and it sends you back gps coordinates. Then you can use google maps or your a good old fashion paper street map and a calculator.
    I just guess, not sure, but that's how other similar products work.
    From the taboa link ...

3. #43 Re: gps trackers 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    There's an "M" Version for motorcycles with a G-Sensor. Looks like the factory is here in Shenzhen.

Maybe need to go have a look and ask about supplemental power. Any good bike thief will sever the battery cables immediately, so need to have some kind of alternative power supply that will last 24 hours. Shouldn't require much more than a good strong cell phone battery.

Edit: Posted at the same time as you LJH... FWIW, I have an alarm system on my V-Strom and it can go about a year without killing the battery.

Cheers!
    ChinaV
    Wow, that's great that you found the manufacturer, and in English!

What is a G-sensor? Is that an automatic activation if the bike is moved, like an alarm system? That would be perfect. Ideally, the unit would send an sms to my personal mobile if it is moved, and then allow me to track it online.

I was going to purchase the other model, with the back-up battery, to experiment with in another bike, but perhaps if there is enough interest, we could probably work out some volume discount via the factory? I'd probably be in for 5 units (4 additional valuable bikes and my car).

4. #44 Re: gps trackers 
    Of course, sophisticated thieves will have a $20 GPS/mobile frequency multiband jammer on their person. Don't get carried away, they are very easily blocked with portable, cheap jammer units. They are just part of the security toolkit you need.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

5. #45 Re: gps trackers 
    Of course, sophisticated thieves will have a $20 GPS/mobile frequency multiband jammer on their person. Don't get carried away, they are very easily blocked with portable, cheap jammer units. They are just part of the security toolkit you need.
    True - it would be tough to beat the pros. The Jialing dealer in town has an effective method - the biggest, meanest, growliest Tibetan Mastiff I`ve ever seen. I doubt a fresh steak would satisfy/distract it - you'd probably need to toss it a whole cow.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment building with an underground parking lot that is shared with a shopping mall (non-resident vehicles, like vans, coming and going all the time). My bikes are chained, etc, but I think the risk is still high. I'd just like to find out where the bike is, after its gone.

Actually, my e-scooter was swiped the other day, even though it is almost worthless (old, beat up & never washed) and I had the battery inside my apartment. So much for the dozens of security people that shuffle around.

6. #46 Re: gps trackers 
    Sorry to hear of the theft, it is not a good feeling even if it is an old banger. I intend to get one of these devices myself, but I am just making sure people realise they are easy to circumvent.

Maybe an explosive device under the seat that goes off if a code is not punched in within 60 seconds? On second thoughts I can imagine the frozen fingers fumbling to take off gloves, remember aunty flo's birthday minus seven, or was it seventeen? Maybe a sticker in Chinese saying there is such a device? When I was living in London I had a sticker I made up purporting to be from a made-up security company, saying the premises were alarmed. Worked fine, although some places were 'alarmed' nearby and wires were cut and they got robbed, mine never was because they couldn't find the non-existent alarm wires maybe! And maybe a real or pretend CCTV overlooking where you park the bikes with a flashing red light on it and a sign saying under constant surveillance by armed guards would be a deterrent?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

7. #47 Re: gps trackers 
    Sorry to hear of the theft, it is not a good feeling even if it is an old banger.
    Thanks - but it was my own fault, as I never locked it (probably subconsciously hoping someone would take it, and after a few years, someone did). The upside is that now I get to look for something shiny & new!

And maybe a real or pretend CCTV overlooking where you park the bikes with a flashing red light on it and a sign saying under constant surveillance by armed guards would be a deterrent?
    Actually, my bike spot is in direct view of an obvious CCTV. However, one time when I was paying my parking fees, there at the security desk with the CCTV screens, was a cute little girl having her mid-day nap (TIC). My new plan is to use the GPS tracker to find my stolen bike, then have the cute little girl distract the thieves, while I zoom away. She's on her own.

8. #48 Re: gps trackers 
    What's about a high quality solution?

GARMIN GTU 10

9. #49 Re: gps trackers 
    The 'coverage' map supplied with that device only shows patchy and quite limited coverage in USA, do you know otherwise?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

10. #50 Re: gps trackers 
    The 'coverage' map supplied with that device only shows patchy and quite limited coverage in USA, do you know otherwise?
    It works in Europe and USA - i will ask GARMIN about China/Asia (why not?)

EDIT: forget it! (sorry)
    Last edited by LC8; 04-02-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast