Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Can anyone recommend learning resources on motorcycle maintenance/modification? I have basic understanding of the parts and I've worked as a bicycle mechanic before. The ultimate would be to spend a month at a good motorcycle shop and learn hands on. But I am not in Beijing and I don't really have the time.
    If I could get books, would be great. But shipping from Amazon USA to China would cost me a fortune. Or you have any websites to recommend?
    Any other place to buy such English books in China?
    Thanks

2. #2 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    Most china bike is eiher Honda single: CG125 / CB125 / Twin: CM125 | Suzuki: GS125 clone
    Haynes (UK) published many good manuals... Most honda models above can download in pdf version ( copyright). Find a printing shop isn't that hard in China
    Amazon for Int'l shipping
    www.abebooks.com OR www.betterworldbooks.com is the way

ISBN:
    CG: 9781844257539 twins: CB/CM: 9781850106449 GS:9781844252787 (flea bay uk is cheaper for this book)
    Scooter: 9781844257683

if understand spoken chinese,
    there's some disc :摩托车的构造与检修 (basic) or online videos
    Basics:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzA4NTkzMTI=.html
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzA4NjM0NjA=.html
    Last edited by humanbeing; 04-06-2010 at 04:09 AM.

3. #3 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks, Amazon for International shipping seems affordable. Did you ever ship anything to China? Any problems with customs?
    I did not get my bike, Shineray XY200GY-7, yet. I think my bike is a copy of the venerable Honda XL185.
    Haha, i don't know enough Chinese but i had a look anyway. I wish more Chinese would watch this. Air filters, oil, chain tension.. these basics i know. But i need a good reference. I see slack chains and warped brake discs all the time. It would be much cheaper to do proper maintenance once in a while, but usually Chinese are too busy working to think ahead. I hate to generalize, but I've been in China for three years now, i and i see this is a consistent pattern everywhere. They keep going until they break down in the middle of the road. I've seen blue trucks change axles in the middle of the highway.
    Last edited by slabo; 04-06-2010 at 09:56 AM.

4. #4 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    I don't think you will have any major trouble with "importing" stuff, but books are usually delayed a bit so they can verify the contents don't contain anything "unharmonious". You may have to pay duty as well, but shouldn't be more than 20 or 30 percent .

Your bike engine has a long history starting with the 90cc Benly CB/SL series in the 70's. Over the years, the same basic design was bored and stroked across the various CB ATC XL XR SL TLR FTR CRF families of 125/185/200/230cc motors. Good on ya for thinking ahead, a little maintenance goes a long way in the wilds of China.

Good tools are very cheap here, throw away the stock toolkit and make yourself a nice little portable toolkit so you can keep her tuned during your travels.

Cheers!
    ChinaV

5. #5 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    copyright
    Clymer '87
    Registry & download the factory Service Manual (Brazilian Portuguese / c&p the text @ translate.google.com )
    Last edited by humanbeing; 10-23-2010 at 12:01 PM.

6. #6 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks, seems i will be doing more learning than riding on this bike :D

7. #7 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Re-opening old threads...
    Could anyone reccommend a general (not model/manufacturer specific) motorcycle maintenance book? Maybe something oriented to Dual-sports bikes.
    Also, either I did not see this before, or it changed recently, but Amazon international only ships Chinese title books to China http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...8&docId=487250 so I'll have to find another way to get books.
    The two books specific to my bike seem to be:
    Honda XL/XR Haynes Repair Manual from 1978 thru 1987 with 80cc thru 200cc engines. Does not include 199cc RFVC-engined (4-valve) 1984-85 US XR200R

Clymer Honda XL/XR/TLR 125-200 1979-2003
    I think it's a good investment, as my bike seems to be 'tinker-friendly' so this will be a nice little learning project for me

8. #8 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    Amazon still ships CHINA but why pays more $$$
    The new 13-digit ISBN of that Haynes manual is 9781850103479
    abebooks.com is selling at US$ 19.84 + $ 6.19 (UK seller / First Class post ) ONLY
    That Clymer manual is NOT much difference than " copyright" version above
    General maintenance book copyright -" Honda Common Service Manual" in pdf, Google & d/l
    Last edited by humanbeing; 10-23-2010 at 12:29 PM.

9. #9 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    From Amazon as linked above, http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...8&docId=487250
    China

* Books (Chinese titles)
    * CDs
    * VCDs and Region 6 DVDs
    * Software, PC games, and gifts
    I think this means they ship ONLY CHINESE TITLES?
    The scanned pdf you link above, a scanned pdf of the older version of Clymer's manual, is the only one I found after googling and searching odd corners on the net. But it's unreadable. I prefer to pay 24$ and get a readable copy. Clymer's seems to be more upto date, thanks for the help humanbeing.
    Last edited by slabo; 10-23-2010 at 03:48 PM.

10. #10 Re: Motorcycle maintenance resource recommendations? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    By general maintenance book, I mean a book not specific to Honda, but maybe something that's specific to single cylinder bikes, not sport bikes. I consider this to be my first tinker project bike, but won't be the last for sure. But I'll stay with Dual-sport bikes for sure; TW200 makes me drool. I like to read about stuff before I get my hands dirty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast