Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi guys,

My YBR 250 arrived!!
    Now I have the brake in period and it turns out that it matters what oil I use (I know very little about bikes). Its my first new bike so I want to do it right. Read plenty on internet and mostly what i see is:
    - use mineral oil on the beginning
    - use 10w-40
    - change the first oil after 30-50km (just to be sure)

I was wondering if this oil is good to brake my bike in
    http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=14474294549&

maybe something else? any suggestions are welcome

thanks

2. #32 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    That brand is OK BUT i'm the Mobil Delvac 1300 http://www.mobil.com.cn/China-Chines...r-locator.aspx "fans", so do some US guy http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=14725

3. #33 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    mostly Shanghai, sometimes northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    My YBR 250 arrived!!
    Congratulations, though of course you realize your bike does not exist without pictures. Let's see this vaporbike!

Feel free to start your own thread, with a clear and unambiguous headline. "Chinese-made Yamaha YBR250" would be great for a general thread on that bike. "Modron's YBR250 experience in Shanghai" would be good if you want to take more of a blogpost approach. Or use advanced search to find headlines that include "YBR250" and resurrect one of those, if appropriate.

As you surely know, the most popular threads in MCM are Dongfang DF 250 RTB Bobber Information and CCW Tha Heist, both of them filled with contributions about those specific bikes from many riders.

Good luck with the new bike!
    jkp
    Shanghai
    2010 JH600 "Merkin Muffley" (in Shanghai)
    2000 KLR650 "Feezer Ablanalp" (in California)

4. #34 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    humanbeing, thanks. This mobil delvac is not motorcycle specific so i didnt even consider it. This specification is probably only on the label and there is no difference in the oil but i wouldnt know so better safe than sorry.

euphonius, ill sure open new thread after I take few pics of the bike. I m quite busy now and only had time to do 4km on my new bike :( Mondays looking good so maybe Ill do some riding ;)

One more question about the oil.
    I found Mobil 1 v-twin 20w-50 oil on amazon and i love the reviews
    http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-V-Twin-2...pr_product_top
    Is it ok to use this oil in single cylinder bike? I want to use it after braking my in.

5. #35 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    We always use this: ClickHandler.ashx.jpg

Made in China so fairly cheap at 65-95 yuan each (we buy for 80 yuan), massive temperature range. I recommend it when your bike is run in. A YBR250 will need 1.5 litres.

6. #36 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    ...massive temperature range. I recommend it when your bike is run in. A YBR250 will need 1.5 litres.
    Run-in w/ 100% synthetic is NO good for ur bike.
    -
    Motul 3000 from Hangzhou seller http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15202087805 is cheaper than the link above.

7. #37 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    Did you read my previous post?

Quote Originally Posted by humanbeing
    Run-in w/ 100% synthetic is NO good for ur bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888
    I recommend it when your bike is run in.

8. #38 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks guys.
    I found the cheaper one and bought it already, cheers.
    Thanks for the advice zmc888, Im a complete beginner so its hard for me to make a decision since i know nothing. Id rather ask and be safe ;)
    Im still thinking about that v-twin oil tho hah

9. #39 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    C-Moto Senior
    I think I would be tempted to use mineral oil for the first few thou,,,then go over to synthetic oil...reason give the motor chance to bed in, and a little wear.... Synthetic you are not likey to get any wear at all..... I always use Castrol GTX,,,,always have,,,I have no recommendation for synthetic.... One thing though is there any point in putting expensive syn oil in a cheap chinese bike!!!!!!!!

10. #40 Re: oils ain't oils? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    My bike has already nearly 18000km on the clock and for most of the time i was using yamalube as its easy to get around China. Prices vary from RMB35 to RMB60 depending on how desperate you look. That oils seem to be not too bad. Before I bought imported oil on taobao but it proved to be fake so i brought 4l from Europe and it should be enough for 3 changes. Im really confused about the dip stick in YBR250. The manual says 1450ml with a filter change but actually only 1250ml goes in (acording to the dip stick). I asked Lao Jia Hou about his YBR and he said its the same. Really strange............200ml difference

anyway

Im writing this post cos i want to change fork oil and I thought its going to be straight forward but when i googled a bit i discover a new, strange world of fork oils.
    Which one would be ok for a YBR? i dont do much off roading so my suspension should be ok for normal road riding.
    Furthermore, does anyone buy oils (fork or engine) on taobao? Can you recommend a seller who doesnt sell fakes?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234