Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    C-Moto Noob
    My wife and I live in Kunming, China and are looking to get a pair of smaller bikes locally for tours. We're both rather short, she especially so, so we're looking at smaller models in the lower price ranges.

I've been hunting around the net today and see the 2008 Qingqi QM125 Gy-2d as an option. Does anyone have experience with this bike? Any idea how much we should pay for one?

Or, could you recommend anything better? We'll be taking these on short and long trips in Western China and need paved and unpaved capability. Reliability probably the most important factor for us, as we don't have any mechanical skill whatever! My knowledge of bikes is extremely limited, so any advice or suggestions much appreciated!

2. #2 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hello and welcome to MCM!
    Two other guys in Kunming on this forum are Andre555 and myself. We just bought two Shineray bikes last week. If i were you, i would not think twice about buying a Yamaha YBR125. All you have to do on this bike is change the oil once in a while. I think it's the only reliable bike in China if you don't want to carry your mini toolbox with you. It works perfect from day 1. I don't think you should worry too much about going offroad, if you expect to only be on the trails when you leave the pavement. All motorcycles can go on trials. If you can walk the trail easily without using your hands for balance, any motorcycle will do. I think in China maneuverability, control, reliability and comfort on the streets are much more important.

I have a addresses and some prices from Yamaha when i was there 6 months ago, i will find and post again.

3. #3 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey Slabo, Thanks for the advice. I heard today that the motorcycle market on Guangfu Lu is no more, rumor has it that it's been moved out to Cheng Gong. We'll head out there tomorrow. So don't know if your addresses from a year ago will still be useful, but I'm very interested in the prices your were looking at. The YBR125 sounds perfect for us. Did you end up buying one? I have email enabled through the forum if you'd like to to shoot me a note.

4. #4 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi Corners,

the biggest market in Kunming I'm aware of is still in the GuangFu Lu area. The old market was broken down, the dealers moved to the compound south of this one, they are residing in the 1st floor shops down on KunLuo Lu (24.956102,102.767358) - the road name on the signs is different, thats from Google Maps.
    The Yamaha Dealer is down on Dianchi Lu - just head south until you see them on the right hand side, there is Suzuki and Yamaha.

Slabo and I bought Shineray bikes.

5. #5 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    I second the Yamaha YBR125, although you could think about the G model, which has some off-road/rough road capability:
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

6. #6 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    +3 on the YBR for shorter riders and a solid all around bike. Price is a little higher than most, but so is the quality.

Slabo & andre555 where are the reports on the new bikes Did you guys also ask about the X2 or just the GY7 from shineray?

Good luck corners, welcome to MCM!

Cheers
    ChinaV

7. #7 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I got the GY7. Report so far, we payed list price, not a jiao less. Andre got the X2. Report ? It's somewhere in Chongqing, and they still wont tell us when is exact delivery date. Mine supposedly in 2 more weeks, Andre 6 weeks! In the meantime, i will buy tools and find reference manuals.
    Why didn't i get a Yamaha? their 250cc cost 23,000 and 125cc was too small for me. I plan to travel loaded with camping gear, a kayak and the kitchen sink. I looked at most Chinese motorcycles, some are better than others, but all need a lot of love, care and patience. The only bike i thought i could use right from the shop was the Yamaha. I remember tokyokid from this forum drove all the way from China to Berlin sometime in 2008 ? A man and his wife on a YBR125!

8. #8 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    C-Moto Noob
    Slabo, ChinaV, ZMC888, thanks for the recommendation. We're going to take a long look at the Yamaha.

Andre555, thanks for the info about moto markets. Tomorrow we go.

Thanks for the welcome and advice guys.

Cheers

9. #9 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Re-opening old threads ....
    Finally found the motorcycle parts market in Kunming. Map here I can finally change my seat, and replace parts i broke!
    Most shops stock the cheapest quality possible, but possible to find good stuff. Couldn't find any tires though. There was one Kenda 'dealer' but they refused to order tires for me.
    Last edited by slabo; 10-20-2010 at 11:05 AM.

10. #10 Re: Newbs in Kunming needing bike recommendations 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    He andre555 where exactly did you buy your shineray bikes in kunming? I looked around QianXinLu today but all I found were a bunch of city bikes and an old kawasaki 250 dirtbike that didnt work. Tomorrow Ill head down to the location you marked with coordinates. cheers for the good info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast