Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: gps trackers

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 gps trackers 
    Nate on this forumjust had his bike nicked and I am sure it has happened to others so I thought i would ask about simple GPS trackers and what anyone knows of them. Did a quick Google and found some, varying from $150 upwards, many made in China! Seems you can get them so you press a button or call them and they tell your mobile phone where they are but the cheaper ones only have a few days battery life and the dearer ones use a pay by the month service which is a bit much for me.

Anyone use them or have experience of them in other fields? Probably best if they work off the 12v system if needed but have a back up battery. I know some tell you when they leave a designated zone (ie get pinched from your yard) and that sounds like a good idea but is the higher end system so I reckon something that can sit in the 'bike and be activated by remote would be good enough, then you can home in on it?

2. #2 Re: gps trackers 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I always fantasize about find my stolen bike this way, always wondered what the thief would look like then. I am also looking for a GPS unit. But i think $150 is too much. I don't think it should cost that much.

3. #3 Re: gps trackers 
    C-Moto Guru
    Sorry to hear about the missing moto. I might also recommend an alarm system. I've put one into each of my bikes in China for about 280 RMB. The one I use comes with a remote starter and a two-way controller. If the alarm goes off and you're asleep in bed, the controller will buzz and beep. It's gone off a few times (always in the middle of the night) and I've managed to scare off the thief by yelling out the window. My buddy had his go off a couple of weeks ago and found that the ignition lock on his bike had been destroyed despite the fact that there were disc brake locks on the front and the rear (what were they going to do? Sit on the bike and idle the motor?).

4. #4 Re: gps trackers 
    An alarm system and locks is something I have thought of (I use cable locks already) and it all helps, but of course one always forgets or can't be bothered one day for just a few minutes at the shops ... it is enough trouble undoing helmet/jacket/gloves and gear just to pick up the bread and paper. These security tools and an immobiliser would all help against casual thieves as you have shown but serious thieves would go around with bolt cutters and/or a van to lift bikes into, or at least, I would! My household Insurance doesn't cover my bike and the motor vehicle Insurers want nearly as much yearly for the bike alone as it cost me (despite I live in a 'safer' area in the bush)! The household Insurance is progressively cheaper depending on the security devices I have fitted and the same should apply to 'bike Insurance I would assume.

The great thing about these GPS trackers if they do as suggested is that you could recover the bike or even put the cops onto the thieves' hideout/chop-shop. Probably just some wankers' back shed in most cases.

It would be great if some 'bike accessories dealer would put together a security package with simple instructions so we can do it ourself. i.e immobiliser, alarm, locks and GPS tracker for a couple of hundred bucks. It would be worth that to protect your investment even on an old banger. I am currently following some on Ebay that seem to end up around $100. We shall see.
    Last edited by jape; 03-30-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added info

5. #5 Re: gps trackers 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    An alarm system and locks is something I have thought of (I use cable locks already) and it all helps, but of course one always forgets or can't be bothered one day for just a few minutes at the shops ... it is enough trouble undoing helmet/jacket/gloves and gear just to pick up the bread and paper. These security tools and an immobiliser would all help against casual thieves as you have shown but serious thieves would go around with bolt cutters and/or a van to lift bikes into, or at least, I would! My household Insurance doesn't cover my bike and the motor vehicle Insurers want nearly as much yearly for the bike alone as it cost me (despite I live in a 'safer' area in the bush)! The household Insurance is progressively cheaper depending on the security devices I have fitted and the same should apply to 'bike Insurance I would assume.

The great thing about these GPS trackers if they do as suggested is that you could recover the bike or even put the cops onto the thieves' hideout/chop-shop. Probably just some wankers' back shed in most cases.

It would be great if some 'bike accessories dealer would put together a security package with simple instructions so we can do it ourself. i.e immobiliser, alarm, locks and GPS tracker for a couple of hundred bucks. It would be worth that to protect your investment even on an old banger. I am currently following some on Ebay that seem to end up around $100. We shall see.
    Found this on Taobao, cost 200RMB ~= 30$ USD. Takes a GSM SIM card, sends you back the coordinates when you sms a "g" sms. Only cost you sending one sms. Not sure about live tracking though. Anyone have any better suggestions?
    What did you find on Ebay?

6. #6 Re: gps trackers 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Found this on Taobao, cost 200RMB ~= 30$ USD. Takes a GSM SIM card, sends you back the coordinates when you sms a "g" sms. Only cost you sending one sms. Not sure about live tracking though. Anyone have any better suggestions?
    What did you find on Ebay?
    Slabo! Nice find. Anyone have any experience with this little gem?

You'd have to be disciplined about using it, making sure it's charged and switched on. It does have a USB plug, so you could wire it into your battery...
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #7 Re: gps trackers 
    Got sidetracked as usual, I decided on a gps navigator instead for the car when one came up locally for $60AU ... a navi8r G35 ... I had to send it back at first because of faults but finally got one that is good. I have stuffed my back up again so cannot ride for long at a time, just trips to the shops and the 'bike is never out of my sight so this tracker will only become a priority again in a few months when hopefully I can plan longer trips. Thanks for showing me that one, I think in times to come everybody will have these things built in.

8. #8 Re: gps trackers 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    This looks perfect, function wise. Now can someone find soemthing similar on Taobao? Google translate is not helping, anyone knows how to describe this in Chinese?

9. #9 Re: gps trackers 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Yes, this looks awesome, though none of us needs 3,000 pieces!

Did you send an email to Mr Ryan Li in the window at the bottom of the page?

cheers
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

10. #10 Re: gps trackers 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Yes, this looks awesome, though none of us needs 3,000 pieces!
    It looks like the minimum order is 50 units, which could probably be resold through members here and also among local riding friends.

I recently heard something quite disconcerting ... if my legally plated bike in Beijing (Jing A plates) gets stolen, so too are my plates! I can NOT get replacements! I was shocked by this, and at first did not believe it, but TIC (This Is China). Legals plates in Beijing are very restricted (no new issues, so you have to find an old bike to scrap and use that plate ... complicated procedure). No bike or plates, no reissue, according to a bike shop manager.

Can anyone verify whether that is true?

Anyways, a GPS tracker is a MUST ... and then the Beijing Dragons Motorcycle Club will have to establish a special "bike recovery division".

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast