Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Knobby or Enduro Tires? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hi,
    Chinese roads don't grip tires that good, or tires grip road? I will be riding on trials sometime, so knobby tires would help. But coming down the mountain behind a blue truck spraying water on his brakes and leaking oil, I'm afraid such tires are dangerous.
    I'm about to buy a Shineray XY200GY-7. I never had a dual sport before. If you can call the XY200GY-7 a dual sport Before I came to China I had a 1992 VLX 400cc Honda (Steed 400). My first and only motorcycle, a cruiser. I used to practice emergency braking at 120km/hr, and that was easy to handle. I only dropped the bike once but it wasn't because of the tires. When would I really need dirt tires? Will I be able to brake as efficiently with the XY200GY-7 with its stock dirt tires? Or should I ask the dealer to change them?
    Thanks

2. #2 Re: Knobby or Enduro Tires? 
    No tyres will help much when it is both wet and oily in the circumstances you mention! There is a lot to consider - the ground you are covering, i.e. how much off-road and trials do you intend, how much asphalt, is the asphalt dusty and rutted , how much gravel or loose top? Then apart from knobbies or semis, there is soft and medium compound to consider and you can mix that front and rear. Need to know more about how and where you will use the bike.

Others may disagree but I find tyres and setup more critical for steering than just stopping the thing! Responsive and mannered steering is what avoids/solves most problems.

Remember also, tyre pressure being increased/decreased can compensate for a lot of road factors so why not take it as it is (assuming the reputable manufacturers have sense enough to set it up well as a compromise machine), try it for a while, drop the pressure off-road and use as rated on road?

I am using quite aggressive knobbies compared to road tyres on my dual-sport and it seems to go all over the place whatever I do and wherever I do it, so the rider skills or lack of make a big difference too lol ... but seriously it is safe enough on knobbies and handles OK and stops well enough so I don't feel the need to change them yet. If I was leaning right over and flogging it through bends and ninety percent on smooth roads I would reconsider that.

Spring setup for your weight and where you seat on the machine also affect stopping, as does braking technique. Take it as is and get to know the machine, unless the suppliers offer a no-cost tyre change choice at purchase, then we need to know more info to advise you.

3. #3 Re: Knobby or Enduro Tires? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks. Thats what i did. I just put a deposit on a revelutionary (red) XY200GY-7. i should be riding in 20 days.

4. #4 Re: Knobby or Enduro Tires? 
    congrats on the purchase! now for the long wait....

5. #5 Re: Knobby or Enduro Tires? 
    Usually the tires that come stock on Chinese bikes are not very good. Sometimes they have a coating on them which will make them VERY slick (even in relatively dry surfaces) until it been worn off so don't start practicing your emergency braking too soon.

There are a couple tire threads on MCM about what's available in China. If you're going to do any riding outside of the city, then I'd say go with some dual sport type tires(not moto-cross) because you will hit bad roads eventually. Regarding water, oil and diesel on the roads, the only thing you can do about that is not speed, don't grab the brakes and keep the bike as upright as possible.

Good luck on your new purchase and be sure to take lots of pics! The red version of the GY7 should be sweet!

Paz,
    CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com