Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: gps trackers

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: gps trackers 
    The device is tied to a website then? Looked to me as if it is able to send a txt with coordinates, which would be enough to use GoogleMaps or GEarth to locate. The software on the device mat be in Chinese but still would send understandable GPS co-ordinates I imagine. We need a techy in China to seek this out ... SLABOOOOOOOOOOOOOO where are you?
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

2. #32 Re: gps trackers 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    Great question that I have also wondered.

From what I understand, it charges 5 rmb a month for 30 MB of GPRS data transfer/month. Over that costs 0.01 rmb per MB. According to my techie-assistant, it is unlikely that I will exceed 30 MB a month. The SIM comes loaded with 70 rmb (supposedly 14 months worth of usage). But, why would there be a 0.01 rmb charge if it doesn't go over? My techie says the charges are applied only while you are viewing it online.

Maybe after a couple of weeks, I'll see how much I have used up of the 70 rmb that the SIM card comes loaded with.

This stuff is very confusing for a Luddite like me. I just want to know where my bike is, if it gets stolen ... or, if disaster strikes, someone can find me (as I am frequently lost).
    I didn't plough through the taobao posting, so I didn't realize it came with its own China Mobile SIM chip. Interesting. So you'll by now have registered the SIM account under your name? Do update us from time to time about how the charges are playing out.

Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    Bloody jolly hockey sticks mate! This thread died for 8 months and you have resolved it for us. Thanks heaps. So about $45?

Now then, does it say which GSM frequencies please? I would like one very much but need to be sure it will work here.
    Jape, China Mobile operates on the 2G GSM 900/1800MHz band, which I think is standard in Australia too. You'd have to get your own SIM card to use this.
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

3. #33 Re: gps trackers 
    C-Moto Guru
    The expiry date of China Mobile sim cards is 6 months right, if you don't recharge them?!

4. #34 Re: gps trackers 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The expiry date of China Mobile sim cards is 6 months right, if you don't recharge them?!
    I don't know what is normal, but my prepaid SIM with China Mobile for my regular telephone number gives me 2 years each time I recharge (using 100 rmb cards each time). I've had the same number for 9 years, so maybe it is different now?

5. #35 Re: gps trackers 
    Thanks Jeff. Unfortunately I only get 3G on my home antenna and they are going 4G in the nearby towns - but I can fire up an old GMS phone and try those frequencies. If that works when I am next standing on tiptoes on the roof, I can get an antenna that does them all. I never found a cheap Ebay Chinese antenna that is multiband for all our carriers yet, but that may have changed. First I shall try the old GMS phone and see if there is any tower nearby that carries it.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

6. #36 Re: gps trackers 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Jape,

I would have thought that the signal at your humble abode would be less important than the signal wherever your (presumably stolen) steed has been taken. As long as you can get web access, the GSM transmitter will tell you, via the network and your browser, where your bike is. Or am I misunderstanding this?
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

7. #37 Re: gps trackers 
    C-Moto Guru
    I have my card 3 years, but I checked and the expiry date is 6 months. So you would have to recharge with a cheaper card every 6 months, think there are even some 20 kuai cards.

Not sure if there's a way to increase the expiry time, you would need to have a Chinese person look into that!

8. #38 Re: gps trackers 
    Quote Originally Posted by euphonius View Post
    Jape, I would have thought that the signal at your humble abode would be less important than the signal wherever your (presumably stolen) steed has been taken. As long as you can get web access, the GSM transmitter will tell you, via the network and your browser, where your bike is. Or am I misunderstanding this?
    Not if it is tied to send the response via a server which is ChinaMobile. That would be software controlled on the chip inbuilt. But this may be all my misunderstanding that it is tied to such a service. it may simply be able to txt to any mobile as long as the set frequency is available for handshaking (900/1800 both needed for that if I remember rightly), then the txt will be forward to me on my different frequency as normal. I could then enter the co-ordinates on GMaps or similar, but will not be able to avail myself of the automatic tracking function Lao Jia Hou showed.
    Kinlon R/T KBR JL200GY-2

9. #39 Re: gps trackers 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    I purchased this item (had great reviews) - it fits perfectly in a hidden, water-resistant JH600 place (inside dash).

Just tested it, and it is definitely fantastic ... displays in real-time, very accurate.

Here's what u c at the website ...

Attachment 3509

This is a great item, in my view.
    I was looking for this a while ago, very nice find! Question, what if the battery were to be disconnected??

10. #40 Re: gps trackers 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slabo View Post
    Question, what if the battery were to be disconnected??
    Good question - the unit is hard-wired directly to the battery, so if it is disconnected, it stops working (hopefully, the thief won't be that bright ... although some thieves cut the battery cable to disconnect an alarm, this unit's wires are connected to the terminals, so it should be ok)

This vendor sells another model, with a rechargeable battery (mobile phone type), that lasts about 48 hours. It is about 100 rmb more. I thought about it, and then realized that (more likely than not) my bike may get stolen when I haven't checked on it for several days.

The one question I have is whether there will be a trickle drain on my battery, as I think it may always be on, somehow. I guess I will see if I leave my bike for a week, or so.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast