Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi andre555 the shinray looks like an great bike please keep updating with any information or your thoughts on this bike as I am very interested in it.

2. #22 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Update

Not too many riding these days...short trips around Kunming and the night rides to the WorldCup Games. Only 600km so far.

I changed the spring in the rear suspension, original is rated at 450lb/in. The factory writes in their KTM based documentation that this steup is for a rider of 70kg. I contacted the Factory, they say no need to change, I feelt otherwise.
    Contacted Fastace, the manufacturer of the suspension assembly. Relativly easy to deal with, all via skype. They have suitable spring rated at 500lb/in. Changed and its much better, even without additional load! STRONGLY RECOMMENDED!

The handlebar was way too low for me. As the "Rewarding us with Punishment" Crew came through town I have seen the Ape Hangers on ChinaV's ride. He got me some together with Handguards - perfect fit!
    Higher Handlebar more comforatbale and handguards saved me in a small spill already!

Today I run into problems with dirt in the carburator. The guy from the shop came to my home (30km ) and cleaned it throughly
    Strongly recommended to install a fuel filter! If not dont use reserve, rather top up more often!

Put on a socket to power the GPS. GPS Holder from RAM Mounts available through taobao. Nice fit and should help during the upcomming ride to Tibetan Sichuan.

Changed the oil twice so far. The guys in the shop were surprised how bad the oil was after each only 300km change. Replaced the wiremesh with a real oilfilter at the last change and added a drain plug with magnet. Also changed the sparkplug to a NGK Iridium. All parts refernced to the Honda NX250 - all perfect fit!
    CHANGE THE OIL REGULAR!!! CHANGE THE OILFILTER!!!

The subframe around the engine is painted with some very poor quality stuff! A goldish colour shines through already, same on the trippleclamps of the front fork. Maybe some childrens waterpaint applied here

Summary:
    I like it! Its 1/10 of a BMW in China - so certain issues are accepted. So far nothing serious. The guys in the shop are bloddy lazy, you really have to push them hard.
    Still, I would not buy it if it wouldnt be for the "China Situation" many of us are in.

3. #23 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the update andre555 all very usefull information. Where is the oil filter located on this bike? Is it external or is it behind an engine case?

4. #24 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sabertooth_buterfly View Post
    ...Where is the oil filter located on this bike? Is it external or is it behind an engine case?
    Oil Filter is behind a seperate cover with 3 screws - get the Honda NX250/AX1 manual before you head of for your adventure. Download is available on ADVrider

I put on some more km in the Tibetan areas of Yunnan and Sichuan. The bike holds up very well and you can push with the road tires very hard on dry dirt roads. Hurt some Prado's and Range Rover owners and added to thier maintenance bills.

I didnt added the fuel filter yet, so ran into the same problem again as the fuel tank is small for long distances in remote areas. No big problem the carb is redundant, If the main jet is blocked just drive on the choke jet. Seems the jets are similar sized.

Met some Chinese riders on Jialing 600 around KangDing, we had a blast together the last 50km into town as that was the best road in the whole area (covered 1500km). I definetly prefered the X2's easy handling for the bad but stunning roads in this part of China.

5. #25 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the info andre if I were to get my hands on a xy250gy this is all good information

6. #26 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    Quote Originally Posted by andre555 View Post
    Oil Filter is behind a seperate cover with 3 screws - get the Honda NX250/AX1 manual before you head of for your adventure. Download is available on ADVrider

I put on some more km in the Tibetan areas of Yunnan and Sichuan. The bike holds up very well and you can push with the road tires very hard on dry dirt roads. Hurt some Prado's and Range Rover owners and added to thier maintenance bills.

I didnt added the fuel filter yet, so ran into the same problem again as the fuel tank is small for long distances in remote areas. No big problem the carb is redundant, If the main jet is blocked just drive on the choke jet. Seems the jets are similar sized.

Met some Chinese riders on Jialing 600 around KangDing, we had a blast together the last 50km into town as that was the best road in the whole area (covered 1500km). I definetly prefered the X2's easy handling for the bad but stunning roads in this part of China.
    How did the bike go at altitude? did you need to rejet?

Can we get a larger fuel tank? Maybe can add those axuliary fuel tank that sit over the rear guard of bikes.

7. #27 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    C-Moto Guru
    You have one? How is the expierence so far?

Altitude no problem - lost a bit of power but still going strong! I was bit surprised after ChinaV and Felix complained about "2hp" feeling up there.
    Highest altitude was above 4700m, and several days above 4000m around Litang. No rejeting.
    I topped the bike on a strech before Zhongdian/Shangrila at 110km/h at an altitude of 3200m.

Havent tried the factory for a larger fuel tank, but guess the response will not help...
    I'm sure there are aftermarket tanks from other (Japanese/Austrian) bikes could fit as everything on the bike is inspiered
    somewhere else. Just need a place where lots of them available for try and error. Maybe something available on taobao,
    but my Chinese is not enough for that.
    Auxilary fuel tank can definetly work.

8. #28 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    Quote Originally Posted by andre555 View Post
    You have one? How is the expierence so far?

Altitude no problem - lost a bit of power but still going strong! I was bit surprised after ChinaV and Felix complained about "2hp" feeling up there.
    Highest altitude was above 4700m, and several days above 4000m around Litang. No rejeting.
    I topped the bike on a strech before Zhongdian/Shangrila at 110km/h at an altitude of 3200m.

Havent tried the factory for a larger fuel tank, but guess the response will not help...
    I'm sure there are aftermarket tanks from other (Japanese/Austrian) bikes could fit as everything on the bike is inspiered
    somewhere else. Just need a place where lots of them available for try and error. Maybe something available on taobao,
    but my Chinese is not enough for that.
    Auxilary fuel tank can definetly work.
    No I have not got one.

Thinking about one.

9. #29 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    i would love to get my hands on one here, (and be street legal in CA.)
    Ive been riding the my 200 here for more than a year (it's a used 06) and its been trouble free for more than 2k miles. i would love to have a larger Shine though

10. #30 Re: Shineray XY250GY-2 (aka X2) 
    Not to make you feel bad, but good luck with Kalivornia! There were some '06 Jetmotos and the like street registered in Cali, so you should consider yourself lucky. Then again, JP Motorsports out of San Diego used to get the old Qlink dual sport (the Zongshen 200 XRanger) registered in California, and have gotten many of the new Qlink XF/XP (Qingqi) 200s registered in California. I have spoken to them about carrying the new line of Pitster Pro full-size bikes so I could finance them (believe it or not, but I am still considering one of the last of the orange Qlink XF200's just for the financing), but since I live in Arizona, whether the bikes could be registered in Cal. is not an issue with me. You might see the Shineray 250 bikes registered, however, if things move in the direction I think they are moving--I do think that JP Motors will carry them if you are willing to go to S. California to pick it up ;)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast